• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Where should I be? (1 Viewer)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Situation: Accelerated Jap last year, and so this year I'll be sitting the HSC. I'm starting to really panic, not only about where my class is - but where I am in relation to where I'm 'supposed to be' in terms of what grammar/vocab I should know compared to the rest of the state if I'm aiming for a Band 6.

I know schools work at entirely different paces, but is there anyway of telling what I should know by now?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
nandayo said:
Situation: Accelerated Jap last year, and so this year I'll be sitting the HSC. I'm starting to really panic, not only about where my class is - but where I am in relation to where I'm 'supposed to be' in terms of what grammar/vocab I should know compared to the rest of the state if I'm aiming for a Band 6.

I know schools work at entirely different paces, but is there anyway of telling what I should know by now?
In terms of topics, check the syllabus. You should know all of the preliminary topic.

Akeru

Rain maker
HSC
And learn to write the most common ones.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Just looked on the syllabus that's up on the Board of Studies website, but it doesn't set a division between what is prelim work and what is Stage 6 work - it just plots out what you should know by the time of your exam. I already know all the prescribed kanji cause there's only 150 of them, but with grammar etc. is there no strict 'prelim' vocab because different schools go at different paces but end up at the same place (End of Stage 6 Vocab)?

I'm pretty sure we got a Preliminary Syllabus for Eco, but I can't see any strictly Prelim Syllabus for Jap...am I looking in the wrong place, or am I right? Wrong? Half-right? Englighten me.

Akeru

Rain maker
HSC
You get examined on everything u've learnt in these 2 yrs.
The structures, vocab, and kanji stated in that syllabus.
There's no "pre-lim" syllabus.

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I didn't mean learn preliminary grammar. I meant learn the preliminary topic. Make sure you can talk about yourself, places of interest in Australia and so on. Don't assume you can, prepare.

There's technically 200 kanji for Continuers. You're supposed to recognise all of them, but know how to write 150. If you spent time over in Japan that should be a cinch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)