what type of work did everyone do? (1 Viewer)

what type of major work did you do?

• short story/novella

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • poetry

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • script

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • multimedia

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • critical response

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • other (sorry, can't think of the rest)

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

Huy

HSC
N/A
Gloria - with your example, yes, I would call that poetry.

I know about sonnets and all the other 'forms' of poetry, but you were talking about freeverse and calling it 'poetry' -- which is what my Major Work was/is. :)

Originally posted by Daemontreu
Can we post word documents here? If so, then I'll post my ballad for you all to scoff at. :D
Yes, you can.

All of my poems are short poems, with a minimum of 2-3 A4 pages, to a maximum of 4, 5 or even 6 pages.

My entire MW was about 30 pages tops, including RS. :)
The journal is another matter, hundreds of pages long.

Eh. Does it work? :confused:
Yes. :)

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
It works? Excellent. Now you may all mock me. :p

Did you know (well, of course you didn't, but that's beside the point), I have not read a single other persons MW - oh, other than Ash's great poetry. The people in my class were amazingly secretive...

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy

The journal is another matter, hundreds of pages long.

Really? Sh*t. Mine's so unbelievably short it isn't funny. It has my research on ballads and history etc. My drafts. And that's about it. I only changed my concept once, very early on, and I barely had to edit at all...:(

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
yeah, my journal is quite slim, particularly in comparison to those people in my class that began (and finished) a second journal.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Someone in our class had three journals. But they were those A4 size blank-page journals. You know the ones I mean, with the black plastic cover - like the art process diary...

narrator

HSC
N/A
It works? Excellent. Now you may all mock me. :p

Did you know (well, of course you didn't, but that's beside the point), I have not read a single other persons MW - oh, other than Ash's great poetry. The people in my class were amazingly secretive...
our class was the complete opposite, we only had 3 people and were always talking about our work to each other, reading through drafts and making notes.

i think this helped all of us develop all of our works.

completing a major work is a personal experience that very few people i think could understand, we were all able to empathise with each other

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Well, I guess we just weren't the caring and sharing type. On the day it was due, I did read half of one person's - well... not really HALF. More like, 2 pages. Heh. :)

I can imagine how it would be good - the feedback and all. But I'd also have to say it's lucky my friend and I didn't share (although she did end up dropping). When we share ideas and personal opinions we always end up with something very similar. It's just the way we work.

Was anyone touchy in your class about criticism?

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
weird that you mention 'anyone touchy about criticism' -- i really think we have every right to be 'touchy' about criticism, particularly if it's not constructive and based more on personal opinion than anything else. reactions to my major work were mixed, but NOBODY gave me criticism that was really constructive, and it pisses me off.

narrator

HSC
N/A
no, we all were friends beforehand and got to know how each other worked very well, all the criticism was constructive and nobody was touchy.

i think, at least in part, it was because we all knew what each other was going through, then we started with the in-jokes about each others works, we'd be talking to people and make a remark that referred specifically to one of our works and laugh, but everyone else would just stand there.

AsyLum knows what i'm talking about, rocks can be so much fun

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Well, I presumed that only constructive criticism would be given in an environment like - well, an environment where you're obviously looking for ways to better and improve your writing... All I got from people was constructive. *shrug* I got some really good suggestions.

And I can see how criticism without anything to back it up would be annoying - that would piss me off too. I mean, what are you meant to do with a "I don't like this sentence just because."? Not very helpful or supportive.

Good thing about the criticism everyone gave me? Always backed up with a "I really like this part because..." etc. Stuff like that always helps soothe the ego. :D

Heh. Yes. Ext II in-jokes are fun. Ours mostly didn't relate to our works, but rather all the crap we came up with in our lessons (which we treated as a ridiculous bludge) and our teacher's stupidity. No wait, stupidity is too harsh. Sometime ignorance?

Last edited:

narrator

HSC
N/A

Good thing about the criticism everyone gave me? Always backed up with a "I really like this part because..." etc. Stuff like that always helps soothe the ego. :D
unless you know they're lying, in which case, you say the same thing back to them except it's more like, "i like this part because it means there's one less to read. Sweet death would come in handy right about now."

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by narrator
unless you know they're lying, in which case, you say the same thing back to them except it's more like, "i like this part because it means there's one less to read. Sweet death would come in handy right about now."
:rofl: Nice. I used that in an essay once. We had to write about how the ending made the novel good. I said that the ending made the novel good simple by virtue of its ceasing to be read ending the pain of the reader. You're version is much more elegant however. *applauds* :hammer:

Besides which, teachers usually are more diplomatic when they lie. Although, I really hated my english teacher. Still do. She took me out of class to talk to me about "attitude". Sheesh. All I'd done was ask her how her day had been. So mostly the criticism I got was from my Physics teacher - she loves ballads.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by narrator
no, we all were friends beforehand and got to know how each other worked very well, all the criticism was constructive and nobody was touchy.

i think, at least in part, it was because we all knew what each other was going through, then we started with the in-jokes about each others works, we'd be talking to people and make a remark that referred specifically to one of our works and laugh, but everyone else would just stand there.

AsyLum knows what i'm talking about, rocks can be so much fun

Oh the rock muahahhah :D

should post that aye :D

Enjoi reading upon the machinations of my thoughts :|

Last edited:

narrator

HSC
N/A
i would encourage everyone to read AsyLum's rock story (as in the object, not the music genre)

you'll all enjoy it

Last edited:

rosie rose

hey gang
i did a "suite" (oohoo, getting into the sophisticated language now! totally know
where you're at, gregor- how good does it feel to sound all superior and
use the englishy words!) of short stories connected by an extended poem
it's excellent seeing that not everyone did short stories! felt like one of the bunch-
not good for feeling of uniqueness!
rr.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Eh, yes a lot of people did end up doing short story didn't they "rosie rose"? :D Half of the people who have voted so far...? *squints at results at top of page*

Wonder why so many people pick it.

Saul

*ss
HSC
its easier to be creative when you don't have to worry about rhythm or camera quality, and is jus plain easier than critical response and website design etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)