What would you like to see on BOS? (1 Viewer)

j0sh

HSC
N/A
Re: What would you like to see on BOS 2007?

1. Faster server(s), yes, either through multiple servers or an upgrade of the current box. If looking for a cheaper solution, you can use load balancers, PHP op cachers, accelerators, anything. Perhaps MySQL should be updated from 4.0.25 to the generally available release (currently 5.0.45), as well as vBulltin (from 3.5.3 to the currently latest version, 3.8.6) - there may have been some performance optimizations, not to mention additional/enhanced features. I assumed this is hosted on a dedicated server.

2. An official IRC channel. I just double-checked before pressing "Post". I didn't realise the channel on austnet.org was the official channel.

PS: What are the specs of the webserver? Why is an Australian board being hosted on a US webserver? :eek:

HSC

j0sh said:
1. Faster server(s), yes, either through multiple servers or an upgrade of the current box. If looking for a cheaper solution, you can use load balancers, PHP op cachers, accelerators, anything. Perhaps MySQL should be updated from 4.0.25 to the generally available release (currently 5.0.45), as well as vBulltin (from 3.5.3 to the currently latest version, 3.8.6) - there may have been some performance optimizations, not to mention additional/enhanced features. I assumed this is hosted on a dedicated server.
I'm pretty sure they know these things, just they're too busy.
j0sh said:
2. An official IRC channel. I just double-checked before pressing "Post". I didn't realise the channel on austnet.org was the official channel.
Just to clarify, we were kind of dispwned a little while ago, so as it stands there's no "official" IRC channel. Feel free to drop by though all the same. ;)
j0sh said:
PS: What are the specs of the webserver? Why is an Australian board being hosted on a US webserver? :eek:
TI-1795SV Minidesk Calculator; TI-1795SV Minidesk Calculator Display Digits--8 Display Digit Height--11.5mm Angled Display Memory--3 Key +/- Switch Key Size--4.1w x 5.4d Battery/Solar Power--Dual Portable LCD calculator for either handheld or desktop use. Comes with operating batteries. Replacement batteries (DUR-D389/390B) sold separately.

Product FeaturesMain Features
Manufacturer Sku: TI-1795SV
Brand: Texas Instruments
Model: TI-1795SV
Product Type: Basic
Color: Silver
Power Features
Primary Power Source: Solar, Battery/Solar

HSC

politik said:
My sentiments exactly, I cry myself to sleep over our expulsion from paradise every single night. I've come to accept it though, as much as you can with that sort of thing.

Sure it still hurts sometimes, but everyone's got problems, you know how it is.

Retrovertigo

HSC
N/A

jhakka said:
But might be a bit difficult to implement with the "click before 'Quick Reply'" thing we have going.
Why exactly do we have that feature anyway?

I'd also like to suggest a bit of pruning. I hate reading a thread and then realising that someone's bumped it from 2005.

sabrinalc

HSC

heya
i was lookin 4 a Abs studies (prelim) thing... link folder thing ..u know
im new so mayb thats y i couldnt finde it... is there one???

Peatie0

HSC

search boxes for resource area

iroam

HSC
N/A
Re: What would you like to see on BOS 2008?

use should affiliate with social networking programes =]

eg.
- Bebo
- Myspace
- facebook

inoticed alot of ppl still dont know about bos an they should an theres alot of young ppl yr10s/11s an 12s on em ayy i duno . jus a sugestion =]

mixt

HSC
suggestion for posts

could we implement a 'score' system for posts ala slashdot or youtube style where good insightful/interesting/informative comments are modded up by general public

P

pLuvia

Re: suggestion for posts

That kind of thing had already implemented before, and because of the abuse of it it was scrapped

mixt

HSC

I made a suggestion[http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=185367] for a modding system to exist with posts a la scores for comments in slashdot or youtube. Apparently this was once implemented, and did work technically, but failed on the social forum "because of abuse". Can anyone elaborate on this i.e what happened?

I think its a good idea, it is an invaluable way to sort out the 'gems' i.e. insightful/informative/interesting posts from the background noise ('lol's and mindless offtopic jokes). Whats the disadvantage.. or is it that this is too ambitious for an immature forum like BoS?

P

pLuvia

Re: suggestion for posts

This kind of system was called the "Reputation" system
Originally it was to reward those who were helpful and productive and it still did happen for a bit, but then it got to the stage where it was for 'popularity' purposes. And people just kept repping other people/friends just for the sake of getting their rep points high, and eventually the admins/mods felt it had no more use other than to get members' rep points high and so it was removed from the site

That's basically the gist of what happened

Other methods I think have been suggested before where the moderators rep helpful members but I think that was disregarded as well

TBK11

HSC

How about addin a Shoutbox????

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

iroam said:
use should affiliate with social networking programes =]

eg.
- Bebo
- Myspace
- facebook

inoticed alot of ppl still dont know about bos an they should an theres alot of young ppl yr10s/11s an 12s on em ayy i duno . jus a sugestion =]
Can we implement compulsory spell/grammar checks?

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC

Prizes for outstanding contribution to BOS community?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

I dont know if this has been mentioned, but could it be possible to provide more support for university students?

I am thinking in terms of resources such as submitted course summaries and papers people are willing to upload. This isnt really to help me seen as i finish uni in a few weeks, but if basically what you have the HSC like summaries of each course, maybe you could split up areas like faculty>school and then people submit stuff into that

e.g say i upload my course summary for advanced cognition [ a psych course] to find it you would go science> psychology> list of documents, one of which is mine

Of course plagarism isnt supported by anyone and if this was available whilst i was studying those courses i would never risk submitting an assignment i downloaded, but it would have been good to see how someone else tackled a problem.

just an idea

Zingy

HSC

A religion section.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Serius said:
I dont know if this has been mentioned, but could it be possible to provide more support for university students?

I am thinking in terms of resources such as submitted course summaries and papers people are willing to upload. This isnt really to help me seen as i finish uni in a few weeks, but if basically what you have the HSC like summaries of each course, maybe you could split up areas like faculty>school and then people submit stuff into that

e.g say i upload my course summary for advanced cognition [ a psych course] to find it you would go science> psychology> list of documents, one of which is mine

Of course plagarism isnt supported by anyone and if this was available whilst i was studying those courses i would never risk submitting an assignment i downloaded, but it would have been good to see how someone else tackled a problem.

just an idea

Won't work, too many variables.

J

joseph777

sebburfitt said:
how bout you all stop fucking complaining and just study

hear hear! i competely agree with sebastian burfitt who goes to redfield college in dural, sydney. :hammer: just go study :read: !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)