What To Do?? (1 Viewer)

topdeck

HSC
Just need some help about a problem i have with one of my teachers. English is my best subject at school, however my teacher is an absolute dud. I am in top year 10 class, although he has been my teacher since i started year 9. In that year and a half we have done no work. For example, this year we 'studied' (i use that term loosely) lord of the flies. We did one assaignment on it, which ended up not having anything to do with our exams. Usually our lessons consist of him telling us stories about his life etc ect. My problem is that in the time i've had him, we have done no text types, nothing on essays, nothing on oral presentations pretty much everything we are supposed to do. My english book from the last 2 years consists of two pages which were written while we had substitutes. I am still getting good marks in compulsory exams, but i am getting to the point where my own study is not enough to compete with the rest of the year who is actually getting taught.

The biggest problem is that he has been at the school fo like 20 years, meaning no one dares question his teaching. The rest of my class seems to be besotted by the fact that they dont have to do any work, but i worry about what i am going to when i get to the senior years.

What shoud i do? I have thought about speaking to teh ehad english teacher, but i doubt that they would believe me, seeing as he has been there for so long. I know that everyone gets bad teachers every now and then and that i should take initiative for my learning, but i can only do so much work by myself. The way i see it, there is a difference between teaching students to be independant and being lazy.

Am i being unreasonable?

Any ideas or comments would be great, thanx

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Agreed with Wooz, definitely ask your head of English if you can change english teachers as soon as possible. Only if you aren't allowed should you consider changing schools.

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
My immediate reaction is for you to confer with any other dissatisfied English students, and see if you have a general concern about the way you're getting taught. You say are a top English student, so your concerns mightn't be brushed away if you hold dialogue with either the Head of the Department or your own teacher. You shouldn't be afraid to question, because that is one of the virtues teachers hope to instil in their pupils - even if this guy has a lot of history with the school, and is revered by staff and students, your passage through high school needs to be smooth and hard-working, not to be let down by over-relaxed teachers and uninterested classmates.

If the situation is really bad, perhaps it's best to change schools, but try and discuss it with other mates, your own parents and the teacher/head.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
change schools:), that teacher lost my english test and his not even pretending his looking for it....

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
this guy seriously reminds me of a teacher who used to teach at my school. luckily i never got him, but i feel sorry for whoever has.
well school cert wise, it's skills based so not having studied texts isn't THAT big a deal. but then again yr 10 is a great lead up to yr 11 in terms of learning about text types , and approaches to texts. you would also probably struggle in the school cert if you aren't familar with text types etc.
i say:
a) i agree with everyone and you should talk to your head/deputy
b) ask others and get them to write/sign something or come speak to the head with you
c) speak to the teacher in question about it
d) meanwhile go to your local library and borrow all the books on essay , letter , feature article etc writing and take down notes in your english book. also go to the board of studies and look at old papers to see what kind of text types you should know.

you shouldn't have to do everything by yourself though and yr 11 will be an even bigger shock if you have such a bludgy teacher in yr 10 so DEFINATELY GO SPEAK TO SOMEONE
and yeah selective schools are a good option - i go to one

topdeck

HSC
thanx for all the advice guys....i think i've decided to got to speak to my head english teacher about it, (i think she will react best)......i'll let you know how it goes...

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
yeh sounds EXACTLY like a teacher at my school at the moment. He had the top 3unit student last year for Prelim come from his class, but she of course did all the work on her own and then chose to drop it because she got sick of it.

hope it goes well for ya mate ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)