What's ex1 like? (1 Viewer)

libestraumno3

HSC
hiii i do both extensions and the work load is manageable. i toppedboth my eng classes for t1:) i really like the topics im doing for ex1. somewhat similar to previously mentioned: power and morality was the overarching theme.
my prelim assessments are:
t1: creative narrative - anything with a morally ambiguous theme
t2: research presentation - pick two related texts/compare them
t3: prelim exams

my timetable is a bit different though, i have ex1 once a week but only because its a double AFTER school. so i finish school at 5;20 on mondays and then my mx1 classes are twice a week from 7;30. tbh ive been putting off ex1 more than my other subjects bc its smaller in size and just laid back??? class discussions are so fun. i <3 browning's poetry

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
I was wondering what you learn in ex1 for prelims and hsc? Is it a lot of creative writing? Is it ideal to do ex1 and mx1 for prelims?
Heyyy! English ext for me was way more philosophical and contextual heavy in comparison to english advanced. At my school, our overarching theme/concept is Utopia and Dystopia so we are studying Thomas More's Utopia, Huxley's brave new world and scott's blade runner. For prelim assessments:
t1 - similar to @libestraumno3 creative narrative - anything with a morally ambiguous theme
t2 - analytical essay with the three texts
t3 - Independent Research Project

I do both extensions and in terms of workload, its not too bad. If you do choose english ext, choose it if you at least mildly like english or else you'll end up dreading it. From personal experience and experience of classmates, doing ext english does not help that much with advanced. Hope this helps!

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
do u think it’s a good idea to just pick it so i don’t have to do 13 units in y11 and drop in y12? if i do that i’ll probs put very minimal effort in cos i hate english
many people i know did that - one of my best friends did and ended up dropping it after picking up mx2 (and she hates english lol). in my school it was only a twice a week thing and the classes were really short so she was fine with it. for her, it was a lot of work though, and towards the end of the year she just gave up (but she did put in some effort because she didn't want a totally horrible grade)

Note: doing EE1 doesn't mean adv will become easier
i agree, i was around the top 3 in english last year in year 11 and i performed higher than all my friends who did ex1, like i love english and i would've wanted to do ex1 but you can do completely fine with just advanced

ex1 could help with your writing skills and conceptual thinking (as i've been told by other people who do ex1) but tbh if you're crap with english and you really hate english that much you might as well stick with consolidating and improving your skills in year 11 english advanced because i doubt ex1 would help you then

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
i agree, i was around the top 3 in english last year in year 11 and i performed higher than all my friends who did ex1, like i love english and i would've wanted to do ex1 but you can do completely fine with just advanced
You are now marking all of my essays
I will pay u if needed

Ksalu

HSC
do u think it’s a good idea to just pick it so i don’t have to do 13 units in y11 and drop in y12? if i do that i’ll probs put very minimal effort in cos i hate english
In my opinion, while in theory, 12 units with both extension may seem like less of a workload, extension english from my experience, is essentially a 2u subject, so you would still have a 13u workload just disguised as 12 units. And while I am assuming you will get study periods with just 12 units, I don't know anyone who has actually utilised the study periods effectively. I feel like if you do hate english, just choose another subject that you enjoy or dont mind. Considering you are doing quite heavy workload subject already, maybe consider a bludge subject?

carrotsss

HSC
do as many units as you can in y11 so you have more options in year 12

anonymoushehe

HSC
ik this is for ext 1 eng but does anyone do ancient history?? I have four units left to choose, and I was somewhat interested in history but then idk wtf to do with my other two units.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
ik this is for ext 1 eng but does anyone do ancient history?? I have four units left to choose, and I was somewhat interested in history but then idk wtf to do with my other two units.
depends on your level of interest in history currently, imo. personally i don't suggest doing either of the history units unless you have some interest in whatever history you pick / interested in actually learning about it (ancient or modern, and the topics that you study in them especially for the HSC) because the content can be a lot and overwhelming and can be easy to fall behind and hard to catch up if it's not something you enjoy even at least a small bit

kkk579

hello
HSC
In my opinion, while in theory, 12 units with both extension may seem like less of a workload, extension english from my experience, is essentially a 2u subject, so you would still have a 13u workload just disguised as 12 units. And while I am assuming you will get study periods with just 12 units, I don't know anyone who has actually utilised the study periods effectively. I feel like if you do hate english, just choose another subject that you enjoy or dont mind. Considering you are doing quite heavy workload subject already, maybe consider a bludge subject?
what’s a good bludge where u can get decent marks even putting in the minimal effort (like studying the day before the exam or smth)

hscgirl

HSC
i did exactly the scenario u outlined above, and i regret it

i thought doing ex1 would be valuable extra english practice and i will just drop it in y12 anyway, so there is no need to put in extra effort (plus i only wanted to do 12 units). but (personally) u will start to dread english hw as u have way too much of it, and on top of ex1 hw u have eng adv hw, and u wanna just do eng adv hw since that amount of english hw is already too much

so imo, i rlly advise u only to do ex1 if u genuinely enjoy english and doing lots of english hw. if i could go back to the start of y11, i would have picker 1u sor or 1u slr instead of ex1 to make up 12 units

Ksalu

HSC
👋
what are the subjects that you definitely want to do? what interests you? Ancient like modern does provide the opportunity for history ext in y12 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)