• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

When does the POPE revisionist period start? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
Well that has changed since the 1900 where more were Church of England.
LOL @ Xayma...way to use up to date figures!

edited as I re-read what had been said...sorry
but technically there is only one Protestant Church (the Lutherans0 and they are not the majority!!

Stupid lag..just noticed you replied in the time I was editing this!

Last edited:

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Not all Protestant Christians are Anglican. The combined number of Protestant Australians is still larger than the number of Catholic Australians.

pete_mate

HSC
australia is NOT a catholic country

anglican is strongly linked to the church of england, and where did we come from again?

cathlolics are more irish and italian etc.

stats show we are mostly protestant, and so we should be, catholics do not stick to the bible whatsoever, all this bullshit supersititous crap isnt in it, neither is the pope, and the virgin mary is mentioned about 3 times

protestant religions follow the bible, not the crap that was borne out of the middle ages, crusades, and the illiteracy of the populaiton in that period

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
snapperhead said:
LOL @ Xayma...way to use up to date figures!

edited as I re-read what had been said...sorry
but technically there is only one Protestant Church (the Lutherans0 and they are not the majority!!

Stupid lag..just noticed you replied in the time I was editing this!
Well it's so hard to get a reliable recent source now days :p

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
coco_hehe said:
just a religious figurehead?? he brought nations and religions together, he had the ability to reach out to people of any culture, religion and age...
He was also the political leader of the Vatican City (smallest nation on earth)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Korn said:
He was also the political leader of the Vatican City (smallest nation on earth)
indeed. i think people have kind of strayed away from the subject matter here a bit though... or is it that no one is brave enough to go near it?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I am so very terrified of going anywhere near the Pope's figurehead leadership of an italian city state. My God. Shitting myself.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Iron woman said:
I am so very terrified of going anywhere near the Pope's figurehead leadership of an italian city state. My God. Shitting myself.
, remove head from arse, read first post, inhale air then type
either you are so very stupid or you are... well so very stupid.
i was talking about no one beng willing to comment on the negative things the pope has done in his life and how there is no way he should be made a saint...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
No no dear boy, the new subject is much more terrifying.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Is this the part where I bleed and the natives realise i'm not a god?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
pete_mate said:
australia is NOT a catholic country

anglican is strongly linked to the church of england, and where did we come from again?

cathlolics are more irish and italian etc.
:confused:

anglican is the church of england
australia is a catholic country
the irish convicts came here, they were irish, therefore there is a large proportion of catholics here

edit: there's the census data, a few years old but i doubt another religion has taken over
http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/abs@.nsf/dc057c1016e548b4ca256c470025ff88/56c35cc256682bc0ca256dea00053a7a!OpenDocument

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
If well instructed, Irish Catholics should detest the imperialist flavour of anzac day, but it doesnt happen. Things change, people pick and mix. The pope's death has invoked compassion towards a man who devoted his life to the service and suffered a long and painful death, but carried out his duties regardless.
He also happened to be pope when the information age kicked off. I dont think the revisionism will begin anytime soon. For many, he will always embody what it is to BE pope. The benchmark has been set.

Generator

HSC
N/A
iambored said:
:confused:

australia is a catholic country
As we established up above (with the very link that you believe supports your stance), Australia is not a catholic country.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lol haven't read everything

if you mean it's not a 'catholic country' like italy, i understand, italy is a catholic country, everyone is catholic.

here there is a mix.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Iron woman said:
If well instructed, Irish Catholics should detest the imperialist flavour of anzac day, but it doesnt happen. Things change, people pick and mix. The pope's death has invoked compassion towards a man who devoted his life to the service and suffered a long and painful death, but carried out his duties regardless.
He also happened to be pope when the information age kicked off. I dont think the revisionism will begin anytime soon. For many, he will always embody what it is to BE pope. The benchmark has been set.
fine but do you concede that this man has been involved in some preety fucked up scams... sure he may be the "best" pope historically but put his actions in context and then you and everyone else ask yourself "would i be defending him so vehemently if he hadnt of died just recently"
and i also think that a revisionist period will inevitably happen, you cannot stop historians showing a darker side of historical characters especially if there is plenty of dirt to be dug. such is the case with the pope.
its funny, its taken ages but now we are in a DIANA revisionist period. i wonder how many people would have spoken against her just after her death?

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
TurboTom said:
fine but do you concede that this man has been involved in some preety fucked up scams... sure he may be the "best" pope historically but put his actions in context and then you and everyone else ask yourself "would i be defending him so vehemently if he hadnt of died just recently"
and i also think that a revisionist period will inevitably happen, you cannot stop historians showing a darker side of historical characters especially if there is plenty of dirt to be dug. such is the case with the pope.
its funny, its taken ages but now we are in a DIANA revisionist period. i wonder how many people would have spoken against her just after her death?
What bad things has the Pope done (things that cant be thought of as good, in anyway)
and the same about Diana

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
That's irrelevant. Mere facts clouding the issue. The point is that he was a Pop-pope. He got loads of media attention, most of it good. Questioning a man who is reputed as being god's messanger on earth may offend some people. The vatican no doubt understand that there may've been cock-ups, but due to the nature of their organisation, that's irrelevant and inappropriate now.
He never had an awful lot of power anyway. People have long been free to switch sides, practise what they want or give up the game. People always do what's convienient for themselves. It just passes the buck to blame an old, long-suffering and recently expired man. He was essentially an advisor.

tomekz

HSC
All the pope did and said was backed up/interpreted from the bible. And those wankers who say otherwise, go ahead read the bible from begining to end, i gaurantee harldy none of you have. Hardly none of you have no clue on the things Pope John Paul the great did during his life including his pontificate (yes He was alive before 1978). BTW in this society you say you say one thing against Homosexuals and everyone starts saying your afraid of them (homophobic).. PFF, use ur fuking english skills why dont ya??? say for example i say that i hate you, does that mean i have a phobia towards you???

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
tomekz said:
All the pope did and said was backed up/interpreted from the bible. And those wankers who say otherwise, go ahead read the bible from begining to end, i gaurantee harldy none of you have. Hardly none of you have no clue on the things Pope John Paul the great did during his life including his pontificate (yes He was alive before 1978). BTW in this society you say you say one thing against Homosexuals and everyone starts saying your afraid of them (homophobic).. PFF, use ur fuking english skills why dont ya??? say for example i say that i hate you, does that mean i have a phobia towards you???
No, as a phobia is a fear, and hating someone isnt necessarily cause u fear them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)