Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 23 3.7%

• Total voters

Skeeta

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
straight.

@dagwoman - that was really interesting, i totally didnt know about that genderqueer thing

I've been studying transexual (male to female) voice therapy at uni, and we have been told do dissasociate sexuality from gender.

As in, many of the clients seen were born male, feel female (and are are in transition through hormones and surgery) BUT have girlfriends, which i suppose technically makes them a lesbian.Its dissapointing to see that some people arent comfortable with working with transexual clients. Theres been some pretty interesting debates that have gone on in our lectures. Some people are totally fine with bisexual/gay people but have issues when it comes to gender and not sexuality.

Hero Of Time

HSC
N/A
The most sexual I get is stumbling around drunk every Friday night along with a martini glass dressed as a woman with fake breasts.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
agentprovocater said:
lol i think im one of those ppl, BUT i wudnt discriminate against them or make them feel bad or anything. i'd just avoid them/have minimal contact with them. meh.
Avoiding a certain group of people and making sure you have minimal contact with them is discrimination.

Last edited:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Skeeta said:
I've been studying transexual (male to female) voice therapy at uni, and we have been told do dissasociate sexuality from gender.

As in, many of the clients seen were born male, feel female (and are are in transition through hormones and surgery) BUT have girlfriends, which i suppose technically makes them a lesbian.Its dissapointing to see that some people arent comfortable with working with transexual clients. Theres been some pretty interesting debates that have gone on in our lectures. Some people are totally fine with bisexual/gay people but have issues when it comes to gender and not sexuality.

Yes, you're right, sexuality and gender are two separate things. I'm qingft the second half of what you said :)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
What is it about transpeople that bothers you, exactly?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I used to find it difficult to sympathise with the transgendered, but then I read this interesting post in NCAP which went something like this:

Imagine you're a musician - its your passion, your art, it's what you trained for your entire life until its second nature. Then you wake up and you're working for an engineering firm; you have no capacity for numbers, you don't know what an engine is and you never took chemistry or physics. Even worse, you're under a contract and can't quit.

I haven't articulated it nearly as well as the original, but you get the gist.

As for the surgery, well the idea of it being done to myself is horrifying - for many thats a base psychological thing too. For example there was an experiment performed in the states where they showed a movie and they tried to fill it with flashes of a castration, but so quickly that your brain couldnt record it properly. Nearly every male in the audience reported experiencing an intense discomfort which they couldn't explain. None of the women reported the same thing.

Which I think is the major hurdle for the transgendered, alot of people, particularly men, will feel very uncomfortable around them because its like a 'sympathetic' horror. At the core of it people need to realise that there is a difference between the process and the person, and frankly someone else's genitals aren't your business unless you're in a sexual relationship.

So yeah, I don't like the process but it doesn't really impact upon the person ...

jimmayyy

HSC
pansexual

if they are hot, they are attractive to you, regardless of their genetalia

Skeeta

HSC
kami said:
As for the surgery, well the idea of it being done to myself is horrifying - for many thats a base psychological thing too. For example there was an experiment performed in the states where they showed a movie and they tried to fill it with flashes of a castration, but so quickly that your brain couldnt record it properly. Nearly every male in the audience reported experiencing an intense discomfort which they couldn't explain. None of the women reported the same thing.
Thats because (afaik) you are happily male. And your penis doesnt cause distress to you. If i looked down in the morning and saw a penis, I would freak. And want it removed. And i'd probably freak out if someone wanted to take my breasts off aswell.

I'd assume transexual's would look forward to the removal of penis/breasts. As it would make them physically look like they believe they should.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
agentprovocater said:
I dno dagwoman...its just...scary...changing vaginas and testicles...it sounds yuck and VERY unnatural. At least gays have sex, but don't remove their organs..I dno, it just feels and sounds very unnatural and disturbing. Doesnt ANYONE on here feel the same?

Look, at the end of the day, go with what floats your boat and makes you happy. But I just wouldn't feel comfortable about transpeople.
What about putting yourself in their shoes? That might help you to feel a bit of empathy towards their experience. Imagine you were born in a girl's body. Being forced to wear dresses when you were little. Playing rough outside or liking toy trucks being discouraged. Getting a hard time for cutting your hair, because "it looked so pretty long!" Trying to dress how you felt comfortable, but spending your entire childhood being asked "are you a boy or a girl?" Being given a hard time for going into the women's bathrooms, because people assume you're a man. Wanting to use the men's bathrooms but knowing if you tried and got caught you'd probably be bashed. Dreading going to the doctor because you don't like having breasts or female genitalia. Having crushes on girls and being made fun of for that, even though it feels totally normal to you. Feeling so uncomfortable with your own body that you don't want to have sex with anyone. Feeling like the only way you can be yourself is painful, expensive surgery, which still won't make you look totally like a "real man". Having to deal with the legal implications, having to apply to change the sex on your passport and driver's license. Etc etc.

The processes to become the opposite sex wouldn't be considered "natural", but sometimes it's the only way transpeople will feel comfortable in their own bodies and in society.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
jimmayyy said:
rofl i accidently voted trans instead of pans
Omg, you're so funny right?

Wtf is pans? Piens?

I voted straight. Bi's pretty hawt though :shy: Racial that is :eek:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
You are an incredibly articulate and insightful person when you don't have that constant chip on your shoulder.
Same to you when you aren't antagonising people.

marthastuart

HSC
Well, right now I'm definitely straight, but you never know... I've been suprised twice by a friend and by a cousin who couldn't have appeared to have been straighter if you'd used a laser.

Optophobia

HSC
lol, "used a laser". You put a lot of thought into that didn't you.

I would have prefered "couldn't have appeared to have been straighter if you'd used a freshly sharpened, ultra fine graphite pencil to mark a line along the edge of a freshly made 30 CM ruler on the finest of tissue paper" myself.

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Optophobia said:
lol, "used a laser". You put a lot of thought into that didn't you.

I would have prefered "couldn't have appeared to have been straighter if you'd used a freshly sharpened, ultra fine graphite pencil to mark a line along the edge of a freshly made 30 CM ruler on the finest of tissue paper" myself.
Failyore.

Obviously :gay:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
Admittedly it's easier for homosexual's at Uni, where a more accepting environment is provided, but I'm still not able to come to terms with why, like race, this is still an issue? This judging homosexuality on moralist grounds makes me feel ill, this whole notion of 'choice', doubly so.

I'm very sure if it were a 'choice' we'd have next to no homosexuals in our society. No one would willingly put themselves through the shitgrinder that is our reaction to homosexual/trans/other if it wasn't something they knew was an integral part of the human being they are. At least that's my theory, because there is still so much bullshit nonsensical irrational moral-authority hatred for homosexuality still. And it's just juvenile and stupid.
You're so attractive when you're being articulate. Do it again. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)