When to use the Right-Hand-Palm Rule, and not. (1 Viewer)

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
Hello, I just wanted to know when do you use the right hand palm rule opposed to the left hand palm rule....

my teacher says its for negative charges and induced currents but i don't get it, can anyone help?!

thanks

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
right hand: when u are talkin abt positive charge/conventional current
left hand: negative charge/electron current
for the induced current, better use reasonin to deduce... if u have to use a rule then left hand ~~ but thumb pts at conventional current direction...

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
you would only need to know right hand palm rule.

and thats for the motor effect - ie a current carrying wire in a magnetic field (thats the practical with two magnets and in the middle is a wire)

so when you use your right hand rule you can determine whether the wire is going up when current is passed through it or whether the wire is going down.

you know the fingers mean the way of magnetic field, wrist being your N and fingertips = south.
thumb is the direction of the current (positive to negative)
open palm is to determine the direction of the forece.

left hand rule is just when you talk about the flow of electrons.

hope it helps

Jaydels

HSC
just some advice.......our class was told not to quote the right hand grip rule in an exam because its not a law or anything, its just a memory aid

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Jaydels said:
just some advice.......our class was told not to quote the right hand grip rule in an exam because its not a law or anything, its just a memory aid
althou it is pretty hard to explain the direction of a magnetic field generated by the current carry wire... the law /eqn it uses extend beyond the scope of hsc...

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Do past papers to get used to the questions. It's pretty obvious when they want you to use it.

Cheezy-G

Right Hand Palm Rule

I'll try and avoid using the left hand plam rule because that may get confusing. For positive charges, the force will be determined by the palm's direction. For negative charges, the force will be determined by the kuckles' direction. ie. If your palm is facing upwards and there is a conventional current then the direction of the force is upwards. I remember it like this:

Palm is Positive charges P
Knuckles is negative charges N or Kn
It works all the time

Hope that helps

Iron_Scarecrow

HSC
Yes that usually works best, no need to bring in the left hand at all.

m_isk

HSC
N/A
or you know that the right hand rule relies on CONVENTIONAL current...so if we're talkling electron flow, then the direction of the conventional current is in the opposite direction

JumboKHS

HSC
m_isk said:
or you know that the right hand rule relies on CONVENTIONAL current...so if we're talkling electron flow, then the direction of the conventional current is in the opposite direction
Yep thats what i do, when its a negatively charged particle moving i just put the direction of my thumb in the opposite direction to its movement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)