When is a good time to drop to Standard English? (1 Viewer)

AlienWithLiberty610

HSC
Ok, so I’m really not the greatest English student. I averaged at about 80% in Year 11, which is actually really poor compared to my other subjects in the 90’s. It’s also the only thing I got a combination of B’s and C’s on my report for. While I understand that there’s always room for improvement, I honestly feel like there is this barrier that always prevents me from getting the scores I want. I have not done my first Yr 12 formal assessment yet. My teacher does not recommend moving to standard unless one’s grades really fall to D’s, but they really don’t have high expectations since I do not go to a selective school.

Generally speaking, if one wants to obtain a high 90’s atar (or even 99+), when is a good time for them to move down? Should they stay in advanced English regardless of their grade because standard “doesn’t scale well” or whatever?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
I would say you should still stay in advanced, 80%'s are still quite good

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Is your rank good?
It also depends on ur schools faculty
My schools english faculty is extremely strict at marking our exams and especially harsh on essay writing so only the top people get in the high 80's or above but they still do exceptional in the hsc..
Talk to your teacher about the level of marking perhaps?

Vall

HSC
I would say stick it out in advanced English (there is a reason a number of selective schools don’t even offer standard English).
- the scaling difference is significant
- it is almost harder to get a band 6 in standard than advanced English (based off the UAC report on scaling, a higher proportion of students in advanced English get a band 6 than the proportion of students getting band 6 in standDd English).
- there are way more resources for the advanced English texts, especially true for whatever Shakespeare you do
- you don’t need a band 6 in English to get a high (99+) ATAR (e.g. me). You can also go play around with ATAR calculators to see that even getting like 80 as your English mark if you band 6 all your other subjects you still probably get 90+ ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)