What to bring to O-week (1 Viewer)

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
Since lectures don't start until the Monday, I'm guessing that writing pads shouldn't be brought until then. On that point, what else should I bring? I should be fine with a small bag, pen and student campus card, right?

gaugau1

HSC
Aparently u need to bring quite a bit of money. For acess card and society fees :)

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
Can't we use our student cards for Access cards and maybe societies? It would seem useless to have a debit function which can't be used. :)

izzy88

HSC
Can't we use our student cards for Access cards and maybe societies? It would seem useless to have a debit function which can't be used. :)
If you have activated it/ have money on it, then yes you can use your debit card to purchase an access card. I have never activated the visa functionality on my student card - when I originally looked into it there were very few ways of putting money on it that didn't cost. I just use my normal bank cards (no fees at all) for day to day expenses. The student visa debit just seems like a bit of a gimic in my opinion.

However societies will only take cash. (It would be impractical and expensive for every single society stall to have card facilities). If you want to be nice to the societies, bring coins or small notes - most membership fees are between $3 - $10.

Basically for o-week just bring student card, wallet (with cash) and whatever normal stuff you need when you go out (phone etc). Its fun, not study :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What to bring to O-Week? An empty bag so you can put free stuff in it. Or, nothing at all, get a free bag and win that way.

zxreth

HSC
What to bring to O-Week? An empty bag so you can put free stuff in it. Or, nothing at all, get a free bag and win that way.
Slow down, this is USYD we're talking about here not UNSW.

zxreth

HSC
why you dont have free stuff at usyd...?

if so, why would you even go to o-week
idk, this is my first year. but i can't imagine usyd having as many free stuff being handed out as unsw does

gaugau1

HSC
idk, this is my first year. but i can't imagine usyd having as many free stuff being handed out as unsw does
I recon there won't be anywhere near as much free stuff. At usyd open day I only got a couple of pens at unsw apparently had heaps of stuff.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I recon there won't be anywhere near as much free stuff. At usyd open day I only got a couple of pens at unsw apparently had heaps of stuff.
I didn't even get that much free stuff at unsw. It was disappointing.

And there were insurance people trying to get me to sign up to shit, I was like "fuck off." It was cray cray.

izzy88

HSC
i'm not sure why this would be, but anyway... (to be honest most of the stuff I collect at o-week ends up going in the bin by the end of the week).

Not necessarily free, but things you may be carrying home by the end of the day:
- if you purchase an access card you will get an access bag with stuff in it (last year it also included a sports towel). If you get in early the bags will generally have better stuff in it then later.
- if you join SU sport they usually are giving out branded t-shirts of some sort
- usually there's a red bull or coke team giving out drinks
- banks/other institutions will be there trying to sign you up to stuff (I joined NRMA in my first year lol)

izzy88

HSC
How much is an access card?
MEMBERSHIP 2012
Annual Membership...................................... $110
Renewing 2011 Membership....................... $90

LIFE OF DEGREE MEMBERSHIP - Save 25%*
*Based on purchasing year by year starting with $110
3 Year................................$220 (Save $70)
4 Year................................$285 (Save $95)
5 Year................................$350 (Save $120)

PLUS - Access Members can recieve FREE SMH Uni Card offer + The USU Member Goodie Bag (limited stocks)

GET YOUR ACCESS CARD AT
• The ACCESS Desk, Level 1 Manning House, Manning Road
• Academic Dress, Ground Floor Holme Building, Science Road
• U Shop, Level 1 Jane Foss Russell Building
• Campus Store, Back counter, Level 3 Wentworth Building, City Road
• International Students Lounge, Level 4 Wentworth Building, City Road;

zxreth

HSC

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
If i were to buy online could i still get the free bag and stuff? how does that work?
Even if you buy online, you have to pick it up in person and get a photo done (assuming they're following the same procedures as last year when I worked for them). When you get given your card, you'll also be given a voucher for the free bag, which you can pick up from the show bag tent (they'll give you directions to that). If you sign up for getting the Herald, you'll also receive your Herald Card which lets you pick up the paper from uni each day you're there for free.

zxreth

HSC
Even if you buy online, you have to pick it up in person and get a photo done (assuming they're following the same procedures as last year when I worked for them). When you get given your card, you'll also be given a voucher for the free bag, which you can pick up from the show bag tent (they'll give you directions to that). If you sign up for getting the Herald, you'll also receive your Herald Card which lets you pick up the paper from uni each day you're there for free.
how long does the whole procedure normally take? because im planning to go around 10:30 and i have my school welcome at 11

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know if you can pay for Access on the day with a card?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
how long does the whole procedure normally take? because im planning to go around 10:30 and i have my school welcome at 11
10 mins if there's no line, but there will be a decent line because it's the first day. I'd suggest either getting it online and picking up in the morning, or getting the card after your school welcome.

Does anyone know if you can pay for Access on the day with a card?
Yes, there's eftpos available

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll probably head to the ISL to get mine then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)