What undergrad course should I do to get into post-grad Dentistry? (1 Viewer)

procyonrider

HSC
I am currently in yr 12 and interested in doing post grad dentistry in the future, however I'm not exactly sure of what to do for an undergraduate course.
would doing a bachelor of science (advanced) help? or medical science? or anything else?
help? :uhoh:

judd_s13

HSC
If you're looking for a course that will help you build a strong base, so that once you do get into dentistry you know a lot of things, i'd suggest the Oral Health course that usyd offers. Have a look on their site: http://sydney.edu.au/dentistry/student/boh.php
Would this really be a good option as an undergraduate, I mean isn't it harder to get the required GPA > 5.5 due to the minimum intake of students? Does it have the human biology prerequisite subject for DMD? What if you don't get into DMD, is it a good degree to fall back on? Would a BCom be a safer option? I myself am thinking about doing BOH for entry into post grad dentistry, I finished my HSC in 2011 with an ATAR of 98.75. I know I need to sit the PQA and MMI but how much do they actually look at Atar? Thank you. (Btw I'm not bagging out BOH I'm just curious is all, because even I'm considering it)

hkx92

HSC
N/A
ATAR/PQA/inteview are weighted equally.

If you really want to do it, there's a good chance you will get in.

Generally, there is no scaling to a bell curve in BOH. What stresses people out are the clinical marks, where the tutor scores you out of 10 for each patient that you see.. and it is impossible to get a 10 when you are doing a filling or whatever for the first time.. 6 or 7 / if you are lucky. Confident people tend to get higher marks as some of it is the impression you give the tutor.

In terms of a fall back degree, there is an over supply of BOH graduates at the moment as newcastle graduates more than 50 people a year and as its a new degree not many people are retiring. The Job market is very tight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)