Where should i start if i wanna learn programming?? (1 Viewer)

Where should i start if i wanna learn programming?? is C++ the best place to start or wat?? and then wat next??

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
umm do u know hwo to do basic algorithms n stuff?
i suggest u start off with something basic first like qbasic (yes i know its shit)

once u understand the concepts of algorithms start off with VB its a lot easier than c or c ++ from my experience

Numero Uno

HSC
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
umm do u know hwo to do basic algorithms n stuff?
i suggest u start off with something basic first like qbasic (yes i know its shit)

once u understand the concepts of algorithms start off with VB its a lot easier than c or c ++ from my experience
Qbasic pwns C++

Print "hello"
end

Winston

HSC
I'd suggest you to touch a nice OOP language C++, C#, .NET, or Java, either one will help you're programming grounding. I'd suggest not to touch vb6 as soon it will be abandoned, some may say it's still useful but soon it will become useless and it's not true OOP, if you don't know what OOP is, it stands for Object Oriented Programming.

-X-

HSC
N/A
If your really interested, i'd start with Pascal. IMO, you will learn more with Pascal then QB/VB. If you like, you can start with QB/VB and learn the simple basics then move to Pascal. Then when you're feeling confident with Pascal, you can move to Java/C or perhaps any language you like.

Remember, simply learning programming languages doesn't make you any more of a programmer than someone who only knows VB. Same with being able to speak 30 different languages. It doesn't make you any more intelligent than someone who only knows Hindu (although you may have an incredible memory!). Good Luck. :)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by -X-
If your really interested, i'd start with Pascal. IMO, you will learn more with Pascal then QB/VB. If you like, you can start with QB/VB and learn the simple basics then move to Pascal. Then when you're feeling confident with Pascal, you can move to Java/C or perhaps any language you like.

Remember, simply learning programming languages doesn't make you any more of a programmer than someone who only knows VB. Same with being able to speak 30 different languages. It doesn't make you any more intelligent than someone who only knows Hindu (although you may have an incredible memory!). Good Luck. :)

i think if you're really in for programming and starting off good rather bad, don't go for any VB languages other than VB.NET because any previous versions of VB does not comply with OOP concepts at all, well partially but it doesnt have much OOP stuff in it.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Yeh im just saying to start with VB to learn basics only. Doesn't matter if its getting abandoned as long as he learns the basics to get him started on Pascal (although it's not neccessary for Pascal). But really i reckon starting of VB then moving on to other languages like Java, C etc... will confuse you more. Thats why i say Pascal is more appropiate for beginers. IMO VB (6, .net, etc... ) should be learnt after you are familiar with programming. Just depends on the way you look at it i guess. :)

edit: If you want to learn OOP, then Java would be best suited i think.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Winston: VB6 is not dead.

Dnt stop runnin: Don't start with a Basic language. You will find it much harder in future to pick up other languages if you do.
You might also want to think about the fact that you can get perfectly free compilers for pretty much any language _other_ than VB.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Fosweb
Winston: VB6 is not dead.

Dnt stop runnin: Don't start with a Basic language. You will find it much harder in future to pick up other languages if you do.
You might also want to think about the fact that you can get perfectly free compilers for pretty much any language _other_ than VB.

I didn't mean it's completely dead but it partially will be in a few yrs time and if dnt_stop running learns vb6 it would of been a waste of time since if he/she would move to another language he/she would of have to learn all the OOP concepts.

Yeah i agree there's heaps of free compilers and IDE's like Sharp Develop.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
an easy programming language i found to start off was, flash actionscripting....and then, from there i moved onto c++....but i haven't touched it (c++) for a long time though. :D

Smurfwow

Member Assistant
HSC
how about a compromise...

PASCAL.Net :p

(seriously, i dont think it really matters what you start with, as long as you dont pick up any bad coding habbits)

Huy

HSC
N/A
That's very helpful psycho_mushy. :rolleyes:
Originally posted by dnt stop runnin
Where should i start if i wanna learn programming?? is C++ the best place to start or wat?? and then wat next??
dnt stop runnin wants to learn programming.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by dnt stop runnin
Where should i start if i wanna learn programming??
Originally posted by psycho_mushy
how bout u don't program at all? :D
If you knew he wanted to program, why did you tell him not to?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I think your signature pretty much sums up your mind :)

Winston

HSC
PM if you have nothing productive to say then fuck out of this thread! :chainsaw:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)