What UAI do I need to get into Medicine? (1 Viewer)

Hurri

HSC
funnybunny said:
did u try out for UQ?....if so wat was ur umat..i think u need like >185ish 2 get i with OP1 or equivalent
185 was a first round offer. I know a mate who got a late round offer with a UMAT of 179. So yea, shouldn't of been that hard.

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
lol umat was shit... but interview was apparently "better than a uai of 99.7"
Shows you how important UMAT is

Yea, i applied for uq and everywhere else, but didnt manage anything :/

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
The short answer for Med at UNSW is as high as possible. I've known people who received 100 UAI and didn't get in.

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
err they woulda got into unimelb, wouldnt they? or usyd

pravski

HSC
KFunk said:
Correct me if anyone thinks differently but in order to have a good chance of getting in (speaking UNSW specific here) you'd be wanting to get a UAI of 99+, a scaled UMAT aggregate of 183+ and perform well in the interview. Don't underestimate the weighting of the interview, this year I've heard that it knocked out many people with marks like UAI:99.8 and UMAT:184.
I got UMAT 164 and got in with 99.85. Just out of curiosity is there anyone else out there that got a umat less than 165 and got UNSW?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
yeh a girl on mso got ~140 umat, WAM of ~90, and really high marks in the foundation year, and she made it.

Lileane

HSC
Wow you can actually find out how you went in the interview. I'm v. tempted but it'd be pretty freaky if it was bad. What was the motivation for you guys to call up? I think I might just keep floating in my bubble and telling myself that I went great...lol.

I got in with a UMAT of 187.

joe_rulez37

HSC
Just wondering... it seems as though getting into Med in UNSW is a lot harder than getting into other unis. What sort of marks and UMAT would you need to make it into an average or below average uni?

My marks are probably going to be somewhere along the lines of UAI 98.5. What UMAT would I need to make it into an average UNI in med?

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
What do you mean by an "average" uni, UNSW is by no means the best medical school in the country.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
OMG R U SRS?!?!?!?!

BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS THE AWESOMEST UNI IN THE WORLD FOR MEDICINE!!!!

i was told it has a far superior Medical Degree to every other school cos its in NSW

joe_rulez37

HSC
Antler said:
What do you mean by an "average" uni, UNSW is by no means the best medical school in the country.
I meant that getting into UNSW is extremely hard because most people tend to want to go there because
1) The elitism
2) It's located in the city, so I guess it's convinient for people

By average uni, I meant a uni which is not as competitive to get into as, for example UNSW or Melbourne University.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
joe_rulez37 said:
I meant that getting into UNSW is extremely hard because most people tend to want to go there because
1) The elitism
2) It's located in the city, so I guess it's convinient for people

By average uni, I meant a uni which is not as competitive to get into as, for example UNSW or Melbourne University.
wow joe, talk about poor word choice

the competition is pretty high for lots of med schools around australia. Wait, no. ALL med schools have steep competition.
UNSW has like 3000 applicants for 165-170 hecs places. Newcastle has 2000 applications for like 88places. All other schools have pretty steep competition too.
Dont say that the quality of applications is higher because most are pretty much the same as many students apply to every school

Saying that a uni is AVERAGE because of how NOT popular it is to the Sydney crowd is incorrect. All uni's have a strength, be it Commcerce, science or engineering or whatever. Med is just such an expensive course to run and is constantly changing, you just can't go 'duh, unsw is better because my friend of my friend who's really smart and got 100uai and and and got gold medal in the RTASO phys/chem and yadda yadda got into unsw.NOOOo
You could say unsw is harder than other unis in that you pretty much need 99+ to be on the safe side, even then there's no guarantees.

You should be looking at the quality of the course content, not the 'competition'. It's not about 'i want to get into ANY med school omg' it's more about 'i want to go to the uni with the med school that suits me'
ok that was gay, but my point is...

i have no point, but your statement annoyed me

joe_rulez37

HSC
^^ That did not help at all. What I meant it, obviously there must be some Universities where it's MORE competitive to get into. Just to put it into perspective, for example it's obviously more difficult to get into James Ruse than Sefton High School.

All I want to know is whether this applies for Universities which have Medicine. Previous BOS posts give the impression that UNSW, Newcastle and Melbourne are the most competitive and offer the best courses. They're the Elite.

BobJ you said "It's not about 'i want to get into ANY med school omg''. Actually that's exactly what it's about. I know I can't get 99+ UAI, that is why I'm asking which Universities I can have the potential to get into.

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
Mate, you can't say which uni is harder to get int..coz it relli depends on what you are good at interview, uai or UMAT. Melb usually looks for high uai marks/UMAT and they have no selection interview. UNSW, for this year i think i heard that the average uai was over 99, but there are people with less than 99 getting in, obviously they did well in umat and interview. I think it is Adelaide or Newcastle or (sum uni), which you only require >90 to get selected, and then they only look at ur UMAT and interview marks.

I suggest you research each medical school...and there's more info on www.medstudentsonline.com

huh,...more most med students it's more like..."i want to get into ANY med school ":)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Ruse Vs Sefton
goin to ruse gives u a higher UAI grad cohort..
goin to sefton does not restrict you from gettin higher than ruse students..
both will have low UAI students too..

u cant realli make a HSC league table for medical schools lik the telegraph or smh do..
u could try reading the good unis guide.. about the courses.. but UNSW's grads ranks the old course really poorly... and the sample is inadequate to form good judgements.

goin to med school..grads come out at the same standard supposedly.. according to AMC guidelines... NSW selective schools dun have the same level of uniformity

Adelaide is atm 90
but I hear this will change to weigh UAI and UMAT higher..due to new management :(.

each uni has its own pros and cons.. newcastle imho has some of the hotties ;)... same cant be said about UMelb and UNSW

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
*Hahaha...

Sweetheart, you might find it a bit difficult to make friends here if you keep trying to rank med schools. For one thing, everyone supposedly comes out with the same degree. Each school has its own pros and cons, and their own characteristic emphases on clinical, or tropical med, or PBL, or hand-holding, or whatever, but essentially the end-product is the same - a nub intern ready to be unleashed into the hospital system. It's different to comparing high schools because it's not really about achieving a number, whether it be two-digit or three-digit. A degree is a degree.

The second thing is that it's bad form to unjustifiably insult someone else's educational institution. When was the last time you asked your doctor and refused treatment because he or she had graduated out of Adelaide? Saying that UNSW, Melbourne and UNCLE "offer the best courses" is simply not true. And I'd say that any med student here not from these "elite" schools is right to take offence because that statement can so easily be interpreted as patronising and rude.

Competition is stiff for all med schools.
Having said that, a sub-99 UAI does NOT bar you from UNSW. Why is this so hard to understand? Yes, most students do get 99+. But many DON'T. If you're worried you won't get in, apply at other schools as well, or find a backup plan. There's not much you can do apart from trying your best.

---

BTW Alvin. *Ahem*
each uni has its own pros and cons.. newcastle imho has some of the hotties ... same cant be said about UMelb and UNSW

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
SOME not ALL

ure a jewel in the rough ;)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+ said:
When was the last time you asked your doctor and refused treatment because he or she had graduated out of Adelaide?
That said ... u know im a special breed with a good touch :)
altho.. i know a couple of Dr Patels that get patients that will not consent.. its laughable..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)