What to buy for Year 11 - Books, folder?? (1 Viewer)

Brock1

HSC
Hey starting to get nervous for Year 11 next year as i'm not sure what to buy. I always see senior students carrying massive folders and books around the school. So do I buy 2 books for every subject? 1 for class notes/ 1 for studying? What are the folders for?

Haha as you can see I have no idea what to buy, or what I need. Any help would be much appreciated :haha:

Im doing economics, mathematics, english advanced, legal, biology and religious studies 2 if that helps at all!

blackbird_14

HSC
Believe me, I was exactly like you last year with the folder/book dilemma!

Using a folder typically makes your carry load lighter as you can easily take out sheets of paper you don't need at school anymore, whilst using books means you're carrying 100 pages everyday, regardless if they're used. Using a folder allows you to quickly see all your subjects and notes. On the other hand, books are much better for not loosing notes.

Ultimately, it's really up to you. Perhaps try the folder system and see if it works for you, and if not, go books in year 12. I use a small folder for writing down notes in class (English, chemistry, geography) and when I get home I put them in a bigger folder. However for maths, I strongly recommend you stick to books otherwise you'll be going through 400 pages of loose leaf paper in a term!

Carbonunicorn

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey starting to get nervous for Year 11 next year as i'm not sure what to buy. I always see senior students carrying massive folders and books around the school. So do I buy 2 books for every subject? 1 for class notes/ 1 for studying? What are the folders for?

Haha as you can see I have no idea what to buy, or what I need. Any help would be much appreciated :haha:

Im doing economics, mathematics, english advanced, legal, biology and religious studies 2 if that helps at all!
Ahahah went through the same thing in yr11 but here is what i did.

For Adv English:
2 books 1 for class work including essays and quotes 1 other notebook slightly smaller and i used this to write down some creative writing ideas and quotes i took it to seminars and what not recommend getting yourself immersed in reading as you need a wide collective of related text

For eco:
1 book for each topic.

For Maths:
2 books 1 for class work/homework 1 for quizzes we did this at my school you can also use it to write down solutions and formulas when you are doing past papers.

For Biology
1 book for every topic trust me this helped by the end of year exam everything was easily found since each topic had it's own book i would also recommend you get a folder like not the bulky ones the display folders one for each topic it might be much but it will make life a breeze.

For SOR
1 book preferably one that is 250pages

For legal
this is very much content based so you would need a folder and 2 books at most since you will run out quickly depends on your teacher and the amount of research and class work you do.

Think that's it hope it helped and do your best! don't go overboard like me and crash first term of year 12 ahahah be consistent and work on any bad study habits you have now.:spin:

Brock1

HSC
Ahahah went through the same thing in yr11 but here is what i did.

For Adv English:
2 books 1 for class work including essays and quotes 1 other notebook slightly smaller and i used this to write down some creative writing ideas and quotes i took it to seminars and what not recommend getting yourself immersed in reading as you need a wide collective of related text

For eco:
1 book for each topic.

For Maths:
2 books 1 for class work/homework 1 for quizzes we did this at my school you can also use it to write down solutions and formulas when you are doing past papers.

For Biology
1 book for every topic trust me this helped by the end of year exam everything was easily found since each topic had it's own book i would also recommend you get a folder like not the bulky ones the display folders one for each topic it might be much but it will make life a breeze.

For SOR
1 book preferably one that is 250pages

For legal
this is very much content based so you would need a folder and 2 books at most since you will run out quickly depends on your teacher and the amount of research and class work you do.

Think that's it hope it helped and do your best! don't go overboard like me and crash first term of year 12 ahahah be consistent and work on any bad study habits you have now.:spin:

Thanks so much! Do you have any specifics, as I'm not sure what folders or books to get?!

Thanks heaps!

tofusenpai

HSC
Hey I'm in yr 11 this year and I'm pretty unsure of what to get as well.

I haven't finished shopping but so far this is what I have and intend to get:
- a binder
- binder books (one for each subject I got 126 page for every subject although I dunno if that's enough. For English I got 200+ and Maths I got the
300+ grid I also suggest an extra lined book for Maths as well - esp me since I struggle in Maths so basically I take down notes there as well stuff
I don't understand)
- binder pages (to take notes)
- sticky notes and post its
- I have a pencil case with the basic things in there (pens, eraser, sharpener, highlighter, scissors) and then I have a separate one it's like a pencil
case you can put in your binder where I put my sticky notes, colour pencils, charcoal pencils, textas and stuff I would need but not much especially
for VA and also my protractor set and calculator.
- If you have a laptop would suggest a laptop case
- Display folder (for Design and Tech and Textiles)
- VA Diary

blackbird_14

HSC
Hey I'm in yr 11 this year and I'm pretty unsure of what to get as well.

I haven't finished shopping but so far this is what I have and intend to get:
- a binder
- binder books (one for each subject I got 126 page for every subject although I dunno if that's enough. For English I got 200+ and Maths I got the
300+ grid I also suggest an extra lined book for Maths as well - esp me since I struggle in Maths so basically I take down notes there as well stuff
I don't understand)
- binder pages (to take notes)
- sticky notes and post its
- I have a pencil case with the basic things in there (pens, eraser, sharpener, highlighter, scissors) and then I have a separate one it's like a pencil
case you can put in your binder where I put my sticky notes, colour pencils, charcoal pencils, textas and stuff I would need but not much especially
for VA and also my protractor set and calculator.
- If you have a laptop would suggest a laptop case
- Display folder (for Design and Tech and Textiles)
- VA Diary
Honestly, grid books are more expensive than lined pages, and it's bad practice to draw graphs in grid books because in the HSC you don't get grid pape, you get lined. So it's best to start practicing graphs without grids now. Also there's only a few topics in which graphs are drawn anyway.

tofusenpai

HSC
Honestly, grid books are more expensive than lined pages, and it's bad practice to draw graphs in grid books because in the HSC you don't get grid pape, you get lined. So it's best to start practicing graphs without grids now. Also there's only a few topics in which graphs are drawn anyway.
I didn't know that but thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I did mainly writing based subjects, so I predominately brought in my laptop and had a folder which I prepared daily - it would have my books in (I tended to print and stick in any typed work I had completed) it along with any loose leaf homework/ worksheets I needed to bring in for the day. This meant I brought only a small-ish bag that wasn't going to break my back.

I then had folders for each of my subjects (sorted in topic order) where I'd put any worksheets or handouts I'd received. At the end of the topic (sometimes progressively throughout) I'd prepare notes and place them at the end of each topic. I was pretty damn lazy, so it helped when I needed to cram before exams lol.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
If you organised, get those folders. If not, just use a book and put sheets into a folder for each subject. I prefer the latter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)