whats hist. ext like? (1 Viewer)

jess333

HSC
hi this is my first post, hope i have it in the right spot. i just wanted to find out what hist. ext is like, coz i love ancient history and was thinking about doing it. if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated!

HayleeKate

HSC
history ext is the best ever! I do modern, not ancient and just thought i'd try hist ext, even though I didnt need the units, having 15, including 4u maths, but now its my best and favourite subject!!!! history ext is whatever you make it, the assessment marks throughout the year, 80% of them is on your own researcxh project, you pick the topic on absolutely any historical topic at all! not even that historical if you like, kids at my school doing the developement of punk music and stuff, and its an easy subject to do well at (i say this not knowing your teacher, but generally an easy subject to do well at I think). So I vote, try hist ext, (you can always drop it) and really, what youre studying for alot of it is up to you, so you can make it as good or bad as you like.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
it is actually 40% of one's assessment mark. well personally i do ancient, though at the end of year 10 i had a choice of doing either anceint or modern. i chose ancient, since it was more of my specailty.

however, i would recommend it if you have truly grasped the true meaning of history. that is, beyonf the knowledge of anceint history. this would include the analysis of your sources, and the reasoning.

HayleeKate

HSC
wrong_turn said:
it is actually 40% of one's assessment mark.
"40%" of the assessment of a 1 unit extension subject, which is 40% out of 50%, its actually mathematically incorrect calling it 40%, because its not even out of 100, only 50, so really it is 40/50 of your assessment mark which they call 40%, BUT mathematically, 80%.

Still, I rate history extension, give it a go for sure.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
woops sorry! i meant it as 40% of one's school assessment mark, meaning it to be 10% of one's hsc mark. :D

jess333

HSC
great coz im loving ancient, its really interesting. i dont like modern as much, and only picked it up coz i dropped biology coz i really suck at sciences and im heaps better at essay based topics but modern isnt that bad. is it true that the majority of the assessment of hist. ext is made up of a research based topic instead of an exam?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
well at the moment it is more reading than actual questions. however, when analysing the historians, you are answering questions of history. history extension isn't as researchable as in recent years. we are now supplied with a resource book, in which all the historian's exerts are already there for us to analyse and use.

djmattyd

HSC
Yeh it is, it's 80% based on the assessment mark you get from your personal interest project.

However, this doesn't reflect the amount of work you put into the other 20%. In class, we spend our whole time looking at historiography (historiography is the study of the writing of history). You also look at a "Case Study" which your teacher chooses, and look at the historical debates regarding that study. It's quite a complicated course, and a very, very large course for 1 unit.

I'd advise you only to do it if you truly love history, don't mind writing essays, and are willing to put in a lot of work into it, because for a one unit subject, it is a lot of work.

But, having said that, it's rewarding:). Haha

HayleeKate

HSC
djmattyd said:
Yeh it is, it's 80% based on the assessment mark you get from your personal interest project.

However, this doesn't reflect the amount of work you put into the other 20%. In class, we spend our whole time looking at historiography (historiography is the study of the writing of history). You also look at a "Case Study" which your teacher chooses, and look at the historical debates regarding that study. It's quite a complicated course, and a very, very large course for 1 unit.

I'd advise you only to do it if you truly love history, don't mind writing essays, and are willing to put in a lot of work into it, because for a one unit subject, it is a lot of work.

But, having said that, it's rewarding:). Haha
I agree and disagree, it is a fair bit of work for a 1 unit subject, but they generally are, history extension is less work than 4 unit maths or 3 units maths, and theyre both 1 unit'ers.
BUT, dont be discouraged by the idea of it being alot of work, it's not a huge straining work load, more and enjoyable type of work, and you get really passionate about your research t\project, since you pick the topic, and you just want to do it. I find myself at the beach on weekends, and I always take my books about conquistadores with me because I love it (My research project is: 'Aztec Conquest: Hernando Cortes' sucess or Montezuma's failure'). As long as you do a bit of homework each week and dont let it build up, the work's not overwhelming.

djmattyd

HSC
HayleeKate said:
I agree and disagree, it is a fair bit of work for a 1 unit subject, but they generally are, history extension is less work than 4 unit maths or 3 units maths, and theyre both 1 unit'ers.
BUT, dont be discouraged by the idea of it being alot of work, it's not a huge straining work load, more and enjoyable type of work, and you get really passionate about your research t\project, since you pick the topic, and you just want to do it. I find myself at the beach on weekends, and I always take my books about conquistadores with me because I love it (My research project is: 'Aztec Conquest: Hernando Cortes' sucess or Montezuma's failure'). As long as you do a bit of homework each week and dont let it build up, the work's not overwhelming.
True, the reading can be enjoyable at times.

I personally thought 3 U maths wasnt as much work as this, it's a lot more work than either of my english ext courses, and I dont want to know if it's more than 4 unit maths lol.

If you're passionate about history and your chosen topic, then I am sure you will enjoy the course. Just be aware of the work load, coz it's what scared away a few of my friends, and others who have done the course have done poorly because they didn't realise how much work they had to put into it.

But it is worth doing if you're interested in the way history is written, and that sort of thing.

a8o

HSC
the workload's very managable if you start early. and you can almost predict the question in the exam...if youre good at writing essays and know your stuff youll be able to slant your essay to use the source material they give you in the exam.

very worth doing.

Plebeian

jess333 said:
is it true that the majority of the assessment of hist. ext is made up of a research based topic instead of an exam?
Sort of. Your research project is worth 80% of your internal assessment, and thus 40% overall. But the external HSC exam is still worth 50% of your overall mark, as in any subject. So the exam is still worth more than the research project, on the whole.

a8o said:
the workload's very managable if you start early. and you can almost predict the question in the exam...if youre good at writing essays and know your stuff youll be able to slant your essay to use the source material they give you in the exam.
Yes ... if you're good at writing, the same basic essay can be used to answer almost every question you can conceivably be asked in the "What is History?" topic.

History Extension is not an easy subject, and it does take a reasonable amount of work. But if you have fair time management skills (ie. don't leave your major project until 3 days before it's due) and do a bit of work each week, then it's a very interesting, enjoyable and rewarding (both in content and marks) course to take.

icedcoffee123

HSC
its heaps of fun you learn about how history is constructed and written both ancient and modern, its probably my fav class tied 1st with ancient history :p

smashleigh_15

HSC
woah, yeah i do that subject lol mmmmm you know i do it but i dont really enjoy it all that much, but aye im doin it for the hell of it and it makes me sound smart that im doin an extention subject, but i think its a pretty anyoin subject where u have to read stuff, where all these old guys try to sound smart and really they are talkin bout crap and i could have said what took them 2 pages to write in like 2 paragraphs lol but u know if u ppls like i aint goin to diss yall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)