whats the states top 3 unit mark each year? (1 Viewer)

bboyelement

HSC
i was wondering wat would be the top maths extension 1 mark each year ... also when you top the state is that only HSC exam mark or overall mark (assessment and hsc) ? if its only hsc exam mark then wouldnt a few ppl get it because they would score 100% ... but each year theres only 1 ... i mean i saw the 4 unit marks each year and they were mostly above 110/120 so there would have to be a few getting 100% in 3 unit.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Its overall mark, so if you dont come first in your year you've got almost no chance of first in the state. Generally someone gets 100 after aligning

gamecw

HSC
acmilan said:
Its overall mark, so if you dont come first in your year you've got almost no chance of first in the state. Generally someone gets 100 after aligning
he meant what 3u maths raw hsc/assessment mark was achieved in order to get that 100. btw isnt dis a 4u forum?

edit: and i dunno lol

bboyelement

HSC
acmilan said:
but then there gonna be a few ppl coming first and getting 100% ... your mark doesnt count its your rank so if you are ranked first in class then 100 will also be your moderated assessment.

wat if ... i get say like 93 and the rank first person get like 94 but in exam i get like 98 and that person gets 95 does that mean my overall mark still below his/her. because i heard BOS takes into account the relative difference between marks. since its 50/50 (hsc mark and assessment mark), why is assessment mark given priority over hsc mark ... from the above mark i should get top overall.

haque

HSC
Does BOS take into acccount the difference in marks? i thought it was only the rankings that were important-because i heard from my teachers that the school mark handed in by the teachers don't count for anything as the BOS moderates our school assessments based on the pool of marks our cohorts from school get. We had 3 guys get 100 for 3U from our school last year and one guy get 99-but they all came top ten in the state for 3U

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Wrong. Rankings are very important. Gaps between rankings are ALSO very important.

Actual marks submitted are also fairly important because they are used if you file for misadventure.

haque

HSC
So then how do they use the gap when comes to moderation etc?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I don't know anymore. Some of my teachers cheated and made the gaps between the top ranked people very small (1%) anyway. It meant that in the exam the bottom 2/3rds of the class, say, would get their external marks and would likely be roughly in the same distribution as internal marks. The top third however, would be more widely distributed from each other than they were internally, so the internal gaps would be partially mapped onto the external marks for the top third, pulling up the top ranked people closer to the mark of the people who came first. Roughly speaking, of course. I hate statistics. The reason they could only do it to the top third is that if they did it to the entire class, nothing would happen since the gap distribution would be directly proportional to that of the external marks.

If I'm wrong in any way feel free to correct me. It's been about a year since I've thought about it very hard.

I suppose if you think about it, if nobody has improved on their internal marks or if everybody has improved by roughly the same ratio, and assuming teachers don't fiddle with internal marks, then gaps between marks mean nothing at all.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)