what type of questions for viva (essay) ? (1 Viewer)

phillipo

HSC
I'm scared shitless for my viva voice in two weeks and I have to be the worst public speaker at school...can anyone give me an idea of what tpe fo questions they have been asked or how they are preparing? I'm doing an essay on an Australian author from the 20s...just to give some context.

thanks in advance!!

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
ummm dunno abt u but we got a list of questions that we might b asked..

the first question will be:

What progress have you made towards completing your Major Work to this point in time?

Other questions will be drawn from this list:
- what is the link between your MW and the ADv or Ext 1 work you have done?
- have u cahnged the concept or form of the original proposal and why?
- what research have u undertaken and how has it informed or shaped your MW?
- how have u used your journal? how helpful has it been in amking progress with ur MW?
- how has the nature of the intended audience and purpose influenced the language, form and features of ur MW?
- what problems or difficultires have u encountered and how have u dealt with them?
- who have you talked to about your MW and what impact has this had on your MW?
What are the two most important things you have learnt from your experience in this course?

i hope that helps! good luck with ur viva! :)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Well I'm not being asked questions by the teachers, we just have to do a presentation. The teachers gave us criteria, which were:

Explain what you have set out to achieve in your Major Work. (4 marks)
To what extent has your project changed from this original concept? Account for this change. (4 marks)
Take us through the processes of your research and investigation. (4 marks)
How has your research and investigation impacted upon your Major Work? (4 marks)
Take us through a sample of your actual Major Work and explain what you are trying to achieve in this sample and how it includes your English course. (4 marks)

Hope it helps

ellipsis

HSC
Hmm, i've pasted the info I have below. What I did when I went in I had thought about answers to the questions, and kinda rough plan for the speech.
But when I did it, they only asked a few questions from the list , and made the rest up according to stuff in the speech - Like 'when you said this, what did you mean regarding that' and 'elaborate on such and such' etc. They really want to test that you know your major work well, so you can't do that much prep for the questions except knowing it.
Good luck ! Its so great when its over, so look forward to that. :)

MARKING CRITERIA FOR 'A' RANGE
Refined, critical analysis of the ongoing development of a work that will have a coherence of meaning, value and form.
Formulates insights and concepts based on extensive, detailed, reflective investigation and research.
A highly sophisticated understanding of the importance of manipulating language to shape meaning and thereby engage audience
Sophisticated control of expression in both the presentation and interview components of the task.

Why did you choose this medium ? I
Justify your decision to choose this topic.
What connection does your work to have to either the Advanced or Extension Course ?
In one sentence, explain what your work is about.
What have been difficulties in your process ? How have you overcome them ?
Why would your work appeal to your intended audience ? Because the intended
What do you hope to have achieved by the end of the year ?
What do you hope to have gained from this experience ?
Are you happy with the way your major work is developing ?
Has your major work changed in any way from your initial conception as outlined in your proposal ? Y If so , why ?
What do you think you have learnt from your major work experience ?
What benefits do you see in the journal process ?
What are your immediate goals at this stage of your major work ?
Describe two significant stimulus material recorded in your journal and the impact this has had on your major work. T
Anything else to say ??? --- How interesting I

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
this is the sheet we have, in regards to our viva voce

questions for discussion

a) stimulus and concept
1. explain the central concept of ur piece. what is ur thesis? why is this important to you?
2. talk about the inital stimulus 4 ur piece. where do u think the idea came from? how did it lead to the concept u are working on?
3. since then there would have been other stimuli that helped u 2 refine and define ur piece.

present TWO pieces of stimulus material that u have used and explain how each one has affected ur work.

4. how would u describe ur piece in terms of
* genre
*tone
*style?
why do u think these choices are most appropriate 4 ur concept?

b) process
1. explain as much as u can about ur composing process. for eg, do u formulate ideas? how do u assist ur imagination? how do u select ur material?
2. explain as much as u can about ur composing proceedures. for eg, when and in what conditions are u most comfortable working? how do u revise and edit? what is ur procedure with researching information? what use do u make of audiences? what do u do when u encounter a problem or difficulty?
3. have u made use of mentors, experts, other people or sources? how?
4. u were required 2 ask audience/reader feedback recently from about 5 people for ur first draft.

what do u think u learned from this? do u think u will modify any of ur work or methods as a result?

c) research
1. what links do u see between this writing activity and ur other english studies?
2. what aspects of writing interest u most?
3. select a selection of ur draft piece that u r happy with at this stage (make it a reasonably substantial piece - say, a piece of action or a complete even of 1 to 2 pgs in length.)
* read it out to us
* what are the strengths u see in this piece that make u regard it as a satisfying piece of work

d) finally -
what do u think u have learned about urself as a writer?

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
just remebered theres also a marking criteria with it which i havent posted but if u want it, just say. all together its /50

phillipo

HSC
thankyou guys SOO SOO much! I was really lost before but at least I have an idea what I'm in for (though I have a feeling the ext 1 oral will be worse...our teacher refuses to hear our argument that High Noon just is NOT a tragedy)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
but high noon is a revenge tragedy. don't try to think of the text in terms of the usual antagonist/protagonist. Because if you have a look, Miller doesnt coem into the movie utnil the very end. And the scenes in which his boys are in are inactive. all they do is stand around, smoke and admire the sky.

The antagonist is not Miller, it is the society. This text is all abt social cowardice and the betrayl of one's own beleifs.

phillipo

HSC
hey, thanks. I'd never thought of it that way. (my class will be happy to hear that, we've been asking our teacher why it's tragedy for 2 weeks and all she says is "well, arguably it isn't")

:)

pri

HSC
N/A
snow falling on cedars is not crime!!!!

(since we are bitching about ext 1 texts, i thought Im ad my 3 cents)

phillipo

HSC
OMG...we just found out (continuing the ext. 1 bitch) that our teacher is teaching us from a STUDY GUIDE! she has a doctorate for shits sake and she cna't figure out revenge tragedy for herself? no wonder we're all going crap! she copy and pasted our assignment from Sparknotes for the Crucible and just rewrote the chapters on Medea, High Noon and Revenger's from a study guide my friend just bought hoping it would help us!

I so hope we can get her fired for plagiarism or something...our school is really strict on stuff like that.

But seriously, that much money each year to be taught a STUDY GUIDE!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)