Where can I buy an old... (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
...and old AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton CPU. I cbf'ed to buy a new motherboard and this is the best my current one (socket A) can take. I know where I can get all the other stuff I want to upgrade with (RAM and video card), but finding somewhere with this CPU is proving exceedingly difficult! Best places I can find are eBay (which I want to avoid) and a website called Computer Warehouse Australia (which has none in stock from what I can tell).

Ideas?

EDIT: I'd want the fan and heatsink too...

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I've probably got a 2400+ lying around somewhere that I'm no longer using...

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
You can get some CPU from Capitol Computer. 3200++ are selling for bout 100 i think

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
They seem shifty.

WAF: Mine's a 2500+ so it'd be a step down. :( I also want to try my hand at overclocking the 2500+ once I get a new processor, as I hear you can get them up to 3200+ type performance with a bit of tweaking. But since it'd be my first time, I'd be pretty unwilling to do that unless I had a backup.

I'll check out Capitol Computer. Thanks zehurricane! :D

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Tbh though I think a new motherboard would only cost <$100 and then you could get a better processor for the same price.

Also maybe try North Rocks computer markets? They're on Sundays around lunchtime at Muirfield High School and have tonnes of old computer parts, and not all of them are necessarily second hand.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
i told you, i'm poor! But I guess that if I got a new motherboard, then that would leave room for better upgrades in the future. I'll just need to save teh cash for a little longer is all. :( Do all these new motherboards still have regular PCI slots in them? Cause if not then my video card would be a vegetable.

Thanks for the advice WAF. I'll check it out too. :D

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yes they do, but again you're probably better off spending $50 on some shitty PCI-E card.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I'll look into it. I'm concerned that these new fangled components (aka: motherboard) won't fit into my case. It's an antec lanboy. Any idea if I'd need to replace that if I wanted a new motherboard?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I'll look into it. I'm concerned that these new fangled components (aka: motherboard) won't fit into my case. It's an antec lanboy. Any idea if I'd need to replace that if I wanted a new motherboard?
Motherboard form factors haven't changed since the days of the Pentium II.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Don't new motherboards have different plugs for connecting hard drives and optical drives and whatever these days? Like, the big thick ribbon cables are a thing of the past?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
GRRRR!

They warned me it would be like this. You want to upgrade your computer a bit and you end up pretty much buying a whole new machine. I probably shouldn't have waited...5 years or whatever, I guess.

You can buy adapters to get one of these Serial ATA things to Parallel ATA's, can you not? I'm sure I read about that in a PC Powerplay magazine at a shop once.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you're lucky you'll be able to find a motherboard that supports both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)