What's the deal with accelerating subjects? (2 Viewers)

Guage

HSC
ie. starting a Prelim course in Yr 10? I've obviously missed that boat, but my sis in Yr 9 has been offered to for Economics.

So, if she does choose to do Eco Prelim next year:

- Will she only have to do 8 units in Yr 12, because she's already knocked over the Eco course previous year?
- OR is it compulsory to do one of those 'Distinction' courses in Yr 12 to make up the min. of 10 units?

I just need a general overview to show her. Cheers

HSC
ie. starting a Prelim course in Yr 10? I've obviously missed that boat, but my sis in Yr 9 has been offered to for Economics.

So, if she does choose to do Eco Prelim next year:

- Will she only have to do 8 units in Yr 12, because she's already knocked over the Eco course previous year?
- OR is it compulsory to do one of those 'Distinction' courses in Yr 12 to make up the min. of 10 units?

I just need a general overview to show her. Cheers
yeah first one..
you can accumulate your units for a period of up to 5 years..

so say you start in prelim year 7 and do 2 units for HSC in year 8, 2units year 9, 2units 10, 2 units year 11, 2units year 12
that is also acceptable

9units in year 8
and one unit in year 12 is fine

finish 10units by year 10 and go off to uni and that's fine too

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
she will only have to do 8 units min in year 12... the thing is that it frees up your year 12 time so you can focus on other subjects

Guage

HSC
Thanks guys...darn, wish I got the chance to accelerate.

edit: for those who've accelerated, how have they coped? Was it a big relief to only be doing 8 units?

HSC

edit: for those who've accelerated, how have they coped? Was it a big relief to only be doing 8 units?
That sounds fantastic... D: I'm doing 14 units right now, and i'm suffering.. (kinda) darn... i wish we did that for subjects like Modern History or Maths...

Do they do the acceleration thing for Visual arts and Music? :eek: it'll be stupid to do so... since you improve over time and practise.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I accelerate. Greatest thing I ever did (for education purposes)...

Brontecat

HSC
accelerating subjects in yr 11 though, is quiet difficult

i'm doing the equivalent of 14 units this year and will do the equivalent of 10 next year (inc. prelim) so i'm not sure whether its of any benefit yet - but atm it can be extremely difficult and stressful

hopefully it'll get easier next year when i decrease my loading and still leave school with 12 units

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Board of Studies thinks I'm taking 15 units? :S because of the accelerated maths! XD.... yea, whatever they reckon!!! I should drop one of my subs now... save me the extra wasting effort in music since It's only going to be dropped next year anyway ><"

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A

I think if someone chooses to accelerate in a subject, say Economics, they have done so because they find that subject interesting. So its not to hard to do a subject 1 or 2 or 6 years ahead because you find it interesting.

I myself am accelerated in mathematics and am finding it quite easy because i enjoy mathematics.

The whole purpose of acceleration is to give people who learn fast the ability to be able to work at the level they are at and at the rate they can. Dont misconstrue, this is not everyone, in fact, only a minority of people are capable of acceleration. This is because the school system has been made to help the majority of students. So you have some students who learn at an above average rate as much as you have some people who learn at a below average rate. This is why both acceleration and repetition has been designed.

K

khorne

Acceleration is great. You enjoy the subjects, but then again, the subject matter isn't hard either. I do Physics, Maths 3U and IPT, all of which are fun. Other than that, it gives you a good idea what senior years are like, and is generally fun during year 12 with an abundance of free periods.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Distinction courses may no longer be available.
LOL yeah, that sucks for 10ers XD

for those who've accelerated, how have they coped? Was it a big relief to only be doing 8 units?
I accelerated 2U maths last year, it was just like continuing year 10 maths for me with the same pace.

I picked up 4u maths this year so i guess i'm doing 12 units this year XD

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I think if someone chooses to accelerate in a subject, say Economics, they have done so because they find that subject interesting. So its not to hard to do a subject 1 or 2 or 6 years ahead because you find it interesting.

I myself am accelerated in mathematics and am finding it quite easy because i enjoy mathematics.

The whole purpose of acceleration is to give people who learn fast the ability to be able to work at the level they are at and at the rate they can. Dont misconstrue, this is not everyone, in fact, only a minority of people are capable of acceleration. This is because the school system has been made to help the majority of students. So you have some students who learn at an above average rate as much as you have some people who learn at a below average rate. This is why both acceleration and repetition has been designed.
I had to ask my teacher to be accelerated.... and asked... and asked to get it started eventually.
No way is my school capable to even cater for me to be able to accelerate... so i skipped my own Year 11 classes (and still do) to attend the Year 12 classes :)... and when I had normal maths I would also get my maths teacher to teach me the program there.

Concerti

HSC
Another good aspect of accelerating is that you tend to be more studious towards your work because of a whole host of reasons..

Say, you may talk with your friends and not take the subject too seriously to be bothered but when you're accelerating, that changes.

When I accelerated Music 2/Ext in Year 7/8, I didn't know ANYONE so I found it really stressful. On top of that, you can kind of imagine me in year seven with all these year elevens around me :haha: I suppose same applied to maths ext. 1/2

Guage

HSC
geez Concerti how many units you doin next year, like 3? :D

Anyhow, I'm kickin myself for not knowin bout this when I was young and restless and sittin on my ass and scratching it and not much else.

Last edited:

Concerti

HSC
geez Concerti how many units you doin next year, like 3? :D

Anyhow, I'm kickin myself for not knowin bout this when I was young and restless and sittin on my ass and scratching it and not much else.
haha nope ~

adv. english, chem and biology :)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I had to ask my teacher to be accelerated.... and asked... and asked to get it started eventually.
No way is my school capable to even cater for me to be able to accelerate... so i skipped my own Year 11 classes (and still do) to attend the Year 12 classes :)... and when I had normal maths I would also get my maths teacher to teach me the program there.
I know, the same thing happened to me. The majority of teachers at my school didn't even know what acceleration was. And those that did thought that even if there was somebody who were capable of the accelerated work that the timetable would never work. I suppose the moral to the story is to fight for what you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)