Where to study Computer Science then? (1 Viewer)

BubyDudy

HSC
Hello people!

I am a 17 years old boy from Greece that graduated High School last year. I took my greek exams and did average. I am retaking them this year but I decided to apply to english universities so I have a "backup" in case I don't manage to get the marks I need in my greek exams. (Greek structure of entering a university is different than the english one but I don't think anyone is interested on it, so I won't talk about it!
)

The problem is that I can only apply to 6 and my list has about...19. I went through the Ucas site and checked every Computer Science university. I mainly looked at the courses to decide if I like one or not. But it wasn't enough for me to end up with only 6.

So, here is where I need your help. I could easily take a look at the Newspapers (The Guardian, Times, etc) rankings but I don't think it is 100% accurate (universities with great names seem to stay on high positions even if not deserving it, plus previous-current students always have something more to say about universites).

It may sound a bit like I am a dreamer (with dreams amazingly hard to become reality) but the idea of becoming someone really important is in my head. The saying "Computer Science is about solving problems" finds me with it but what if I go a little deeper and say that "Computer Science is about avoiding problems at all"? I hope you understand that my goal isn't just to get a CS deegree and then live a common life. I want to change this world!!!

Hardware was moving fast in the previous years and I count myself with these that say "If we want speed then programmers should also begin thinking smarter algorithms". BUT, I think there are lots of possibilities for a revolution in hardware. With these in mind I chose Computer Science. (It may be a mistake though because one can said CS isn't really about hardware but it doesn't really matter, because in the software vs hardware match, I am with software
).

So, what I expect from my future university is to treat me not just like "another" student (no offense to these that count themeselves "simple" students though) but as an ambitious person. I would also LOVE research (with no worries about its subject). I don't really care about the location of the uni, or the nightlife, or the cost, or whatever else not really relevant with the studies. I say "It's studying, not clubbing!".

Well, sorry if it has become boring but it is a really important decision for me. I am listing the 19 unis above and any comments about any of them is really appreciated. However, if I missed any universities you think that are for me, feel free to post them!

Here we are:
Anglia Ruskin (Cambridge and Chelmsford)
Bangor (Wales)
Uni of Birmingham
Uni of Cardiff
Uni of Bradford
Uni of Glamorgan
Lancaster Uni
Uni of Leicester
Royal Holloway, Uni of London
London's Global University
London Metropolitan Uni
Uni of Manchester
Uni of Nottingham
Nottingham Trent Uni
Uni of Reading
Uni of Southampton
Uni of St Andrews
Uni of Strathclyde
Uni of Warwick

Notes:
When said "any comments" above, what I meant is comments about: teachers, facilities, research, post gradute courses, specializations in a specific subject. No matter if good or bad, I need them all.

That's it! I hope I get some comments. I also hope you read it all!
If yes, I REALLY THANK YOU!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Hi, I recommend in this order:
UWS
Bangor
Nottingham Trent Uni
Uni of Strathclyde
Anglia Ruskin
Uni of Glamorgan

jarro_2783

HSC
I recommand the University of New South Wales. Richard Buckland is the best computer science lecturer in the world (ok he won a national teaching award, close enough). If you want to change the world then UNSW with Richard Buckland is the best place to do it.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Most of the universities you listed are ex-polys. You should consider York, Durham, London Unis, Warwick (quite good). The rest will result in you being unemployed when you graduate. Reputation is important in Europe. Getting a first from an ex poly isn't good enough unless you get a Msc from a sandstone/golden triangle or a redbrick at a last opportunity. (google if you dont know what those terms mean).

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
jarro_2783 said:
I recommand the University of New South Wales. Richard Buckland is the best computer science lecturer in the world (ok he won a national teaching award, close enough). If you want to change the world then UNSW with Richard Buckland is the best place to do it.
So effectively, chose unsw because you'll get taught by Richard once, maybe twice in your 3-4 years of study? tbh, i've seen better

BubyDudy

HSC
Thanks for still being active here, I am about to make my final decision this weekend and every extra info is welcome! :)

Cardiff, Reading, Manchester, Southampton, Warwick and Birmingham are the favourites...

(If my choice was about lecturers, then I would go to Princeton, for Mr Bernard Chazelle! :D)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
acmilan said:
Hi, I recommend in this order:
UWS
Bangor
Nottingham Trent Uni
Uni of Strathclyde
Anglia Ruskin
Uni of Glamorgan
You bastard. ;)

ANU, UQ, UNSW are the top ones in Australia, that I know of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)