What You All Get? (1 Viewer)

rent

josie,

Read the syllabus properly! Ok, this is what it is: - no locus of ellipses or NON-RECTANGULAR hyperboles. But, you are required to know how to do locus of rectangular hyperboles. (unless the syllabus has changed that last year).

People put stuff that is NOT is the syllabus all the time in the HSC. There's nothing you can do about it. But they do it least in EX 2 maths, so be happy.

I am pissed off that this EX 2 maths paper was too easy.

I got 85-90/120. I can see more than one person getting full marks in the exam.

Jason

I agree with nakata - the test wasn't broad enough. What happened to resisted motion? Or, for that matter, motion in general? That circular motion question was too simple - it wasn't worth the six marks. Question 8 was really hard, especially the polynomials/complex numbers bit - but that's probably my weakest point. And, in retrospect, the complex vectors question wasn't as hard as it looked - I should have attempted more of it. Overall, I found that, for me, the easy part was too easy and the hard part was too hard. They should have made it more even, in regards to difficulty and the types of questions.

josie_is_slut

ummm rent..........u dont have to tell me again, some other guy jus told me.....and wat u talking about its 2 easy, u get like 85-90 and u complaining its too easy....u lost like 30 marks.........i jus rekon our year is the smartest year to do the hsc, we got like 3000 students, more than any other year, every other year had about only 2000, .....jus by looking at these boards, we got a lot of smart ppl......its not the test that was easy, .....its all u nerds out there that made this test seem easy 2 ya

rent

josie,

i'm telling you that this test is the easiest test ever for ex 2. Did you do any past papers under timed conditions? I'll also tell you that the canditature is roughly the same as last year, even though we have more people.
And 85-90 is a good mark!

josie_is_slut

yeh i did heaps under timed conditions, all the ones since 1990......ok 1- 6wast all text book work, and the 1st five questions were easy, but wat about 7 and 8.........how do u call them easy, u've neva seen em b4, ......

Jason

I found the 99 paper much easier (done under exam conditions). Found the 98 one hard - even last years was better.

Last edited:

lyfestyle

dreamin

you people are dreaming the 4U test is written to have an average student finish 60% of the paper and get 60% of attempted questions right - and anyone reading this post should be able to work out thats a raw mark of 36% - or about 43 or so out of 120 - that gets scaled to mid eighties - again the mean HSC mark i think was low mid 80s for last years exam. so if you think you got 110/120 your either dreaming or studied a shitload seeing as with that youd easy top the state.
anyway as for my views on the exam and as to stop bitching about you all lol sorry folks, but anyway, put it this way i did every past paper back to 1990 not with ease, but they were at least doable. as for this years - well fcuk i had the worst time ever i couldnt sleep the night before and i had mind blanks thru the test....9 mark recurring integral question, i couldnt even do it, got home and did it without thinking - as with the mechanics and circle geo - which sucked because there was so much i just didnt think about in the exam for some stupid ass reason - i had time to calculate my max possible raw mark of 45% - which is still ok i guess going from stats on prev yers should get weighted/moderated/scaled to low 90s/100, like my mate 2 yrs ago only attempted 50% of the paper and still got 92/100 for his HSC mark - so yeah something to think about...

oh yeah - and the probability question was simple u mustave been trying to make it too hard it was only blindingly obvious - either that or i completely stuffed it up, judging on my performance in the rest of the exam i suppose the latter is more probable haha excuse the pun :rolleyes:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Re: dreamin

Originally posted by lyfestyle
my mate 2 yrs ago only attempted 50% of the paper and still got 92/100 for his HSC mark
Encouraging ...

Winsux

notice that was 2 years ago - THE OLD HSC!! thie NEW one is pretty different with scaling etc i think

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Winsux
notice that was 2 years ago - THE OLD HSC!! thie NEW one is pretty different with scaling etc i think
Less encouarging ...

utopian731

Eudaimonian
General Apathy and Major Boredom singing "whatever and ever, amen"

Originally posted by rent
josie,

i'm telling you that this test is the easiest test ever for ex 2. Did you do any past papers under timed conditions? I'll also tell you that the canditature is roughly the same as last year, even though we have more people.
And 85-90 is a good mark!
I dunno how anyone can argue that last years was harder than this years exam!
Last years was kinda easier because it was so broad, nothing *that* difficult.

I notice a lot of people have said how this one sucked because it didnt test everything..how didnt it, give me a subject area that wasnt in it, you can't expect erverything to be in it. boo hoo, no banked circular track, who cares? if i wanted to do physics, i would have, all i know is it bored me to tears last year.
One thing though, the integration is a bit easy these days.

