What to do? (1 Viewer)

TJefferson

HSC
I applied for ANU (arts/asia pacific studies) last year and deffered my offer. I am having second thoughts about ANU. I visited the ANU campus and was impressed (thats where our taxes go) but as a new convert to the libertarian doctrine I would hate to end up working in the public sector, as I imagine most ANU Arts graduates would. Hence, I am thinking about doing law at Deakin University or journalism at Monash University. I also received an offer for arts at the University of Melbourne.
Do any ANU Arts graduates end up in the private sector? Can majors in International Relations and Political Science lead to journalism careers or think tank jobs? Would an economics or commerce degree at ANU be too difficult for someone that hasn't done maths since Year 11. Is it easy to transfer into law at ANU (I didn't quite get the required ENTER score).

Any advice would be really good.:)

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
hmm hopefully neo/jasont/rabbits or khing will log on and answer your question about ecos/commerce. It's right out of my field, sorry. As for your arts question, sounds like a question for blacksunset. From memory she did arts based courses. I'm a science man, so i have no idea :p sorry.

Andi0390

HSC
I know a fair few people who have done degrees at ANU and then left Canberra after. Found jobs in Sydney or somewhere else. I guess its what you choose, I mean you can do whatever you want with your degree, I guess some people choose to join the public service because its easy or something but its a choice. My dad has been in public service since he graduated from USYD and went through a special program of some sort. People come everywhere and people go everywhere.

I know a lot people don't get into ANU law and do Arts with intention of transferring, and unless you are going to do very well at university I don't think it would be much easier to transfer in than a straight out application. Its going to be that way with a lot of universities though. If you want to do law then its probably easier to go somewhere that you can immediately get accepted into, but I think the quality of university effects a law degree more than an arts degree, as far as further employment is concerned.

Melbourne University is meant to be one of the best for Arts but their Melbourne model is different, and I don't like it due to a lack of flexibility and freedom. Check it out first. Although because of the way its structured you may be able to lead into law.

I was under the impression that the best Journalism courses were at CSU and UTS, if thats what you plan to do it might be worth looking into it a little more.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
if you haven't done maths before i suggest you do the following

- pick up a year 11 and/or 12 text book and read up on calculus. use "maths quest" and you're probably going to want to look at math methods.
- take a bridging course at ANU in calculus. if you do well in it, then
- do emet1001 and/or math1013

unfortunately taking on economics without a knowledge in maths is like taking on medicine without knowing any biology/chemistry. also it's kind of dependant on what lecturer you get in your economics courses. some are really math nuts and will throw an unlimited stream of calculus at you, while others some will teach you using a more intuitive approach.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)