What to upgrade? (1 Viewer)

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Hi

Which pieces of hardware need to be upgraded/replaced in these situations?

1. Applications like Photoshop take ages to load
2. Games are laggy so you need to lower the resolution or detail level.
3. It takes a very long time (20mins) to copy the contents of a full CD onto your comp though the cdrom is 52x.

thanks

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
motherboard, proseccor, hard drive, graphics card

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by deyveed
Hi

Which pieces of hardware need to be upgraded/replaced in these situations?

3. It takes a very long time (20mins) to copy the contents of a full CD onto your comp though the cdrom is 52x.

thanks
1) CPU, RAM, and a faster HDD
2)Video Card + CPU + RAM
3)Doesn't matter how fast you have your drive, it's normal the best method to copy the contents of a CD is ripping the CD as an image.

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Really?
I have a P3 600mhz
256mb ram
TNT2 vid
7200 80gb HD

But upgrading which part in each of them would make the most difference?

Also, the ripping or copy of the contents of a cd takes the same time on my comp.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Really?
I have a P3 600mhz
256mb ram
TNT2 vid
7200 80gb HD

But upgrading which part in each of them would make the most difference?

Also, the ripping or copy of the contents of a cd takes the same time on my comp.
If you find the CD copying slow, make sure you have DMA turned on. Head over to your Device Manager -> IDE/ATAPI Controllers (or similar), select the channel your drives are on, click on the Advanced tab and check you have "DMA if avaliable". Notice a 52x CD ROM never reach suchs speeds for sustained amount of times. This can be due to the discs spin up time, and the way the drive reads the disc (CAV or CLV). Some drives have 52x disabled and you might have to do something to enable 52x reading. Check your manual. 52x is almost at the physical limit of CDs.

But as for upgrading....by games of today's standards you would have to upgrade almost everything. But for just Photoshop, more RAM for starters, and CPU if its in your price range.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
ram, ram and more ram!

MuahUAHu and a video card

- get all of these on ebay. much cheaper.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
lotsa ram.. and if ur gonna up ur cpu, up ur mobo too to make it worth ur while.

i have that vid card! well had... i got a new one coz that one shite me off coz it was a load of old crap.

ebay is v.good... almost *drool* worthy at times in its cheapness

Winston

HSC
From the looks of things, 512 MB SD RAM, and a new Video Card, should be sufficient for your needs.

raspb3rry

♥♥♥
HSC

lol that is so much like my comp..I should follow these advices and upgrade asap~

is a roflcopter
HSC
it depends on how picky you are for load times

my 400 with 128 ram loads photoshop in 20 seconds?

but you definately need to change the video card

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Originally posted by sunny
If you find the CD copying slow, make sure you have DMA turned on. Head over to your Device Manager -> IDE/ATAPI Controllers (or similar), select the channel your drives are on, click on the Advanced tab and check you have "DMA if avaliable". Notice a 52x CD ROM never reach suchs speeds for sustained amount of times. This can be due to the discs spin up time, and the way the drive reads the disc (CAV or CLV). Some drives have 52x disabled and you might have to do something to enable 52x reading. Check your manual. 52x is almost at the physical limit of CDs.
OMG!
This actually fixed it. Before it was reading at max speed of 4x now it can read like 25x
LOL i've been searching for a solution to this problem for 6 months by asking in newsgroups, other forums, other people and tech support.
Thanks for your help

Now i gotta find out why my burner doesn't burn at its max of 10x like it did a year ago. I always get errors and i'm reduced to burning at 4x :(

Winston

HSC
OMG!
This actually fixed it. Before it was reading at max speed of 4x now it can read like 25x
LOL i've been searching for a solution to this problem for 6 months by asking in newsgroups, other forums, other people and tech support.
Thanks for your help

Now i gotta find out why my burner doesn't burn at its max of 10x like it did a year ago. I always get errors and i'm reduced to burning at 4x :(

for burning, do you always insert the blank in? stragith away.. i noticed this wiith my burner is... if all media is inserted it stuffs up in Nero, what happned i initialised everything and got to the bit where i can see the speed, then i inserted the media in.

sunny

meh.
HSC
OMG!
Thanks for your help

:) You're welcome.

What sort of CDs are you burning on? What sort of errors are you getting? If you are using something like Nero to burn, did you get to select the speed you wanted to burn at?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)