What's your critical response about? (1 Viewer)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Hey Glycerine,

I know this'll probably sound stupid, but are you doing anything on the original Buffy The Vampire Slayer Movie? I know it was an american teen satire, but yeah. N.B. This came about after sifting through old 3u notes and watching Buffy a few nights ago :p

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
no, although i also watched the movie on sat and luke perry was such a hunny! hehehe. the movie is sooo camp and stupid, but i think people are unfair - it's not THAT bad : )

missemjay

im exploring the ideas of truth telling in "true crime" texts, facts told in a narrative form and subjective manner. So its really the truth telling unit for advanced and the crime fiction unit for extension 1 all in one! My focus texts are In Cold Blood, Chopper and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Anyone have any suggestions?
Im writing my report at the moment and i have no idea how to fill 2000 words with how effective my journal and research is...ah well.

estaile

yeh, whoever's doing the charmed thing, nice choice!
it sounds kinda similar to what im doing. im focusing on the men within the texts. the representation of men as either negative or positive and how this affects the way it is recieved. im spinning round in circles though.
how are you going with urs?

estaile

?just dropped out? as in dropped the subject?....
:(
sounds very very familiar!

aud

HSC
estaile said:
yeh, whoever's doing the charmed thing, nice choice!
it sounds kinda similar to what im doing. im focusing on the men within the texts. the representation of men as either negative or positive and how this affects the way it is recieved. im spinning round in circles though.
how are you going with urs?
glycerine said:
she just dropped out i think :p
I sort of did that, but more focused on the three waves of feminism and their culmination in the representation of the girls, and only used the men to back up claims, but yea, I'm dropping it as soon as I get back to school, my topic became too S&Cish and not Englishy enough, didn't do well in internals and most probably wouldn't count... but tell me more about yours, maybe I can slap you hard enough to make you stop spinning.

And Miss glycerine, I'm a guy, I thought you would have worked it out by now~! :D

estaile

hahhaa... thanks aud.....
mine's becoming too S&Cish too. but i guess im kjust afraid of dropping it.. this late into the year! and the whole "journey"-ick- has just been so frustrating (and still is_ to this point, that if i drop it, i think i'll get castrated

Leng

Wow, lots of feminist perspectives being taken. My crit response is on whether there are any "real" women portrayed in the fantasy genre, and by real I mean "plausible for said woman to exist in today's society as a norm, not an exception".

Incidentally, for those who are doing something with a feminist focus, what are your conclusions about this supposed "third wave" of feminism? I can't find any sources that agree with any other sources on exactly what it's all about.

aud

HSC
Leng said:
Wow, lots of feminist perspectives being taken. My crit response is on whether there are any "real" women portrayed in the fantasy genre, and by real I mean "plausible for said woman to exist in today's society as a norm, not an exception".

Incidentally, for those who are doing something with a feminist focus, what are your conclusions about this supposed "third wave" of feminism? I can't find any sources that agree with any other sources on exactly what it's all about.
Will, don't argue with me with this one or I'll kick your arse!

OK, because we're amidst the third wave of feminism, there isn't a huge deal of academic material on it yet, because most of the research has to be done in retrospect. However, you can make assumptions, and use what is available to define for yourself what post-post-feminism is, and include it in your MW or RS.
To me, post-post-fem is the grrl power, bad arse bitch movement, which comes from achieving partial equality with men during post-fem, and women wanting more. They want to be able to dominate men by flaunting their sexuality, but still be treated with respect and dignity in all other circumstances. (that's post-post-fem in a nutshell)
I'll see if I've got any sources... OK, try these:

Girl Heroes: A New Force in Popular Culture, Susan Hopkins, Pluto Press Australia, 2002

The Whole Woman, Germaine Greer, Doubleday, Sydney, 1999

They're the only ones I have on my comp that I know could help, I think I've got one more but I'll get back to you, hope it helps

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
MissMacbeth said:
I'm not doing a crit res. I did do one last term - but that was a forced idea - 'Streetcar named desire.'

I'd love to do a critical on QT or Kill Bill!
It's got so much stuff on it - female power, violence, motherhood, revenge and so on...

But no.....I didn;t get to decide mine.

But if anyone can think of a good comparison idea?? Then I'm all ears.

heh i'm doing a CR on tarantino's films =D looking at reservoir dogs, pulp fiction and kill bill: vols. 1 & 2.
i'm not actually in yr12 though.. i'm in yr11.. but my ext. eng class is doing some "mini ext.2 project" - same lists of projects to do but half of the time and half of the word limit?!

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
re

belly_moo said:
heh i'm doing a CR on tarantino's films =D looking at reservoir dogs, pulp fiction and kill bill: vols. 1 & 2.
i'm not actually in yr12 though.. i'm in yr11.. but my ext. eng class is doing some "mini ext.2 project" - same lists of projects to do but half of the time and half of the word limit?!
cool. So what's your crit res question?? or just giving a critique....?

God, I've gotta think of another idea for this semester....pfff
The criteria doesn't give me any help - it just says write a researched academic essay.....thats it....anyone got any cool thoughts...love to hear them.

nattylee

HSC
mine is on the metaphysical poetry of john donne, in particular 'the holy sonnets'. im analysing the physical and spiritual imagery and how it has been influenced by social context.

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
MissMacbeth said:
cool. So what's your crit res question?? or just giving a critique....?

God, I've gotta think of another idea for this semester....pfff
The criteria doesn't give me any help - it just says write a researched academic essay.....thats it....anyone got any cool thoughts...love to hear them.

"how does tarantino portray violence and beauty?" - not exactly the greatest thesis/question i came up with. i ended up writing twice as much as i was supposed to anyways cause i couldnt answer the Qu properly in 2500 +_+

but a researched academic essay?.. =\ duno what that is. maybe ask your teacher or eng tutor to clarify what a "researched academic essay" is. damn. sounds like a uni Qu though.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
aud said:
Will, don't argue with me with this one or I'll kick your arse!

OK, because we're amidst the third wave of feminism, there isn't a huge deal of academic material on it yet, because most of the research has to be done in retrospect. However, you can make assumptions, and use what is available to define for yourself what post-post-feminism is, and include it in your MW or RS.
To me, post-post-fem is the grrl power, bad arse bitch movement, which comes from achieving partial equality with men during post-fem, and women wanting more. They want to be able to dominate men by flaunting their sexuality, but still be treated with respect and dignity in all other circumstances. (that's post-post-fem in a nutshell)
I'll see if I've got any sources... OK, try these:

Girl Heroes: A New Force in Popular Culture, Susan Hopkins, Pluto Press Australia, 2002

The Whole Woman, Germaine Greer, Doubleday, Sydney, 1999

They're the only ones I have on my comp that I know could help, I think I've got one more but I'll get back to you, hope it helps
I so have to argue, but will restrain myself, read a quote in a work that summed up my argument perfectly.. must find and post!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
more of the crit people should post their works in the thread in the main board :p

write about tarantino again, why shouldn't you?

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
glycerine said:
more of the crit people should post their works in the thread in the main board :p

write about tarantino again, why shouldn't you?
mmm.. i dunno.. my mind can't think of anything spectacular at the moment.. i need inspiration to whack me in the head again to come up with an idea that'll motivate me for the rest of the crit if i do ee2 next yr..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)