Where to stay at UC (1 Viewer)

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
My friends who stay on campus really liked it. I think the event is to 'break the ice'.

The UC accomodation is very 'family' like if that makes sense. Generally, each 'house' will have say 8 people in the house, with each having their own room, but share a common lounge room and kitchen etc. They make u go to the orientation in 1st yr - I don't really think it would be that bad - its only for a day (if that even!)

I think International House is the best - 50% Aussie, 50% international - a bit more expensive but better rooms..

2003HSC

Hey googy i see your doing applied economics.
Im thinking of that or major in accounting. Exactly what kind of things do you learn in applied economics?
And how are the part time employment opportunities in canberra?

I dont really care too much about the quality of the rooms as long as i can afford them:)

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Yep - I am doing applied economics.
You can do a single degree in Applied Economics and do a major in Accounting.
http://www.canberra.edu.au/handbook/mantech-Degree.html

That link shows you the structure. Basically after you do the core economic units, you do 16 credit points (4 level 3 subjects) which there are about 20 subjects you can do. You can do mathematics ones, marketing ones, or 'economic' type ones such as public sector economics, human resource economics etc - you can do any 4.

The economics course last year got rated the best in Australia by the good guides - it is a really 'practical' course. They use Problem Based Learning, meaning a lot of things are learnt by examples/

UC is located in Bruce, which is just a short walk (prob 15 mins) from Westfield Mall at Belconnen - with coles, woolies, etc - so you could get a part time job there. I dont actually work, but if you want a cadetship the ATO has them in Canberra - i done that for a few months before i left.

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Forgot to say:

The Uni is looking at implementing a new omnibus degree, which will replace all the business, economic and commerce courses to a new 'Commerce' degree. So if you wanted to do economics, you would do say Bachelor of Commerce, majoring in Applied Economics and Accounting. I think it is similiar to what Uni of Melb done.

Dont worry though - it is still in discussion mode, and the Division of Business, Law and Information Sciences hasn't sent it off for approval, so I can guarantee (99.99%) that for next yr the course will be the same - it will be for the people coming in in 2005.

2003HSC

im applying for that cadetship. Why did you leave? Was it is really that bad

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Are you applying for it in Canberra (the cadetship)?

No - it was great!! They only give out 1 commerce cadetship, and 18 IT and 2 Bus Admin - all hecs paid, 17K a yr plus book allowance, living away from home (about 3 K a yr) etc and No contract!

It was good - u studied 3 subjects (full time load) and worked 18 hrs a week and full time in the holidays...

The reason I left was cause u had to do accounting, i wanted to do double degree, finance and banking with economics.. If you do get to the interview, Helen and Brenda run the cadet program - they r pretty good people!!

Let me know how you get on with it!

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Oh forgot to say:

I seen in the other threat you are looking @ the ANU

If you want the cadetship, a requirement of the ATO is that the study is undertaken at the University of Canberra..

Just thought I'd let you know...

2003HSC

Yeah I know I have to go to canberra uni, but if i get a high UAI and can get into ANU law/commerce than I'd probably do that.
But the cadetsahip sounds like such a great opoportunity, and plus all those bonuses! Too bad they only offer 1 commerce cadetship, the competition for getting it must be pretty high.

HSC
is there a weblink or something for me to check out these cadetships? im interested in the IT ones...is it too late?

HSC
hey thanks man!

hmm ive had a look at it...the deadline is too close...cant afford to waste my precious study time...

and from what i read above...you cant do double degree...which is something i wanna do....

i probly wont apply...but thanks anyway googy!

2003HSC

googy! how did you get that cadetship? Im going for the interview in about a week and i dont know what to do.
what are they going to ask me? what should i wear? what should i say?
I want that cadetship!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)