• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what was your first day at uni like?? (1 Viewer)

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
Any of you noobs going MQU next year and doing finance and accounting? I might be your mentor, excited?

Lou283

HSC
Your first day will be fine. Not sure about other universities but at Macquarie most tutorials don't start until week 2 anyway so you are unlikely to be rushing around trying to find classes instead you are likely just to be going in for one lecture and then that's it. You can take the rest of the time to wander around and find where your classes will be.

I didn't know anyone at my uni so for anyone in that position the important thing is just to get out your compfrt zone and start talking to people. Just sit next to someone you think you would get on with and ask them what they are studying etc.

Like Ritz1024 I'm also a mentor at MQU next year so if you are doing marketing you might end up with me =)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Your first day will be fine. Not sure about other universities but at Macquarie most tutorials don't start until week 2 anyway so you are unlikely to be rushing around trying to find classes instead you are likely just to be going in for one lecture and then that's it. You can take the rest of the time to wander around and find where your classes will be.

I didn't know anyone at my uni so for anyone in that position the important thing is just to get out your compfrt zone and start talking to people. Just sit next to someone you think you would get on with and ask them what they are studying etc.

Like Ritz1024 I'm also a mentor at MQU next year so if you are doing marketing you might end up with me =)
Just keep in mind that language tutes/seminars DO run in the first week. It looks likely that i'll be a team leader next year so i might end up training you guys as mentors, be very afraid.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Talk... to.. people?

See, this is why I had the chance to go to a selective school in year 7 and turned it down - because I'd have to talk to people and make new friends... and now I'm forced to do it. <_<

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Just do it. No one gives a shit about who you were in high school. If you want to become more social, do it now.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Do you have an anxiety disorder or something, or are you just really shy?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, I don't have a disorder - I'm just very shy.

I'd like to become social, but that makes me do things outside of my comfort zone. I'm absolutely fine if people come up to me and talk - it's just that if I have to talk to them... it gets very awkward and I have no idea how to start the conversation.

Though, if they become my friend - I guarantee you I'll be the up there among the most talkative.

A weird and wonderful world we live in.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Hahahaha... "hot chicks"...

My first day of uni was not too bad. It was computing ^^.

I had at least 7 people from my high school doing the same course as me so I didn't really make new friends in semester one. I actually did make a good friend in S1 though. But the probability of us actually becoming friends/meeting was quite slim, if you'd ask me ^^.

I made more "friends" in Semester 2. I guess it was a parallel between quality and quantity :p

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It took me about a year and a bit to find a really solid group of good mates, all of whom do different degrees than me. In first semester you make a ton of 'half-friends' in your lectures and tutes who you don't actually like that much, but everyone is just so desperate not to be a loner they make friends with anyone.

These people eventually drop away with each semester and you start making actual friends when you start to get more confident and involved in the uni lifestyle (which for me involves mostly Ubar and maybe a couple of other academic/administrative programs).

But yeah, don't be so worried about making friends. Chances are everyone is just as shit scared as you, some people are just better at hiding it than others.

MysteryGenius

HSC
It took me about a year and a bit to find a really solid group of good mates, all of whom do different degrees than me. In first semester you make a ton of 'half-friends' in your lectures and tutes who you don't actually like that much, but everyone is just so desperate not to be a loner they make friends with anyone.

These people eventually drop away with each semester and you start making actual friends when you start to get more confident and involved in the uni lifestyle (which for me involves mostly Ubar and maybe a couple of other academic/administrative programs).

But yeah, don't be so worried about making friends. Chances are everyone is just as shit scared as you, some people are just better at hiding it than others.
yeah i just finished my first year and i'm still not comfortable with the group of friends i'm with =/ ... i'll be sure to change that next year though

but that's the good thing about going to uni... you can be whoever you want
you can change your whole personality if you really wanted to

Lou283

HSC
yeah i just finished my first year and i'm still not comfortable with the group of friends i'm with =/ ... i'll be sure to change that next year though

but that's the good thing about going to uni... you can be whoever you want
you can change your whole personality if you really wanted to
That's right - if you don't like the people you are with don't worry. Chances are after that semester you will never even see them again if you don't make the effort. I have started a conversation with atleast 1 person in every class I have gone into and out of all those classes I have 2 people I would call friends. Two people completely different to one another and doing different degrees from me and each other.

Don't be worried about feeling shy - everyone does. Just sit next to someone, catch their eye and say "Hi, My name is xxx" and if they are a normal human they will respond. Then just ask them what degree they are doing, their major, which high school they went too. If the worst you are worried about doing is screwing up, making a fool of yourself etc well it doesn't matter. The week after sit next to someone else and try again =)

Lou283

HSC
I can't talk for other universities but at MQ you meet a mentor the week before you start university and they show you around campus in groups of like 10. You can ask them questions and they can act as a go to person for the first week or so of university if you have any questions. It's a student run program here at MQ - not sure about other uni's.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
It's not too hard to meet new people. I changed schools in at the start of year 12. I was shit scared, I had no confidence, and a shocking ability to talk.
It was actually pretty easy. You just have to make eye contact, and actually talk back to someone who's making an effort to talk to you.
My confidence has reversed now. So it's all good.
Also remember that you're gonna be in a room of people who are studying in a similar area to you, which shows that you must have something in common.

banadriley

HSC
Still remember my first day of uni I lived on campus. The dorm allowed parents told drop us off on a sunday between 12pm and 4pm and then to all the parents to get lost after a BBQ. The Residential Assistants took us into town to the pub, got blind drunk themselves and left us all wondering which bus to catch home. (nearly every first year was sober) I got back to my room looked out the window to see two people having sex on the lawn.

First day of courses was a little different

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)