WHERE ARE YOU UP2? (take 3) (1 Viewer)

Trev

stix
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
It sounds like you're excited about it...isn't Conics meant to be a bitch of a topic?
I don't know :p but if it is similiar to locus and the parabola it shouldn't be that bad!
05ers, is it similar to this? I find it one of the easiest topics, most of my class don't seem to do them though.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
It sounds like you're excited about it...isn't Conics meant to be a bitch of a topic?
It's not, really. I very much enjoy it. The proofs aren't as daunting as they appear and it's a sufficient mix of algebra and geometry such that neither becomes too boring.

HSC
we have done complex nos ,graphs and just finished conics should start on polynomials next week

i thought our school was behind ... my teacher keeps on saying we are behind we need to have morning or lunch or afternoon classes ::::(

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
It's not, really. I very much enjoy it. The proofs aren't as daunting as they appear and it's a sufficient mix of algebra and geometry such that neither becomes too boring.
I wouldn't mind the algebra part, but I hate geometry.
Although, according to the syllabus you'll never have to find the locus as a hyperbola or an ellipse...which is good :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Trev said:
Don't be so pesimistic...
...I HATE all things probability! :eek:
lol.
I started conics on my own and it seemed ok, but I decided to leave it for my teacher to explain...maybe I'll consider looking over it again soon.

Btw. I hate probability as well...particularly P&C...worst MX1 topic!

Trev

stix
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
lol.
I started conics on my own and it seemed ok, but I decided to leave it for my teacher to explain...maybe I'll consider looking over it again soon.

We are just going through worksheets at the moment to develop an understanding of conics before we do the exercises. We are only using Fitzpatrick, as our teacher thinks Arnold to be a bad textbook for Conics.

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
lol.

omg i hate probability too its probably my only weakness in maths :(

Conics is easy i'm finding reading through mechanics the hardest
conics is like parabola but harder.

DistantCube

HSC
Done complex numbers, almost done conics. Assessment in 2 weeks :/.

Conics I'm cool with so far, hardly any problems at all. Complex numbers I dont think are that difficult, there are some nuts out questions I have seen, but I will need to study it for at least a week in advance since I forgot it all...haha.

Hobbsee

HSC
done complex numbers, graphs, and polynomials already. Just started integration this week....

My big fear is if i find i cant do this stuff...i'm only doing 10 units...but i guess i'll find out after the first assessment task....

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
<:eQuiLiBriUm:> said:
omg i hate probability too its probably my only weakness in maths :(

Conics is easy i'm finding reading through mechanics the hardest
conics is like parabola but harder.
Probability seems to be the pet hate of most students...from General through to Ext 2.

Reading through conics, I thought the same thing: "harder parametrics", but I guess I'll find out next term (or earlier if I work ahead). I'm going to find Mechanics the most difficult as well, coz I don't do Physics...although I'm not sure that physics helps all that much for Ext 2 Mechanics.

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
yeh i will join the kids and say probability is stupid and annoying.
the topic i have actually found pretty hard is polynomials. but its ok, cos complex and conics is very cruisy. but theres something about polynomials that is beyond me.

Jaydels

HSC
yeah i found polynomials the hardest
we've only just started conics, but complex numbers were ok and graphing was pretty easy
we finished polynomials weeks ago but im still going over it because i don't get half of it

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
Trev said:
We are only using Fitzpatrick, as our teacher thinks Arnold to be a bad textbook for Conics.
from memory...arnold isnt a 'bad textbook' 4 conics, its harder and doesnt grade the questions well but it has alot of hard questions that are good 4 preparing you for the hsc...

Trev

stix
HSC
You both say that polynomials is the harder topic? Eh...? I thought it was supposed to be one of the easier topics - and I found it has been (so far). There isn't much thinking involved in polynomials, which I quite like :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
In order of ease for me: Polynomials, Complex Numbers, Graphs, Conics. With polynomials being easiest.

Cheezy-G

EXt 2 Maths

We've done complex numbers, graphs, Conics and have just started polynomials

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
So far I've covered complex numbers, polynomials and some of conics in class (while having done most of integration at home) and I've found polynomials to be the easiest with conics being the most challenging so far. It was just a shocking jump in the arnold textbook (dawso mentioned the grading of the questions) from converting an equation of an ellipse to parametric form to finding the equation of a chord on a hyperbola for the first time... mind you, reading the examples where they walked you through how to do that probably would have helped. Meh.

nemuca

Ultimate Bludger!!
HSC
Kieran, are you in Hayes' class right now? or are you still having Niven?
coz Hayes' class is like way ahead
(well, or it might just be my class being really behind)

we've just kind of finished polynomials yesterday
we haven't started with conics yet, coz our teacher's away
i suppose we'll start conics next monday

so far i find complex numbers and polynomials just as easy
the graphs bit that i've gone through by myself is alright as well
but i reckon conics is quite challenging

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)