ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
which course do you do? do you like it?

I'm doing Extension :)

chepas

HSC
Me too... you haven't voted on your own poll yet though ujuphleg :D

About liking it: It has it's ups and downs... I could happily get rid of the 2U and just do composition for the Ext. Aust. music just doesn't phase me in the slightest.

Abraxus

HSC
I wanted to choose Music 2 but my school didn't offer it, so I had no choice but to do Music 1. I go to a public school, not much variety =P

chepas

HSC
^^ Mate that sucks :( Did they at least offer you to do it by distance education/correspondence?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
man, i have trouble with music with a teacher let alone by correspondence... i'd die.

its a pity you can only do Music 1 Abraxus, cos Music 2 CAN be a really good course to do at times... take comfort in the fact that by doing Music 1 you can do what you want and not this stupid Australian Music stuff. :)

Abraxus

HSC
Originally posted by ujuphleg
take comfort in the fact that by doing Music 1 you can do what you want and not this stupid Australian Music stuff. :)
Yeah that's true, cause I'm focused on the piano for Music, and Australian Music is really limited when it comes to that. And no chepas, they didn't even offer to do it by distance.

MouNtY

yeah i do music 1, and it ain't that bad...like everything it has its highs and lows...mostly highs though...my school doesn't offer Music 2 or Extension...so that kind of dies right there...but hey i'm over it...our school has a lot of great subjects but for the music we have only one class of about 13 people......so theres the reasoning behind the issue of the limitation of courses....but whateva......

miss_pie

HSC
i do music 1 and love it. we have a great music department. my class has 9 people and music 2 has 4 people and extention has 2.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
music extension involves majoring in an aspect of music ie: Performance, Composition or Musicology.

Performance Major entails you doing an extra 3 pieces, one of which must be an ensemble piece

Composition involves you writing an extended composition (for ensemble i think) -- its up to 8 minutes i think, chepas is our resident expert on that.

and Musicology and i'm our resident Extension Musicologist (wow that sounds weird) and that is a 3000 word essay.

comp and essay get submitted to the Board for marking.

um... its highly competitive. It can get pretty difficult. Its hard to stay on task. and it CAN get very time consuming, particularly if you are doing comp or essay. If you are doing Performance, logic dictates that you should be doing that amount of practice anyway.

hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
Guten Tag,

Yer, you get 6 mins for compo major. It can literally be anything you want, providing it shows 'extensive msuical and stylistic understanding', and is of 'substantial, sound musical nature'. So that's BOS jargon for 'something more than 12 bar blues in a little jazz combo'

It is two compositions, and they can be either two completley different things, or contrasting movements. I'm doing a little 2 section/movement thing, because then at least one can have a relationship with the whole thing. Eg for two completely diff things, you could have maybe, a Trumpet serenade with piano acc., then the 2nd thing could be a choral number. The trouble is, to spread your max time evenly would be 3 minutes each. So maybe 'unity' in the overall compo might make it easier, so two contrasting movements, but belonging to one work could be good.

Maybe you could ask your teachers about options you have re: music/extension for the HSC course. There has got to be something they could work out for you re: mus2 and extension. Considering Extension requires us to work largely by ourselves and independently (whether it's pracitce for perf, or slaving over compo or essay 14 hours a day ;) ), I couldn't see a problem for you (unless your shcool doesn't offer Music 2)... though starting Extension if you're in yr12 now might be slightly difficult, lol :)

- "Cheaps" :D :p

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i did music 1, my school didn't offer music 2 :(
but even if they did, i probably wouldn't have done it anyway.

my class had around 10 people in yr11, and then three in yr12 :p

chepas

HSC
^^^ Pfff.
"17th June 2004 07:38 PM"
"Last edited by ujuphleg on 29th June 2004 at 09:48 PM", YOU had to realise the fault of your ways :p :D

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
i do music 2 and extension. At my old school they had music 2 but the music teacher left and there werent enuf students doin that course so they dont have music 2 anymore so everyone was forced to move down to music 1 or something stupid like that. i knew that was gona happen so moved schools and now its so much better cos there are heaps of people doing music.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
yarrr, they only started offering music 2 this year!
damn lucky year 11 kiddies
haha, i'm not even good enough for music 1, what am i complaining about?

lord chumpley

HSC
and i thought i was alone...

my school's music department is pretty crappy. i'm the only one in my year doing music 2, and my teacher's pretty disorganised. but i don't mind, i do a program at the conservatorium which mostly backs me up on aural stuff...but i'm always worrying whether i'm half a year behind everybody else =S

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I wanted to do music 2... but i cant, so have to do music 1 (an insult to my musical abilities, and not helped by having a halfwit teacher). Same old sob story: country public school, not enough people, no qualified teachers, already doing 2 subjects by correspondence... I wanted to do Ext 1 English too, but not enough people, and I was 'strongly reccommended' NOT to do it by distance ed, even though they suggested that anyone with a band 6 and an A in the school certificate should do it.... hypocrites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)