What's so good about marriage? (1 Viewer)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
I want to know what you can get out of marriage that you can't get from a long lasting partnership with someone. I'm not at all opposed to marriage or opposed to those who choose to marry, I'm sick of people spouting that commitment, security and loves can only be found in married couples.

Arguments ahoy!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Find the stats yourself. Married couples make happier, healthier, wealthier, better people with better kids

Lebstr

HSC
if u dnt wanna get married, then dnt get married. dnt gotta complain on a forum

44Ronin

HSC
chicky_pie said:
All I could think of is money when it comes to marriage, my 'future' husband must have a income over 90k, below that, I will say no to marriage.
:rolleyes:

*Baby-K*

HSC
Marriage gets you a piece of paper that says that you and ur partner now have legal responsibilities to care after one another. Personally I don't see anything special in marriage besides the big ceremony. De facto relationships are just as good and soon will be given the same rights as married couples when separating- division of property, maintenance etc. So it's really not a big deal.

ilwkh

HSC
trust me marriage is different. people have relationships that might last however the only way to be sure that a man loves u is when he chooses to marry u. many have relations but the moment it gets to marriage and a serious commitment, they fly away.

*Baby-K*

HSC
ilwkh said:
trust me marriage is different. people have relationships that might last however the only way to be sure that a man loves u is when he chooses to marry u. many have relations but the moment it gets to marriage and a serious commitment, they fly away.
when he chooses to marry you, cheat on you , leave you and you take him for 50 % of what he's got. Bonus points if a child's involved

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
ilwkh said:
Born Dancer said:
I'm not at all opposed to marriage or opposed to those who choose to marry
ilwkh said:
freaking hell. you people have to stop ignoring divorce.

ilwkh

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
when he chooses to marry you, cheat on you , leave you and you take him for 50 % of what he's got. Bonus points if a child's involved

baby-k u r sooooooo negative

*Baby-K*

HSC
ilwkh said:
baby-k u r sooooooo negative
I am not negative- I want to marry later on in my life have a massive white wedding in Paris etc BUT
I am sick of hearing this bullsh**t from my bf about marriage and how it's so important blah blah blah his attitude is that he wants to marry (obviously not now) and be proud to call me his wife and not a partner. To me - it just sounds like he wants to be reassured I am his.
realisticly- WHAT DO YOU GET FROM IT?
that's right you get legal recognition when you split up because before then marriage doesn't provide you with any substantial legal rights. Marriage shows your committment and love for one another, and I am not so sure that everyone marries for love. There was someone in this post who said they're not marrying unless their husband earns 90K +

Miffstaa

HSC
the benefits from marriage are that there is a probability of gaining access to their will after your 'other half' accidentally falls down the stairs that you covered in oil.

no, the new legislation introduced have basically made de-facto relationship and a proper marriage the same...property and items are split if they separate.
so the good thing about marriage? you get to experience some tradition.

HSC
i dont really see marriage meaning anything that special, other than maybe publicly vowing what you should already be doing in a relationship?

i mean, i can understand that it is a celebration, just not why it should strengthen anything.

Pace_T

HSC
gosh a lot of you are stupid.
of course it doesn't mean anything to people who marry divorce and remarry all the time. but to the rest it means a lot because it shows commitment.

you people in this thread who don't see any importance in marriage, you are in the first group. divorce is all around you and you see it as a way out whenever problems arise. marriage is never going to mean anything to you, so STOP LOOKING for an answer.

and if your partner is always talking about marriage and stuff, its just showing that he/she is insecure and desperate to try to keep you. ew.

brainwashed39

HSC
Born Dancer said:
yet you are so idealistic?

edit. im heaps taking the bait from a troll arent i
yeah, you're either taking the bait from a troll or responding to the opinions of someone who is (as you said) idealistic and naive.
in my opinion, people are perfectly entitled to think that marriage will make a difference to anything, i personally think they are kidding themselves.
if you think there is a chance that with out the piece of paper saying that you are married to your partner then they might cheat/leave you/not love you as much then they are just as likely to do that WITH the piece of paper.
personally the idea of a ceremony and the white dress is very unappealing.
so yeah, i totally agree with you.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
i suppose that mebbe there's more of a guarantee that they'll be faithful to you over a longer period of time, although that's probably not all that true any moar

mebbe

44Ronin

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
They put people like you in the western suburbs.

Just.Snaz

HSC
Pace_T said:
gosh a lot of you are stupid.
of course it doesn't mean anything to people who marry divorce and remarry all the time. but to the rest it means a lot because it shows commitment.

you people in this thread who don't see any importance in marriage, you are in the first group. divorce is all around you and you see it as a way out whenever problems arise. marriage is never going to mean anything to you, so STOP LOOKING for an answer.

and if your partner is always talking about marriage and stuff, its just showing that he/she is insecure and desperate to try to keep you. ew.
exactly.

If you feel that divorce is acceptable and can happen as many times as you like well obviously marriage won't mean anything to you. It's all about your values that makes marriage 'meaningful' or 'meaningless'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)