Whats postmodernity? (1 Viewer)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
People have used the term 'postmodernity' in examplars, wtf does it mean?

Also, anyone know where some notes on 50th gate are?

nickw...

HSC
N/A
No idea what it means.

I'd be grateful for some 50th gate notes too.

Paroissien

HSC
Post-modernism. Very briefly it is the concept that objective truth is beyond our reach

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style of the time..

Postmodernism refers to the period when postmodern texts were being generated, and then the term began being used in academia around the 80's. It basically applies to texts from that time which displayed techniques such as pastiche, briocolage and parody. It was first a French movement in philosophy and also an architectural technique. Basically it applies to stuff that displays a marriage of high culture and pop culture, an irreverance for traditional conventions and forms and refutes the existence of a 'truth' (Pomo argues that if we looked for an absolute truth, all we would find is more and more textuality).

Postmodernity, as I understand it, is slightly different. These texts are postmodern in technique but did not originate from the postmodern period, rather they have a postmodern tendency. Its a bit like we sometimes see people writing in styles like Joyce or Salinger (For example of this last one read 'The Fur' by Nathan Hobby') but they arent called Modernist texts. And yeah, one of the first novels ever written 'The Life And Opinions Of Tristam Shandy, Gentlemen' displays postmodern characteristics.

Did people use Postmodernity in reference to The 50th Gate? Im wondering where that could be true, except for maybe the way postmodernism devalues and levels out personal experience.....

Im going to be writing an essay of this next week on Friday for Ext 1 English. Cant wait.........................

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
Post modernists believe that there can be no truth (becaue of all contextual biases etc)
that should sum it up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)