*where*is*the*light*switch -shipwrecks (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
btw nice thread title? very...er...profound :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by inasero
O2 + 4H+ + 4e- ----->2H2O E0=+1.23V
yes, under normal beaker/open atmosphere conditions, but not in that textbook example... pathways was talking about submerged pipes... so yeah, minimal oxygen, reaction not gonna happen...

screw the nerst - LoL! :)

PS. Like phenol, i wanna go taiwannnnnnnnnn - NOW!

Last edited:

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
btw nice thread title? very...er...profound :)
oh~ haha... it's an illustration of brain processes trying to work... whenever i understand something u see light bulbs flashing above my head.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
depends...in normal sea water i dont c y not....cos its not exactly what you would call stagnant...and anyhows im sure the other one quoited there is not gonna happen so whats it gonna be? you dont have much of a choice aye? and theyre not talking bout impressed currents is this circumstance...ergo out with the old and in with the new i say!

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
the zinc will actually have a higher potential than the one given on the sheet, becuase the ones on hte sheet are for electrodes in 1M solution. But in saltwater there's no zinc.. so the potential will be higher. So even if u have the water equation going
h2o + e- --> 1/2h2 + oh-
a galvanic cell would still be set up.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
okay, read thru everything, lemme try to clean this up...

Page 419, Chemistry Pathways, Thickett.
Two pieces of iron pipe are placed in a container of salty water. The end of one pipe is wrapped with zinc wire and the end of the other pipe is wrapped with copper write. The two ends are left in salty water for a weak and inspected for rust. Use standards potential table to predict which pripe will shower (sic) a greater amount of corrosion
Thickett then illustrates this by a graphical equivalent with the four strips of metal in two beakers.

Basically phenol is saying the standards potential table is not fixed and unchangeable; it is standardised for 1 molar solutions of the ions... so, given this case, suspecting that the salt solution has ~0% Zn2+:

Zn <===> Zn2+ + 2e-

this time, the equilibrium lies to the right (low concentration of Zn2+, LeChats tries to change it). therefore more electrons. therefore more voltage. therefore reaction still spontaneous.

whenever inas says ergo now i think Colonel Sanders! :D

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
i never knew Le Chat's principle is so infectious (frigid using it whenever possible)

it is a cheap rip-off of the laws of thermodynamics for a start :(

this time, the equilibrium lies to the right (low concentration of Zn2+, LeChats tries to change it). therefore more electrons. therefore more voltage. therefore reaction still spontaneous.
frigid, remember this is MY analogy - attempt to make it easier, not the real thing

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by phenol
i never knew Le Chat's principle is so infectious (frigid using it whenever possible)
it is a cheap rip-off of the laws of thermodynamics for a start :(
frigid, remember this is MY analogy - attempt to make it easier, not the real thing
so protective of ur stuff! hahahahahhahaha! :D
but mr. LeChats is in syllabus, thermo and nerst is not...

what else did we try to explain with LeChats? like 'why no pH when you dilute carbonic acid'.... hehe mr. LeChats. :D

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
not protective frigid :) it is an analogy which suppose to make you understand the real thing easier. i dont want to lead you into the world of BOS-Chemistry (where H3O+ just decides to have one hydrogen differently bonded compared to the other two :D )

and btw, electron is not even a chemical, you cant add more electrons to shift the equilibrium in certain direction :D oh and you certainly cant buy 1 molar electrons from a chem shop :D LOL

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
HAHHAHAHAHA!

actually, i disagree... aren't electrolytic cells about driving the equilibrium backwards by chucking electrons back into the equation and making a non-spontaneous reaction occur? :p

Last edited:

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
LOL :D

i can h4x you harder but since it is the exams tomorrow and your external mark directly affects mine... i'll stop the demoralising :)

but dont you dare tell the examiners you can buy bottled 7molar electrons and protons :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)