what's the hardest topic in 4u? (1 Viewer)

Foxodi

HSC
Ah, and you have the same class for all of them too?
I have the same teacher for all my math subjects, but our 4U class is only half of our 3U class, so we only spend 90mins a week doing 4U.
Weve only done Complex Numbers and Polynomials :(

Edit: I just realised what your avatar is :D

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
We have 7-8 math teachers, and 7-8 math classes. 4unit studnets only stick with 4unit, and we don't have set periods (ie. we dno't have monday maths dedciated to 3unit and another period for 4unit) so i find it much easier as we can bulk the topics and study integration 2unit before studying 3unit integration then leading onto 4unit. i find it alot easier.

kevinant

HSC
Harder 3U topics/Conics/Harder Integration is harder than other topics
Mechanic is ok if you do Physics...but much harder for these who don't

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
From hardest to easiest in my opinion

Harder 3u ( Hard because it is random)
Mechanics ( Long subject, maths itself is OK, but analysing the question is hard)
Conics (not really hard, but very very loongg..)
Intergration ( long working out, make mistake = big mistake)
Complex numbers
Volumes
Polynomials
Graphs

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
drynxz said:
From hardest to easiest in my opinion

Harder 3u ( Hard because it is random)
Mechanics ( Long subject, maths itself is OK, but analysing the question is hard)
Conics (not really hard, but very very loongg..)
Intergration ( long working out, make mistake = big mistake)
Complex numbers
Volumes
Polynomials
Graphs
So far I do agree!

We have 7-8 math teachers, and 7-8 math classes. 4unit studnets only stick with 4unit, and we don't have set periods (ie. we dno't have monday maths dedciated to 3unit and another period for 4unit) so i find it much easier as we can bulk the topics and study integration 2unit before studying 3unit integration then leading onto 4unit. i find it alot easier.
Lucky man! We have only 9 for 4u and 12 for 3u. We are stick together all the times and can hardly spare time to boost or any of that sort.

nathanernest

HSC
Alot of the Topics overlap in a certain way. In reality, none of 4 unit is "Hard". I find that students can guess methods in 2 and 3 unit. But in 4 unit, you will probably never be in this situation. You should know every kind of question you will get asked. I was never good at maths in school and yet I got a 98 for 4 unit. It just takes hard work, a love for maths and dedication. But My list in order of Hard to easy.

Mechanics (Y12 Physics doesn't help much at all because Y12 physics sucks)
Conics (This chapter is really just really hard algebra and trig)
Harder 3 Unit (It can be ANYTHING)
Integration (Integration by parts should really be the only "new" thing here)
Complex Numbers (All new material but its pretty easy if you get it)
Volumes (Kinda the same as before but includes harder functions. You will need to use your new integration skills here)
Polynomials (Includes complex numbers as roots, and partial fractions)
Graphs (If you can't do this. Dont do 4U)

Remember that the only really hard part of 4unit is Q7 and Q8 in the exam. But these questions can include anything from the entire course. So you need to be prepared for everything. It kinda sucks that you could just be unluck and get a bad topic for the last 2 Q's but..thats life.

miche11e

HSC
For me, so far graphs is the hardest because our teacher expected us to teach ourselves... its kinda like superposition, and im SLOWLY getting the idea... Complex was pretty easy... i think polynomials was a bit hard though.

3u is a pain in the bum... i wish we only had to do 4unit and not 3 unit...

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
tommykins said:
How would you know? You haven't even completed year 12 yet .
Quite explicit, actually. 3u contains probability which is likely to turns up in any paper and I have to say I'm so crap at it.

The 2nd hardest, Mechanics is correspondingly an extension for Calculus applied to physical world and say, I have no idea about.

I'm not sure about conics.

Integration: I'm doing it now and based on his comment, I totally agree.

Complex number is the first topic and it's meant to be the one to stick in my head but I always forget st.

Volume???

Polynomials is do-able as they, so far, come in certain forms of questions, esp those relating to Complex number.

Graphs: c'mon, you know it's easy. I could do most of the questions from the past paper tho I haven't done the Graph section but used the 3u skills.:)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Volumes easier than complex numbers and integration?!

Ack, you're all insane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)