Originally posted by Winsux

True, but that would onyl change the mark out of one hundred. "That's important" they all say. No, not really. Maths has been unchanged as far as syllabus and candidature goes in the new HSC. So therefore, whatever the raw mark was two years ago will place you in a similar percentile now to what it did then. This percentile is what UAC cares about, so the scaling for the UAI (which i think everyone cares a little more about than some meanigless mark out fo 100) will be comperable now with hwo it was 2 years ago.

ps. the UAI is meaningless too, i know...it doesnt really show anything, well certainly not someone's intelligence, thats for sure

later, should prolly start studying for my latin exams

josie_is_slut

the uai is meaningless, the hsc is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over rated, no one cares wat uai u got after a few years, its not like its gonna guarantee u a job or something. someone gets 99.9999...............BIG SHIT, it doesnt mean anything, all the uai is jus to get entry into a good course into uni, and to impress u parents, thats it, its al the teachers fault and the BOS, they try and scare ya for no reason, that this is the hardest test u will ever have to face
wattta load of shit:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :mad:

utopian731

Eudaimonian
No one's gonna care after about two weeks actually

it diturbs me when people rekon uai is a measure of how smart they are. The smartest people i know aint gonna get 99.9 or whatever. Most of my friends who are gona get very high uais are are not that smart, definitelynot as smart as they think they are

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by utopian731
No one's gonna care after about two weeks actually

it diturbs me when people rekon uai is a measure of how smart they are. The smartest people i know aint gonna get 99.9 or whatever. Most of my friends who are gona get very high uais are are not that smart, definitelynot as smart as they think they are
hahaha...and how do you reckon we should judge "smartness"?

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Well i suppose that's a personal thing

Soeaking just about HSC subjects, I rekon the humanities are amuch better indication and more important than sciences/maths (i do 4unit, so im not biased here).

Bit as far as "general smartness" goes, im taling about a good understanding and aptitude of the world and others. Insight and the ability to communicate well. Now dont' get me wrong, I'm not saying Captain Chemistry who gets 100.00 can't be pone ofthese people, but the two are not related.

'teva...opinion

spice girl

magic mirror
I reckon "smartness" is the ability to solve problems...all sorts of problems...that's the umbrella definition I can come up with today...

understanding, communication, insight, are necessary but not sufficient...

activist

Hey everyone, I've been browsing the boards for a little while, and Utopian you have really pissed me off and forced me to register. Let me start by saying I saw your post in maths ext 1 forum, going on about studying to hard and natural tallent and implying the bs that is the HSC. Then I saw you in this forum having a whinge about the UAI. For me you fall into the category of the pseudo-intelligent. You think you are incredibly smart and that your HSC and UAI results don't justify it. Get over yourselves. Sad creatures unable to accept inferiority. Sure whilst the UAI might not be the best gauge of intelligence, it is not completely far off, those who get UAIs are obviously very intelligent. They not be the very best, but they'd be close, and that's all that matters really. You seem to have an antipathy towards the HSC and UAI, perhaps you aren't going to get a good one perhaps? People always complain how the HSC doesn't measure intelligence, 99% of the time its the people complaining are going shit and feel that they are naturally smarter. Probably 90% of the time they complain about how people can study, but they themselves also study and go shit. It's unbearably irritating to hear people whinge about how they are smart but don't study and therefore don't go well. People propose iq tests instead, and if they were introduced I reckon they would still get shit results and complain about the test as well. On the whole 'smart' thing, I'm sure here we are talking about natural aptitude. You do validate yourself slightly when you say captain chemistry may still be smart, but how can you not link smartness to maths and scientists. The most universal and objective of subjects - maths, has black and white answers. If you can't get them and others can, you complain about how you are smart and maths is not a measure of intelligence. Pfft there was an answer processable by logic and you couldn't get it, what a sad person that goes on to claim that mathematics and 'smartness' are unrelated. Furthermore, you aruge that humanities are the true measure of 'smartness.' Perhaps this is the only form of subject where you are actually accredited with smartness, because of it's high level of subjectivity. People will always disagree on what is good and what is not in terms of the humanities, but in maths it's clear cut and don't dare tell me it's not 'smart' for someone who can get all the answers. Pathetic freak, oh by the way in the 4 u maths exam in 2000 the highest mark was 113.

spice girl

magic mirror
Activist,

What happens when someone chooses three sciences, gets 90 in all of them, and gets a good UAI, whilst someone else chooses 2 humanities (e.g. Mod H, eco) and one science, gets 90 in all three, and gets a comparatively shit UAI, all because of UAC scaling?

Then is intelligence fairly judged here? Just because two students are good at different things?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)