What's course do I need to do for veterinary. (1 Viewer)

beaubrah

HSC
I wanna go to usyd and do a veterinarian course like at uni, I want to be one after uni. Whats the actual course I have to do at usyd. Is it BACHELOR OF ANIMAL AND VETERINARY BIOSCIENCE

Or

BACHELOR OF VETERINARY BIOLOGY AND DOCTOR OF VETERINARY MEDICINE

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jewls

HSC
N/A
You need to define more specifically what you want to do.

Do you want to work in animal medical research?
Do you want to work in animal welfare government policy?
Do you want to work as a veterinary clinician with cats and dogs? Or cattle/sheep.
Do you want to work in agribusiness in a company working with production animals?

People with veterinary degrees work in these roles. But if you have a specific job you want there can often be shorter courses/pathways to some of the above jobs as many non-veterinarians also work in some of these roles. The Animal and Veterinary Bioscience degree is very different to a veterinary degree and might have similar job outcomes to this one: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/BScBiovetSci/Employability.cfm

If you want to become a veterinary clinician then you need to do the 6 year Bachelor/Doctor combination at USyd (or equivalent degree at the other six universities in Australia). You then need to be aware that if you are in the bottom 20% of your graduating class of veterinarians in terms of academics AND social/customer relations skills then you are unlikely to get a full time job as a veterinarian (see GradStats). Also it is worthwhile having a Google search on wages and stresses related to the veterinary profession.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I wanna go to usyd and do a veterinarian course like at uni, I want to be one after uni. Whats the actual course I have to do at usyd. Is it BACHELOR OF ANIMAL AND VETERINARY BIOSCIENCE

Or

BACHELOR OF VETERINARY BIOLOGY AND DOCTOR OF VETERINARY MEDICINE

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
If ya wanna be a vet yes

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
You need to do the Bachelor of Vet. Biology and Doctor of Vet. Medicine to be a clinical vet :)

Sami7197

HSC
Usyd has an atar of 97.3 for Vet biology/DVM HOWEVER animal bioscience will be able to lead into the graduate DVM (total of 8 years) if you receive very good marks for the course. Usyd also requires you to get 150/200 for a stat test annd fill out a commitment statement

Before you go all crazy and decide you are going to go into vet here are my tips:
*Do some work experience and maybe volunteer at you local vet hospital - its a tough area and you have to realise that animal have to be PTS, and things can always go wrong in surgery
* Do some work with larger animals (cattle, horses) as well as with small animals
* figure out whether you enjoy or are good at science
* figure out if you have the skills to make it in vet

Also you have to realise that USYD has one of the lowest graduate employment rates (hence why I've made it second preference for myself) and it is an INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE COURSE (Currently $10,000/year for 6 -> 8 years and it'll probably sky rocket with the new budget) and the starting wage (if you are lucky enough to get a job) is around $45,000/year.

If after you've done all this and are still certain this is what you want to do most unis have the following assume knowledge (not prerequisite but does require a bridging course if you haven't covered them):
*HSC Physics
*HSC Chemistry
*HSC Adv Maths
*HSC english
The following subjects are also recommended:
*HSC Biology
*HSC 3u Maths (Extension 1)

I wish you luck with finding information as I've found i know more than my school about a career in vet science.
I'm currently studying yr 12 physics, chemistry, biology, adv maths and standard english and am placed in about the top 5 for every science course and top 10 for the other subjects. Its a lot of work and a social life pretty much is a no.
I've also attempted to get as much experience as possible and posses experiences in:
*cattle
*sheep
*horses (10 years)
*dogs (compete and train in dog sports)
*clinical environments

evasharman

HSC
Vet. Biology, recommended to do HSC Chem, Physics, Advanced (if not 3 unit maths) and maybe Bio (not really necessary) for the HSC !
Good luck!
Source: My dad's a vet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)