What's the question want exactly..? (1 Viewer)

Rory

HSC
What does the question want exactly..?

I'm doing an assignment and the particular section is on Xerxes and this one question says:

"Identify five primary sources which shed light on the reign of Xerxes"

Now, the question is only worth 5 marks and can't exceed 200 words so I'm wondering and I supposed to just tell them *of* five primary sources that discuss Xerxes reign (like the books Herodotus wrote) or am I actually expected to give the five sources in like quotes or something..?

I've managed to confuse myself over a seemingly simple question..

Last edited:

classics_chic

HSC
Well Xerxes wasn't my personality but I did do Greece 500-440

Herodotos The Histories is probably your bog standard text for Xerxes. Be careful though, he makes him out to be a hubristic meglomaniac for attacking Greece.

Also the play "The Persians" (can't remember who it's by, begins with an A... damn it!). Although it seems like it's from a Persian perspective, it was an Athenian tragedy, so keep that in mind.

I think you need to find 5 sources, and then write how they shed light on Xerxes. Is it a Hellenocentric perspective (usually yes- most of the stuff comes from Greece)? Does it try to make Xerxes out to be something because of something he did? (E.g. Herodotos making him out to be hubristic)

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

Rory

HSC
^ oOoh Makes sense..now I just have to find all the sources hah, 'The Persians' was by Aeschylus I *think*..pretty sure it was though.

classics_chic

HSC
Rory said:
^ oOoh Makes sense..now I just have to find all the sources hah, 'The Persians' was by Aeschylus I *think*..pretty sure it was though.
yeah Aeschylus, that's it.

Hope I've been helpful :)

I've heard something about carvings in Persia relating to Xerxes... as I said, I'm no expert, but if they exist, that's definitely a source (or more if there's more than one)

Rory

HSC
You've been very helpful :)

Yeh I think there were some carvings somewhere where 'pictures' of Xerxes looked really similar to Darius.. I'll have to find more substantial info on them but yeh they should be good..

If I have to give five sources; does that mean I can't use the same source twice (E.G. Use two diff examples of Herodotus)

Last edited:

classics_chic

HSC
Yeah you can't use Herodotos more than once to fill up your sources. When they say five, they mean five different sources. :p But you will be in a better position if you know two different parts of Herodotos. Also remember the historiography (I can't stress that enough!)

Best of luck! :)

P.S. Just in case you didn't know (which I'm sure you do), primary sources at school means from the time (at uni, a source is a primary source and a secondary source is a commentary... confused me for awhile). So don't run to Bury and Meiggs! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)