What's that term for young pharaohs? ><; lol (1 Viewer)

HSC
Heya ^^

Currently finishing up a report/speech on Hatshepsut...

Ok, I need the term for 'young pharaohs'... Been trying to find it in my notes but can't find it anywhere >< ... I swear it had something to do with falcons ('Cause of the whole Horus idea or something)? ... 'Fettling Falcon'? Something falcons!

.... I'm probably way off XD

Anywho got what it is? I wanna use the term in my speech ^^;

X

xeuyrawp

Hmm... I haven't heard such a word. I assume you think it's an Ancient word?

I don't think that would be the case, as a Pharaoh never depicted himself as young outside of being youthful when old.

rachaelemma

HSC
isn't nestling falcon the term to used when a pharaoh is too young to rule, so a regent must rule on his behalf

X

xeuyrawp

But where's this from?

I can't find a reference to it anywhere online, except on some silly website.

HSC
Yes, it could be used for pharaohs who had regents

It basically a term that younger pharaohs were called as they were recognized to a likeness of Horus in relation to the status of the gods

... It was in a textbook we're curretnly using, New Kingdom Egypt by Mary Demovic & Catherine Baker

X

xeuyrawp

LadySilverWings said:
Yes, it could be used for pharaohs who had regents

It basically a term that younger pharaohs were called as they were recognized to a likeness of Horus in relation to the status of the gods

... It was in a textbook we're curretnly using, New KingdomEgypt by Mary Demovic & Catherine Baker
Hmm. I don't want to demean the authors, but you should be careful with terms unless they're coined by more recognised historians. Demovic and Baker are both high school teachers; neither of whom have done any higher or published research. Unlike, say, Gae Callender who's got a doctorate and has published, as well as being a high school teacher.

Unless they're citing a pre-established term (if so, could you tell me who coined it), I'd stay away from it.

X

xeuyrawp

Ahaha, totally random bump, but I just read this today...

Was doing a translation from Urkunden of a text from the Thutmoside period, and it talks about how Thutmosis III was a bik aA im.y ss=f, 'a great falcon in his nest'.

Lots of boring lexical and grammatical comments aside, this may mean one (or more) of the following:

1. That he was a young pharaoh, in fact too young to rule properly,
2. simply that he was successor, and being prepped to be king,
3. that he was brave in battle and would defend himself and his men in battle like a falcon would protect its young. Or something along those lines.

I think 2 is unlikely because successors were very rarely named in this period (lots of reasons why, can outline them if you'd like). I think 1 is unlikely because you are either a falcon (king) or you're not; you're never a young falcon. If you're a falcon, you're a young adult male, capable of leading the men into battle. It also seems strange to me that he is described as a great falcon, if he were indeed young; aA denotes size, age, maturity, strength, etc, as well as general greatness.

I think 3, or a variant of it is more likely. The term for falcon is frequently used in metaphors (as above) or in similes (eg mi bik iyi.t, like a falcon going), and I think it's probably emphasising the farocity of a falcon defending its nest. There is a frequent epithet of Sekhmet which involves her as a lioness defending her children, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same thing.

Anyone who's been dive-bombed near Australian magpies' nests will know what I'm talking about. To see a falcon defend its nest must be quite amazing.

Anyway, I think what you've read is an interpretation based on either 1 or 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

shellflano

HSC
N/A
Boy pharoahs are called 'nestling falcons' hope this helps!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)