What's the most popular genre people are writing in? (1 Viewer)

Evercursed

Troubled Thinker
HSC
Yeah, but I'm a bit concerned about the characterisation and plot of the story being cliched or overly stereotypical. Even though I haven't seen anything in pop culture or mainstream fantasy that actually resembles the story I'm planning to submit, I'm worried that it would seem too typical of a story that deals in homosexual issues, and thus, would compromise the overal textual integrity of the piece.

HSC
N/A
Well, I can tell you now that the fantasy genre isn't used very much - I've only seen a handful of MW's that use it :)

In regards to overdone stuff, this is what my teachers said to me:

Regardless of what you're writing about, it will be unique because YOU are writing about it. Unless you're a carbon copy of some other EE2 student out there, your perspective/direction/structure etc will be different, and thus your MW will be as well :)

Concept-wise, basically everything has been done so I think it's pointless to worry to much about how "overdone" it is. Think more about what you could bring to it to avoid it becoming "cliche and sterotypical", rather than turning away from it because you're not willing to put enough faith in yourself ;)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Evercursed said:
Yeah, but I'm a bit concerned about the characterisation and plot of the story being cliched or overly stereotypical. Even though I haven't seen anything in pop culture or mainstream fantasy that actually resembles the story I'm planning to submit, I'm worried that it would seem too typical of a story that deals in homosexual issues, and thus, would compromise the overal textual integrity of the piece.
To be honest, there is only one thing I'd warn you to be careful of: teen angst & romance. Otherwise, just make sure that any stereotyping you use is intentional and with meaning (which is where genuine research comes in) and you'll be fine. For what its worth, while there may be similar concepts in wider literature I'd guess(and its a guess) that not many HSCers would be doing anything much like what you're proposing.

Evercursed

Troubled Thinker
HSC
So are there any books or sources you suggest I turn to for the research? I've found Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" to be of tremendous use when writing about social prejudice, but would there be any other sources you would recommend?

aileenli

HSC
well if you want to do a fantasy genre that deals with society's atitudes toward gay/lesbian relationships, Oscar Wilde's stuff is pretty good, esp. if you're studying it in English ext 1...i'm thinking 'Dorian Grey'? But maybe that's too far back....in the 19th century...

Evercursed

Troubled Thinker
HSC
Dorian Gray's more 19th Century Gothic than the conventional fantasy, and I remember doing it last year for text analysis. Maybe I should read over that book again...

Trillium

HSC
Well, fantasy with the 'gay' subtext... *thinks*

Lynn Flewellings "Nightrunner" series, for a start. Gorgeous, stock standard fantasy. Love them :)
Um...
I believe Mercedes Lackey is another author who dabbled with the idea. I'm not sure of the title, though. Google it ;)
Oh.
Not a published work or anything, but you should check out Chartreuse's short story on the web. His "Metanoia" comic is also fantastic.
http://chartreuse.studiowhippingboy.com/
The story is called "The God Eaters"

Gangels

HSC
Straight narratives are the most interesting. It can get too confusing otherwise. I like the horror genre. I came up with some crap about what happens to you in a coma. Highest mark in the grade for it, and i do standard. Hip hip Hooray!

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Im going for the oh-so original....
METAFICTION.
My pathetic attempts at being postmod...
story within a story
haha...
I anticipate it to be good. [Healthy optimism Vs conceit? hah..]
I'll try not to finish it with...

'AND THEN I WOKE UP AND REALIZED, IT WAS ALL JUST A DREAM...'

J

jhakka

nichhhole said:
Im going for the oh-so original....
METAFICTION.
My pathetic attempts at being postmod...
story within a story
haha...
I anticipate it to be good. [Healthy optimism Vs conceit? hah..]
I'll try not to finish it with...

'AND THEN I WOKE UP AND REALIZED, IT WAS ALL JUST A DREAM...'
But I love an unexpected twist. :(

nichhhole

HSC
jhakka said:
But I love an unexpected twist. :(

Haha! ok!
well i'll make it like, a um, like teenager who gets pregnant and like, then lke um... goes emo!
yah how does that, like sound?

haha :)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
nichhhole said:
Haha! ok!
well i'll make it like, a um, like teenager who gets pregnant and like, then lke um... goes emo!
yah how does that, like sound?

haha :)
It sounds like the sum of 10000000000 myspace profiles.

nichhhole

HSC
bringbackshred said:
It sounds like the sum of 10000000000 myspace profiles.

haha yeah, and i'll p
L a
Y
with language structure and formatting, to mirror the crazy camera angles of myspace.

nichhhole

HSC
bringbackshred said:
I like it. I like it a lot. Social comments on myspace ftw.

haha, yeah i make fun of the idea, but in all truth it was my original idea...
it was going to be a satirical mulitmedia piece [website..] commenting on myspace etc,
but i figured it'd been done 1092831923 times in one way or another,..
and that i'd end up going into stereotypes too much..

and it'd turn out like the 192831023821 pieceson stereotypes that dont work out..

so i changed my idea..
and funnily enough, ive fallen back into the cliche hole from which one can never return.
sjnbdiskmfl;,;'adiuhsbdnma,l;'d[isjpodnmkl;a

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Hey, so have I. But it's cool - i'll sit here and think of things that will make it different while another 50 people in the state think of exactly the same idea.

nichhhole

HSC
bringbackshred said:
Hey, so have I. But it's cool - i'll sit here and think of things that will make it different while another 50 people in the state think of exactly the same idea.

Jeez, we're pretty good at this! I think we could be onto something..
lets actually turn emo!
then we can try so hard to be different, thatwe turn out just the same!

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
I just took the most myspace photo of me ever, maybe i will turn emo.. :p Good idea. Rather than imagining the experience we write about, let's actually live it!

nichhhole

HSC
bringbackshred said:
I just took the most myspace photo of me ever, maybe i will turn emo.. :p Good idea. Rather than imagining the experience we write about, let's actually live it!
haha, then in that case im changing my concept to the experience of teenage pregnancy.
how would that hold up avec les parents?
haha :p

My ee2 class is actually inspired to get under the influence of prohibited substances and see what they come up with...
I've reserved the position of 'documenter'
hha.a

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)