what type of english should i pick? (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey just to let you know I'm not doing very well at english and im not very good?
like up to year 8 i did well at english, but in year 9 i really performed badly.... the school avg. was 72% but i got 64% in my final mark

So should I pick English Ext 1 or English Advanced for Year 11 & 12?

Because I heard that you should do at least English Ext 1 as, English is a compulsory subject and thats why it counts for the majority of your marks and scales your marks up? Is That true at all?

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
Do u still like English? I hate english so i would never do ext

HSC
the question is not about liking it.... you have to do english anyway cause its compulsory... but i am not doing too well in english.... so should i do ext 1 english or advanced?

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Well what you do is you work on your school certificate work and then when it's term 2 time..you start considering subject selections.

Because you won't exactly know where your strengths lie until a few more months of schooling........

so focus on yr 10..
pay attention to the subjects you feel good at

pick the subjects you are good at, like and will enjoy.

Ask teachers if they think you should take a certain course for yrs 11 and 12.

and have a good day.

dux&src

HSC
the question is not about liking it.... you have to do english anyway cause its compulsory... but i am not doing too well in english.... so should i do ext 1 english or advanced?
If you aren't doing well, then why not standard?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cause i have my subject selection for year 11 & 12 this year

But its the beginning of the year ffs, you don't have clear ideas about your strengths and weakness's cuz you have had no reason to push yourself up until this point.

HSC
cause i can cope with standard thats just too pathetic and low... i mean im getting decent marks and im sure i'll be able to improve for advanced but just not sure about taking ext 1 english

HSC
But its the beginning of the year ffs, you don't have clear ideas about your strengths and weakness's cuz you have had no reason to push yourself up until this point.
no need to swear jeez.... only a blog dont need to use fowl language

dux&src

HSC
may-cat is right :D

listen to her:D

you shouldn't be worrying about subject selections till term 3 at the earliest ..

LordPc

HSC
pick extension english. its very different (just one single focus throughout the year) and usually a much more enjoyable subject compared to advanced english

if nothing else, give extension a try, cause you can always drop it

dinopoke

HSC
pick extension english. its very different (just one single focus throughout the year) and usually a much more enjoyable subject compared to advanced english

if nothing else, give extension a try, cause you can always drop it
Quoted for emphasis.

I found Ex1 English to be a more enjoyable subject. It focuses of the wider picture and essentially asks you what you make of it while Advanced English is standard analysis and writing. When you are in Year 11, try it out. If you don't like it, you can drop. Also it's worth noting that I got better marks in Ext 1 as compared to Advanced. ;)

Anyway, that stuff is not important to you now. Just focus on you studies and you'll find what you're capable of doing.

EDIT: You seem a bit confused about Ex 1 and Advanced. While it is compulsory to do either Advanced or Standard as they are seen to be the 'core' of your English, the Extension 1 course is a different subject altogether which serves to complement English Advanced. That is, if you choose to do Ext 1 (1 Unit) you have to do Advanced as well (2 Unit) and you have 3 Units overall. Or alternatively you can just do Advanced for just 2 units. Hope what I said made sense.

Last edited:
HSC
Quoted for emphasis.

I found Ex1 English to be a more enjoyable subject. It focuses of the wider picture and essentially asks you what you make of it while Advanced English is standard analysis and writing. When you are in Year 11, try it out. If you don't like it, you can drop. Also it's worth noting that I got better marks in Ext 1 as compared to Advanced. ;)

Anyway, that stuff is not important to you now. Just focus on you studies and you'll find what you're capable of doing.

EDIT: You seem a bit confused about Ex 1 and Advanced. While it is compulsory to do either Advanced or Standard as they are seen to be the 'core' of your English, the Extension 1 course is a different subject altogether which serves to complement English Advanced. That is, if you choose to do Ext 1 (1 Unit) you have to do Advanced as well (2 Unit) and you have 3 Units overall. Or alternatively you can just do Advanced for just 2 units. Hope what I said made sense.
hey really thanks for your advice i think it was very very clever and well thought out thanks ALOT :)

0hNivlek

HSC
Extension English is by far my easiest and bludgiest subject i have. Crime writing is pretty easy and interesting but i prefer studying the gothic genre for the prelims.

Advanced English on the other hand is much harder and boring imo. But it's compulsary if you wish to pick up Extension english!

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
It's all about whether you enjoy English. Do you?

I regret not having done English Ext, if only for prelim. I really started enjoying English in year 11, and it would have been nice to have the option to do English Ext in year 12.

If your still undecided by the end of this thread, then I would suggest just doing English Ext, and dropping it if you find that you don't like it. Better safe than sorry, eh?

HSC
hey yeh i reckon what you are saying everybody is saying
a very clever thought for all of you people and thank you very much everyonee for their advice and time and the help they provided me

studentcheese

HSC
See if your marks improve. For now, focus on improvement more than anything else.

BabyK

HSC
hey just to let you know I'm not doing very well at english and im not very good?
like up to year 8 i did well at english, but in year 9 i really performed badly.... the school avg. was 72% but i got 64% in my final mark

So should I pick English Ext 1 or English Advanced for Year 11 & 12?

Because I heard that you should do at least English Ext 1 as, English is a compulsory subject and thats why it counts for the majority of your marks and scales your marks up? Is That true at all?
English as any other subject only scales marks up if your marks are good. I saw classmates in my year of the HSC, who got a band 6 in standard, and scored a much higher UAI than those who got a band 4 in advanced english. My piece of advice is if you are not good at english DO NOT do a adv, or xtn simply because you think it will scale you up, as if your marks are not good, it wont. Maybe if youre good at maths, do xtn or 2U in that and do standard as youll probably ace that.
However I must warn you that Advanced is very hard (xtn even more), BUT very useful later on as law degrees and some other highly qualified ones, require ADVANCED or higher. most other ones require any 2 units of english, so its really depending on what you want to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)