What's your favourite sport? (1 Viewer)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Sorry, I insist some 30 year old from Lidcombe with Dorito dust all over his fingers is more reputable than the International Olympic Committee, itself.
me, someone who plays actual sports, being called a dorito eater by a fake sport board game player

Dictionary.com defines sport as "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess". ... Oxford Dictionary defines sport as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment".

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
League of Legends?
Ironic considering its the basement dwelling chess players on here who are into e-sports

That being said, although I've actually never played league of legends before in my life, e-sports could be considered categorically more sports-like than chess given that coordinated muscle contractions (i.e. physical exertion) are a mechanic of gameplay, unlike chess

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
Ironic considering its the basement dwelling chess players on here who are into e-sports
But I thought there was no correlation between e-sports and chess like you said? Lol.
And no, I play chess, but I don't do online gaming.

That being said, although I've actually never played league of legends before in my life, e-sports could be considered categorically more sports-like than chess given that coordinated muscle contractions (i.e. physical exertion) are a mechanic of gameplay, unlike chess
So that's where you draw the line? Because e-sports require the slightest more muscle coordination, boom, it's a sport. But chess isn't. Let me guess, you have not come across bullet chess before...

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
But I thought there was no correlation between e-sports and chess like you said? Lol.
No, I didn't say that. You're just straight up making shit up at this point.

So that's where you draw the line? Because e-sports require the slightest more muscle coordination, boom, it's a sport. But chess isn't. Let me guess, you have not come across bullet chess before...
Being good at e-sports is a combination of strategy/decision-making and coordinated muscle contractions in the form of mouse/keyboard inputs to execute your decisions.
It's not "the slightest more muscle coordination", it's central to being good at e-sports, while chess is purely a decision making game.

You could presumably put me into an e-sports tournament with the greatest player in the world sitting beside me telling me exactly what to do every second of the game and I would almost assuredly still play worse than anyone else in the tournament. I physically couldn't execute the movements this player is telling me to do, and by the time he tells me what to do it's too late anyway because e-sports require reaction times (i.e. coordinated, timed muscle contractions) well below one second.

On the other hand, if I had Magnus Carlson sitting next to me while I play in a chess tournament telling me what moves to make, I would essentially play as well as if were actually Magnus himself, because Chess is purely a decision making game.

There are some mechanical movements involved in live chess but these are just logistical exercises. Nobody wins a game of chess because they're better at picking up and putting down the pieces, they win because their decisions on which pieces to move where are better than their opponents. The chess pieces are just there to represent the decisions being made. Imagine if instead of moving pieces around themselves, the players simply shouted out their moves and someone updated a computer visual showing the layout of the pieces. Would this fundamentally change the sport? Would Magnus Carlson suddenly be put at a disadvantage because one mechanical aspect of the game has been removed? Of course not. The game fundamentally the same, we should expect the best chess players in the world to continue being the best chess players in the world because their skill is in decision making, not muscle contractions. As described above, doing this with e-sports would absolutely not work in the slightest, because mechanical execution of the decisions is at least a big a part of the game as the decisions themselves.

Last edited:

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
No, I didn't say that. You're just straight up making shit up at this point.

Being good at e-sports is a combination of strategy/decision-making and coordinated muscle contractions in the form of mouse/keyboard inputs to execute your decisions.
It's not "the slightest more muscle coordination", it's central to being good at e-sports, while chess is purely a decision making game.

You could presumably put me into an e-sports tournament with the greatest player in the world sitting beside me telling me exactly what to do every second of the game and I would almost assuredly still play worse than anyone else in the tournament. I physically couldn't execute the movements this player is telling me to do, and by the time he tells me what to do it's too late anyway because e-sports require reaction times (i.e. coordinated, timed muscle contractions) well below one second.

On the other hand, if I had Magnus Carlson sitting next to me while I play in a chess tournament telling me what moves to make, I would essentially play as well as if were actually Magnus himself, because Chess is purely a decision making game.

There are some mechanical movements involved in live chess but these are just logistical exercises. Nobody wins a game of chess because they're better at picking up and putting down the pieces, they win because their decisions on which pieces to move where are better than their opponents. The chess pieces are just there to represent the decisions being made. Imagine if instead of moving pieces around themselves, the players simply shouted out their moves and someone updated a computer visual showing the layout of the pieces. Would this fundamentally change the sport? Would Magnus Carlson suddenly be put at a disadvantage because one mechanical aspect of the game has been removed? Of course not. The game fundamentally the same, we should expect the best chess players in the world to continue being the best chess players in the world because their skill is in decision making, not muscle contractions. As described above, doing this with e-sports would absolutely not work in the slightest, because mechanical execution of the decisions is at least a big a part of the game as the decisions themselves.
Without comment to chess, yeah there's a reason the average age of retirement in esports is 22. Its physically intensive to be one of the best.

sab13562

HSC
Just wondering which sport is the most popular in Australia among students?For me I like swimming and running. :) To me , running is the best sport in the world because it gives you new challenge , confidence , fitness , a ultimate goal and being competitive. To be a good runner, hard training is extremely important to achieve your goal and make improvement. People who play my sport love to make improvement no matter how hard the training it. Every second improvement gives an athlete so much joy!🤣

Please share what do you like about your sport.
Badminton!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)