where have all the good movies gone? (1 Viewer)

icecreamdisco

HSC
crazyhomo said:
shrek 2, harry potter 3, spiderman 2, xmen 2, the bourne supremacy, ocean's twelve, kill bill vol 2, riddick, meet the fockers, star wars 3 and batman begins, yo
meet the fockers? shrek 2?? riddick??!

wiggity-wack.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Ocean's 12 was a waste of my time =/

Julia Roberts playing herself? Com'on

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
icecreamdisco said:
meet the fockers? shrek 2?? riddick??!

wiggity-wack.
shrek 2 was the highest grossing movie of 2004. musta done something right (no, i didn't like it). i actually enjoyed riddick, never saw fockers

but can you name me 10 sequels from 1994 that were worth seeing?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
crazyhomo said:
shrek 2, harry potter 3, spiderman 2, xmen 2, the bourne supremacy, ocean's twelve, kill bill vol 2, riddick, meet the fockers, star wars 3 and batman begins, yo
what about harry potter 2? what about star wars 1 and 2? the other batman movies (batman and robin, anyone??) general consensus: they sucked. the others on your list are debatable. shrek 2? riddick? meet the fockers?? please.

kill bill doesn't count because it was originally supposed to be one movie but it was simply cut in two.

Last edited:

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Lundy said:
what about harry potter 2? what about star wars 1 and 2? the other batman movies (batman and robin, anyone??) general consensus: they sucked. the others on your list are debatable. shrek 2? riddick? meet the fockers?? please.

kill bill doesn't count because it was originally supposed to be one movie but it was simply cut in two.
how many times have you seen star wars 1 and 2? and i did say recent sequels, not a sequel from almost 10 years ago. and wow, harry potter two was crap, so that means my statement 'sequels of today show that the amount of quality films is increasing'. about 50% of sequels and remakes released in the last 5 years have been worth seeing

and please, think about whether your post actually supports or contradicts my argument. stop arguing for the sake of arguing. 'i didnt like one of the sequels you mentioned' does not equal 'every sequel ever made is shit'

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Icecream is spot-on as usual. There are plenty of great movies being made, you just have to spend a lot more effort looking for them.

Has anyone been keeping an eye on the Venice Film festival? There are quite a few movies there I'd love to see pretty soon. On the top of that list would be Romance and Cigarettes, followed by Goodnight and Good Luck.

crazyhomo said:
What I don't get is why you think the ability to spawn sequels is a good indicator of a film's quality. Do you really believe that the 50s, 70s or 90s were worse eras for filmmaking because sequel-making wasn't a part of Hollywood's culture? Films don't have sequels because they're good, they have sequels because they were created with sequels in mind.. and they were created with sequels in mind to make money.

Last edited:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
crazyhomo said:
how many times have you seen star wars 1 and 2? and i did say recent sequels, not a sequel from almost 10 years ago. and wow, harry potter two was crap, so that means my statement 'sequels of today show that the amount of quality films is increasing'. about 50% of sequels and remakes released in the last 5 years have been worth seeing

and please, think about whether your post actually supports or contradicts my argument. stop arguing for the sake of arguing. 'i didnt like one of the sequels you mentioned' does not equal 'every sequel ever made is shit'
You simply rattled off a list of subjectively "good" sequels.

Hahaha, yes because I totally said "every sequel is shit!" I love having words put in my mouth. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Lundy said:
Hahaha, yes because I totally said "every sequel is shit!" I love having words put in my mouth. :rolleyes:
Lundy said:
Most sequels still reek of laziness and a desire to beat a horse for as much as its worth.
[comment]i'm back to save the universe[/comment]

koala_face

crazyhomo said:
movies currently in cinemas that are not sequels or remakes:

Stealth
Sky High
Wedding Crashers
Red-Eye
Skeleton Key
The Adventures of Shark Boy & Lava Girl
Unleashed
Look Both Ways
Little Fish
The Perfect Man
Kicking & Screaming
Monster-in-Law
A Good Woman
Oyster Farmer
P.S.
The Island
Kung Fu Hustle
Me & My Sister
Millions
Turtles Can Fly
The Last Days
Mysterious Skin
Sin City
What the Bleep Do We Know?
Lords of Dogtown
Madagascar
My House in Umbria
Ladies in Lavender
Palindromes
Layer Cake
stealth is just a ripo off of 2001 by Stanley Kubrick- it may not aknowledge it but there is still very little originalaity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)