What's the deal with tuts + workshops etc? (1 Viewer)

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
hey

I'm doing Engineering/Commerce at uow

Am I supposed to be enrolling in the tutorials/seminars/workshops/lectures now?

If so, how's the timatable thing work... i.e. are all the subjects in the first session run at the same time, so that I have to juggle times for all 1st session subjects into 1 week?

Any other stuff I need to know/be doing?

cheers
nathan

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
You should receive SOLSmail messages on SOLS advising you tutorial/lab/whatever enrolment is imminent. I am not sure with Commerce as there is a much larger student base, but with Engineering, you do not enrol in lectures, you simply show up.

For your engineering subjects (except electrical, click here for that): login on SOLS and click on Tutorial Enrolment, from there you should be able to see the dates during which you can enrol for subjects. If a subject code isn't up yet, it will probably appear sometimes closer to semester. First year maths tutorial enrolment was during the first week of session last year (no tuts in the first week).

However, for Commerce (click here for the Commerce Tutorial Preference System (TPS)), you're on your own. They have their own enrolment system which I can't give you any information about seeing I have had no dealing with it. Another BOSer should be able to help you with that.

Yes, all subjects run concurrently for 13 weeks of semester each week. It's not uncommon to have conflicts between times of subjects.

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
This year should be right as apparently I only do engineering (computer).

Yeah I enrolled last Tuesday, just didn't get the full info.

So one last thing, are all subjects from say semester 1 all run at the same time? ... so I have to organise all those subhects into the one week?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
treelovinhippie said:
This year should be right as apparently I only do engineering (computer).

Yeah I enrolled last Tuesday, just didn't get the full info.

So one last thing, are all subjects from say semester 1 all run at the same time? ... so I have to organise all those subhects into the one week?
I thought BCom/BEng people don't do ECTE150 and do a commerce subject instead.

For EE it is easy, everyone does the same subjects. Tutorial enrollments have been open for a few days now so you should get in ASAP.

For my first year I got a suggested timetable off maree when enrolling.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
To find out about enrolment in tutorials/labs go here: http://www.uow.edu.au/student/tps/index.html

It's different for every faculty. Some you enrol on that page and some direct you to the 'Tutorial Enrolment' link in SOLS. Be careful about first come first serve subjects so you don't miss out on the time you want.

All Autumn session subjects run at the same time so you need to plan together in the one week. Try to group them as much as you can so you aren't going back and forth to uni every day or having heaps of gaps.

A couple of my subjects this session are first come first serve and open at 8pm on the 6th so be quick about finding out when your open so you have time to plan your timetable.

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
I thought BCom/BEng people don't do ECTE150 and do a commerce subject instead.
nope, I do these....

CSCI191 - Engineering Programming 1
ECTE171 - Introduction to Signals & Systems
MATH187 - Mathematics 1A Part 1
PHYS141 - Fundamentals of Physics A

First I was told by a commerce person on enrolment day that I had to put down the 2 accounting subjects, but then I realised in doing that it cut out 2 of the 8 core engineering subjects. So I rang up the engineering person (in informatics) and she said I don't do any commerce for the first year, but probably have to do the two accounting subjects during the summer session (that'll be fun :mad1:)

Thanks for the help everyone.

One last question... say if a lecture goes from 2:30 - 5:30 and a tutorial or something goes from 5:30 - 6:30 on the same day. Should I setup my timetable like that or leave an hour gap between them?

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
ok cool, will get crackin on that this morning

oh, and is it alright to have a tut straight after a lecture or should I leave a day or so gap?

heh, such a 1st year noob :)

Last edited:

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
ok, was just wondering whether it was better to have a lecture, then try do some of the work and then if there's a prob, find out at the tut. But I guess a tut straight after a lecture will basically just reinforce whatever's taught.

damn, looks like I'm in every day but wednesday :(

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I only have 1 gap this session, 2 hours on Thursday. I think I am going to avoid it by skipping one of my lectures.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
treelovinhippie said:
ok, was just wondering whether it was better to have a lecture, then try do some of the work
At uni, you will not do this.

Scanorama

HSC
treelovinhippie said:
ok, was just wondering whether it was better to have a lecture, then try do some of the work and then if there's a prob, find out at the tut. But I guess a tut straight after a lecture will basically just reinforce whatever's taught.

You are lucky to have a day off, some people have to go to uni everyday.
If you have any problem, just email the lecturer(s) or talk to them in person straight after the lecture.
To have a tut straight after a lecture will minimise the time you have to spend at uni, which is a good thing.

HSC
I have to go to uni everyday. At least I don't really need to travel to get to uni.

Looks like I only will have one break in bewteen as well

Jaydels

HSC
I'm so confused about this whole enrolment thing (I don't even know the difference between a tut and a lecture :confused: )
I think tutorial and lecture enrolment is only open for one of my subjects so far...should i start enrolling in them now?
oh and how do i figure out how many im spose to enrol in?

Last edited:

Scanorama

HSC
Tutorial: small classes where you will be required to do some actual works, and quite often, they are assessment tasks, which will count towards your final marks. You will get to interact with other students and the tutor. Tutorials are compulsory to attend.

Lecture: The whole class will be sitting in the lecture threatre, and the lecturer just talk, talk and talk, but not so much interaction going on. Lectures are not compulsory to attend.

You can't enrol in lectures, as everyone enrolled in the subject will have the same lecture times.

For tutorial enrolments: Log on to SOLS, then click on 'tutorial enrolments', those are the tutorials you need to enrol. However, there are some subjects require to enrol tutorials in a different way, check with the subject outlines or contact the lecturers about this.

Hope this helps :)

Jaydels

HSC
Scanorama said:
Tutorial: small classes where you will be required to do some actual works, and quite often, they are assessment tasks, which will count towards your final marks. You will get to interact with other students and the tutor. Tutorials are compulsory to attend.

Lecture: The whole class will be sitting in the lecture threatre, and the lecturer just talk, talk and talk, but not so much interaction going on. Lectures are not compulsory to attend.

You can't enrol in lectures, as everyone enrolled in the subject will have the same lecture times.

For tutorial enrolments: Log on to SOLS, then click on 'tutorial enrolments', those are the tutorials you need to enrol. However, there are some subjects require to enrol tutorials in a different way, check with the subject outlines or contact the lecturers about this.

Hope this helps :)
thanks...that clears it up a bit :)

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
treelovinhippie said:
"Damn"??? I did the same subject set back in Autumn of first year and I had to go everyday for 4 full days and then the afternoon on Thursday. You're very lucky if you're doing an engineering (or engineering physics) degree and don't end up with a 5 day uni week.

Tuts right after a lecture aren't much fun. For me it takes me a few hours to think things over before I'm ready to apply the new-found knowledge, but everyone is different.

vzd

HSC
I'm going to be doing a double degree in creative arts and arts and i havent enroled in any creative arts elective subjects. how big is this problem?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
vzd said:
I'm going to be doing a double degree in creative arts and arts and i havent enroled in any creative arts elective subjects. how big is this problem?
Most subjects haven't opened for enrolment yet. Apparently some have but I am not sure exactly which ones. A couple of them open tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)