What's Law like? (1 Viewer)

saves.the.day

HSC
Just asking a really general question. I am really interested in what the undergraduate law degree is like.. more so for ANU but I'm sure its the same for most uni's. I just wanted to know about the difficulty of Law and the hours etc.

What I really want to know though, is: do you think I would cope in a law degree as I had not taken legal studies in HSC?

Thankyou very much.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by saves.the.day
Just asking a really general question. I am really interested in what the undergraduate law degree is like.. more so for ANU but I'm sure its the same for most uni's. I just wanted to know about the difficulty of Law and the hours etc.

What I really want to know though, is: do you think I would cope in a law degree as I had not taken legal studies in HSC?

Thankyou very much.
Most people that do Law have never done Legal Studies
Law isn't difficult if you take the time to understand it (and if you have a good lecturer like me!)

Ribbon

Difficulty is, so far for me, not that high, it is just a matter of taking the time to understand everything (as said above). The hours... I have 15 contact hours a week for combined commerce/law and there is a crapload of reading, but I find it pretty easy to get by without doing any of the reading, and just learning the stuff in the lectures... the amount of hours you put in is really up to you, you can make it up to a 40 hour week if you want (there is enough work) or you can do the bare minimum which is probably less than an hour each day...

I did legal studies in the HSC and I notice other people asking questions which are very obvious to me (like for example, whats the difference between common law and statute law, common law and civil law, civil law and criminal law... cos alot of the same terms are used in different contexts, meaning completely different things) but I am of the opinion that it really only takes the foundations course to catch the non-legal studies people up, and afterwards, I can't imagine you being disadvantaged in anyway...

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
It's not overly hard but theres a lot of readings and work involved, and it is possible to grow a case of hatred towards it and run away and do an arts degree instead.... :D

A lot of people love it, a lot of people don't, but if you're willing to put the work in and have an interest in it, go ahead because more than likely, you'll find it really fulfilling, but don't do it because it's what all the cool kiddies do.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
Most people that do Law have never done Legal Studies
Law isn't difficult if you take the time to understand it (and if you have a good lecturer like me!)
I didn't know you were studying Law, Minai?

HSC
Im in my first semester of law and hate it - not because of the 'difficulty', but because of the fact it is so fucking boring, filled with a bunch of geeks, and quite simply... everything about it fucking sucks ass.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Tenax Propositi
I didn't know you were studying Law, Minai?
I'm doing a minor in Business Law (for CA accreditation)
It's essentially the same thing, except we only study relevant courses like Torts, Contracts and Taxation

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by krayziekarnevil
Im in my first semester of law and hate it - not because of the 'difficulty', but because of the fact it is so fucking boring, filled with a bunch of geeks, and quite simply... everything about it fucking sucks ass.
Thursday morning LLB100 ppl are pretty good!

Yeah i get the feeling you either love law or you don't. Legal is def an advantage in foundations and jurisprudence, but thats where the advantage ends i think.

santaslayer

HSC
the advantage of doing legal ends in week one in my opinion.....

and to the thread starter......no , u dont need legal at all, its a subject with NO prereqs!

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Minai
I'm doing a minor in Business Law (for CA accreditation)
It's essentially the same thing, except we only study relevant courses like Torts, Contracts and Taxation
yea its pretty much da same thing...LoLz

hehe, if i wanted to get accredited with a cpa or ca i would have advance standing for a law subject already!
im doing it this term! :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by santaslayer
yea its pretty much da same thing...LoLz
yes thats the advantage, I dont have to do criminal law, or admin law or any other irrelevant subjects
bus law subjects are pretty much equivalent to law faculty subjects (they cant teach the law any differently)

miss_rachel

This will sound stupid, but what is jurisprudence anyway????

That sounds cool how you're doing Business law and just centring on the things relevant for you Minai.

I do legal so I hope it helps me. I did the mock trials last year too, I hope that they help. I was closing barrister. I put hours and hours and hours in reseaching. I gotta get in first I spose, but here's hoping...

Ashleet

HSC
Originally posted by miss_rachel
This will sound stupid, but what is jurisprudence anyway????
i have one girl in my course who doesnt actually know what jurisprudence means yet, but to sound smart when answering questions she'll just thrown it in a few times to a totally irrelevant topic.

miss_rachel

I hate people like that so much. I don't undastand why people won't just ask if they need help, rather than sound stupid for the sake of making themselves feel intelligent.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by miss_rachel

I do legal so I hope it helps me.

I did the mock trials last year too, I hope that they help. I was closing barrister. I put hours and hours and hours in reseaching. I gotta get in first I spose, but here's hoping...
1) Yes, but ur advantage with legal ends after the first week- Legal history :p

2) Mock trial would prep u fpr mooting!

santaslayer

HSC
UNSW has B Jurispurendence/LLB, bu it sems kinda gay to me.....its like Law+Law!

anyone doing that course here ?

santaslayer

HSC
Nearly like mock trial.......just more formal and stuff.....its a univrsity competition.battlle of the legal eagles!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)