whats a good raw 4unit HSC mark? (1 Viewer)

Oarsum_poo

Louie
HSC
When they scale the HSC marks that look at the cadidates subjects if most of the extension2 students do physics chem and other considered 'intellectual' subjects they will scale up. If however most of the canditure do retail, exploring early childhood subjects of that nature then the marks will not nearly conribute as much to the UAI and scaling will go down.

Raginsheep

HSC
Thats not true. Its theoritically possible for any subject to receive very high scaling UAI-wise. Please note that scaling for your UAI and for your final HSC exam marks are unrelated.

The reason any subject scales highly for their UAI is because the candidature for that particular subject does well in other subjets. Since the better students are more likely to pick subjects such as 4u maths. Since the better students also do better in their other subjects such as English, the 4u marks is scaled better when calculating UAI.

BTW, the 4u cohort's performance in the 3u exam relative to 3u only cohort has a significant impact on your 4u scaling. Study hard people.

Affinity

HSC
actually not exactly.. scaling could be good for a subject if people did average in otehr subject but very badlhy in that particular one too.

H

housemouse

I so want a 90 in the HSC for 4 unit maths. It'd kill me if i didnt get at least 90. I would be shamed forever.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
Oarsum_poo said:
When they scale the HSC marks that look at the cadidates subjects if most of the extension2 students do physics chem and other considered 'intellectual' subjects they will scale up. If however most of the canditure do retail, exploring early childhood subjects of that nature then the marks will not nearly conribute as much to the UAI and scaling will go down.
I know who you aaarree... I know who you aaarrrrrreee... I know who you aaaarrreee... :)

You'll never guess who. <3 ;)

Raginsheep

HSC
Affinity said:
actually not exactly.. scaling could be good for a subject if people did average in otehr subject but very badlhy in that particular one too.
Scailing works on the basis of the entire group. If everyone in 4u maths did as u suggested, then it'd have shit all scaling but in reality on average a 4u student does better. Hence 4u gets good scaling.

pesila

HSC
With reference to choosing 4u over 2u. I think from experience that anyone capable of doing well in 4u, and this is looking at about 70+/120, (not great) but they should be able to get at least 116/120 in 2u incorporating silly mistakes. Keep in mind that people having done 4u tend to get this mark first time through a 2u paper in less than half the time. I think if you're strong in a lot of other subjects and feel that you might not reach a great score in 4u, there's no real harm in dropping to 3u so you can sit the 2u paper, which you should have enough basic ability to get 116/120, which should very comfortably be scaled to above 90. There is a MYTH that when you do 4u, you automatically get 100 for 2u. Completely false, and hopefully you all know that. I think it's twisted from if you work at 4u, you should be able to get 100% if you ever sat the 2u exam.

But if 4u will be one of your strengths, it might be worthwhile keeping it, seeing its contribution will be higher than 2u for a high aligned mark. Another advantage of 4u is it builds your 3u as long as you keep at both. So you do better in the 3u exam and as a plus, it counts towards 2 units of work rather than 1 if you just do 3u.

Again if you're really willing to do all that initial work to build up your maths ability in 2 and 3u, you could do 4u and realising you'd go better if you drop and given you've got some units spare, drop to 3u and still blitz those exams fairly well. But doing this will take time away from other subjects, which you could recover, but I'm not making any promises.

H

housemouse

All the effort that 3 unit students put into 3 unit just doesnt seem to be worth it anymore to me since it only counts as one unit and a majority of them wont be up there.

And it doesnt seem to make much sense if your just looking at candidature average in each course to determine scaling because i would say the raw mark averages would be pretty low in 4 unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
i'm just wondering, if for example you have a very strong 3 unit mark but a terrible 4 unit mark in the hsc, will the 4 unit mark pull my 3 unit down significantly?

because i'm starting to spend alot of time on 3 unit because i found out its worth 2 units since i'm doing 4 unit.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
bukwow said:
i'm just wondering, if for example you have a very strong 3 unit mark but a terrible 4 unit mark in the hsc, will the 4 unit mark pull my 3 unit down significantly?

because i'm starting to spend alot of time on 3 unit because i found out its worth 2 units since i'm doing 4 unit.
3 and 4 unit marks have nothing to do with each other, they're given out independently. So no, it wont pull down your 3 unit mark.

P

pLuvia

bukwow said:

Both 4u and 3u are worth 2 units, its only if your only doing 3u and 2u that 3u is worth one

Raginsheep

HSC
housemouse said:
All the effort that 3 unit students put into 3 unit just doesnt seem to be worth it anymore to me since it only counts as one unit and a majority of them wont be up there.

And it doesnt seem to make much sense if your just looking at candidature average in each course to determine scaling because i would say the raw mark averages would be pretty low in 4 unit.
All UAI calculations are based on blocks of 1 unit. If your going to do well in 3u, it can offset your (relatively) bad marks in another subject.

And scaling for the 4u subject is made by looking at other subjects sat by 4u students. 4u has no effect on 4u scaling.

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
Raginsheep said:
All UAI calculations are based on blocks of 1 unit. If your going to do well in 3u, it can offset your (relatively) bad marks in another subject.

And scaling for the 4u subject is made by looking at other subjects sat by 4u students. 4u has no effect on 4u scaling.
i don't get what you mean, so your saying that if u got band 5/6 for 3 unit maths, physics and chem and u did very shocking in 4 unit, it gets scaled up?

Raginsheep

HSC
If you read my previous posts, I mentioned that UAI scaling works with the entire subject candidature, not individuals.

Seriously people have a quick thought about it...how exactally do you determine whether a raw mark of 70/120 in subject A is equviliant to a 70/120 in subject b?

Raginsheep

HSC
Sorry, I was replying to bukwow. Unfortunately, I often leave replies unposted for a while hence you got in before me.

Raginsheep

HSC
Like we've said before, depends on the difficulty of the paper.

dongypro

HSC
haque said:
it's pretty easy to get over 110 at home but it's different in the exam

marks in practice ones

1990-117
1991-114
1992-haven't done yet
1993-109-stuffed this one bad, that beast from sydney grammer got 120 tht year
1994-114-fairly easy and the list goes on-VERDICT-2000 was in my opinion the hardest
so u can get those marks in 3 hours rofl

u must be a freak

this is including all the harder 3u..

i only get like 70-80 range for every test... even thats hard to keep up with...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)