• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

where to do med? (1 Viewer)

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Hey,
I don't do med - my cousin went to monash,Clayton and said the Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences dept. had a good rep - don't know anything about Melb. inasero does med at Monash and will be able to give you a better answer. :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
normally ppl put melb.. but monash is pretti good...
read the course outlines and see which one suits ure personality.. cos some unis focus on group work while others dun.. if ure outgoing .. monash.. melb is if ure freakily smart :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Why is this all the way down here and not in Medland?

Damn, now I need to find an admin to move it...

(Monash - you get MedLaw!)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i think its here cos its a melbourne specific question...although yeah i can see where you're coming from.

well, look at it this way...people say sydney uni is better at engineering because they have higher UAI cutoffs. but the fact of the matter is that their faculty accepts less school leavers, thereby promoting competition. An extreme example if this case is with the aeronautical engineering course, which accepts only 20 or so students. Also, the engineering faculty is perceived to be better at USyd just because of the institution's history and name value. I can tell you from first had experience, interviewing professors and open days that UNSW is just as good (in fact, I suspect better) than USyd. furthermore, advanced maths in USyd is harder to get into prely because of the aforementioned reason. You might think why the hell is this guy blabbing on about irrelevant stuff. You see, Melbourne medicine students do need really high ENTER scores (equivalent to UAI), even if they do get in thru the 100pc UMAT stream. Although the number of local students there is the same as monash, the name value is mightily better, i can assure you.

As for your question (finally!), I can't tell you for sure where to do medicine because each uni have their own empases. Melb Uni is somewhat more traditional and based on textbook learning and lectures. Monash doesn't do 'real' medicine until uch later on in first year as we beat around the bush doing interpersonal communication, holisitic healing, stress management kinda stuff. Another contrast is that Melb medicine does the clinical skills and communication/legal/ethical assessments separately, whereas everything in monash is integrated.
Monash has a 5 year course whereas melb has a 6 year course as it is compulsory for them to combine their degree with arts or medical science, so it could be argued that melb med students experience a more well rounded degree. if you really, want, you could take an intermission in fourth year and produce a thesis to gain the award of BMedSci.
Finally, one major peeve i have with my uni is that its in the middle of nowhere and far away from the city, whereas Melb Uni is just around the corner from lygon street. so i guess itd be ore convenient for you to study at melb uni. the flipside is that you can study better in clayton cos there are less distractions and the living costs are cheaper.

ultimatey, the decision is up to you and trust me, once you are doing the round in hospitals it's not the uni which depends what kind of practitioner you are, but how well you try and succeed in relation to your peers...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
haha if you're really that thankful then actions speak louder than words...add to my reputation (snowflake looking thing below my avatar)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
*Pooja* said:
Rather I was going to klik on the triangular-looking-thingy…..
DO IT!!!!!!

if u realli want to do med.. come to adel.. ;) im here.. i lik inasero and holding hand + long walks on the beach at sunset...... ...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
in short, it means that alvin is very homosexual :D

also, please add to my reputation! i notice you havent done so yet and Im not happy jan

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hehe, that means you've already added to him in the past and haven't repped enough others since. You need around 20 people before you can do the same member again. Maybe you only need to rep one more person, you should give me a positive point to find out! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)