• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What's difference between - B Science(Computer Science)/BMedia Arts and just the... (1 Viewer)

changing_skies

HSC
B Computer Sciene Degree @ UNSW? - sorry, couldn't finish the title!

I looked at their timetables and they look relatively the same and then I searched up on UAC and all it talked about is Media Arts, but it's a double degree so now I'm confused if there is computer sciene in it :S

I'm interesting in doing the B Computer Sciene, but in comparison the degree with Media Arts has an atar cut off of 82 which I can get into, while just B Comp Science is 91 which I can't.

I was thinking of perhaps transferring over to computer engineering or just having the one degree... Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense, but any help would be appreciated, including what you learn and do in a Computer Sciene Degree :)

Reety

HSC
Re: What's difference between - B Science(Computer Science)/BMedia Arts and just the.

I'm not sure, but the B Media Arts/B Computer Science I think has more of an emphasis on Media Arts. Personally, if you aren't sure about Media Arts, I think it'd be best to do B Science and then transfer later on -- that's what my friend (who's in the same predicament as you) plans on doing. Not to mention the Media Arts/Comp Sci degree is 5 years long.

As for what you do in a Computer Science degree -- most of it is programming; Java, C++, etc. It's basically learning computer language, writing a set of instructions (codes) and then watching them being carried out. If you're absolutely and completely new at it, I recommend reading a book on it or practicing some basic coding during the break. Especially since there are kids who've been doing coding since they were ten in that course >.<"

I was actually considering doing Media Arts/CompSci over the CompSci degree because a double degree just seemed more useful, but on further look I decided to just do the CompSci degree. Also, if you're interested in CompSci but haven't made the cut-off, have you looked into doing any of the IPT Engineering degrees at UTS?

Last edited:

changing_skies

HSC
Re: What's difference between - B Science(Computer Science)/BMedia Arts and just the.

Thank you so much for your reply :)

I have looked at the IPT engineering degrees and sadly I miss the cut off by two points, but perhaps they might lower it?! So I am thinkin of putting that in my pereferences, I'm also thinking of doing the B science in IT and B International studies but again I miss the cut off by 0.25 points, sooo yeah. I'm also thinking of the B compsci and technology at USYD which I can get into!

To be honest compsci and computer engineering is like my last resort here cos I can't get into civil engineering which i was thinking of previously to all this atar and hsc results but i am having seconds thoughts, me being a girl and all. And now that you mentioned all the coding, I'm starting to get nervous, all the coding i know is on my tumblr blog so it should be similar, I just need to get my head around it! And if i dont like it hopefully transfer over!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

It's ICT Engineering, and if you are just a couple of marks off the cutoff it's still worth putting it down if you are interested. "Tumblr codes" are just HTML and MAYBE a little CSS - still a language but nothing like real programming. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do computer science? Besides the coding it's got a lot of maths and theoritical stuff about algorithms and what not. Also just fyi, UTS have no traditional Comp Sci course. The ICT Engineering degrees, depending on the major, are more comparable to a Software, Computer or Telecoms engineering degree at somewhere like UNSW and the Bachelor of Science in IT course is more of an IT course with a bit of computer science subjects (it has no math subjects or focus on theory).

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC

FTR, computer science is a mathematical discipline (not a science at all) which doesn't have anything to do with computers. In a computer science degree, you'll be doing a mix of this purely theoretical content and the more practical (but less interesting) skills involved in software engineering. If you don't like maths, you might want to consider getting a software engineering degree, which will be more oriented towards project work and software development itself.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

If you don't like maths, you might want to consider getting a software engineering degree, which will be more oriented towards project work and software development itself.
+1. You will still need to be comfortable with maths because of all the engineering core subjects. I have a friend who was doing ICT Engineering (Software) but chose to transfer to Bachelor of Science in IT and major in programming there after having some trouble with maths this year and getting fed up of the engineering core subjects. The way everything is at the moment employers don't discriminate against specific degrees too much (from what i've read) and it's all about how you perform in interviews and coding on white boards etc. which are in a way skills not taught at uni. Supposedly theres no shortage of people graduating with Comp Sci degrees who are unable write simple programs and think logically, look up FizzBuzz and theres an article about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)