Where can I study theatre in NSW? (1 Viewer)

matreha

HSC
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone knew which universities in NSW offer the best theatre courses? I have only found UOW, Charles Sturt and Notre Dame. I am not keen on going to Charles Sturt or Notre Dame so that only leaves UOW.

Does anyone study theatre at UOW? If so, how is it? If not, do you know of any other universities in NSW where I can study theatre?

Thanks!

matreha

HSC
Hi! Thanks for replying :)

I have heard that the UNSW theatre major is very theory based, with few practical elements, and I am searching for something where there is at least an equal balance. Do you know any more information about it?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi! Thanks for replying :)

I have heard that the UNSW theatre major is very theory based, with few practical elements, and I am searching for something where there is at least an equal balance. Do you know any more information about it?
Well, friend of mine is currently doing a Theatre major

In his second year I believe, he did a course called "Staging the Text" where he and the other people in his class helped stage and produce a play

And then last year, he did a course called "Performance and Practice" or something where he again helped stage a theatre event but I think the focus was less on the group, but more on smaller group presentations rather than an ensemble sort of thing

And this year, he did an Individual Performance course where he had to do some stuff by himself

So there's at least three courses where there is practical stuff - so I'm guessing the rest is theory. However if you're like him and want more practical stuff, you just join societies like NUTS or Studio Four and they put on several shows a year or semester.

As a general rule, I don't think you'll get many where it's 50% theory and 50% practical because:

1. The opportunities for practical outside the learning academic environment are plentiful
2. Such a heavy emphasis on practical means you'll be doing a lot of rehearsing and if you've ever staged a play or been involved in anything like that, it's a massive hassle - and to do that extremely often would basically be draining, mentally, emotionally and physically
3. I'm sure there'd be issues with marking and judgement of practical work - and there being so much of it
4. Studying theatre is best done by studying theatre. Practical work is not really... 'studying theatre'. It's a minor component. That's why the Theatre major at UNSW is called "Theatre and Performance Studies". As in, after two or so staging of theatre events, you'd know pretty much everything already, I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)