What technique's are in this? (1 Viewer)

Orwell

HSC
''At that time, and at that time in every way, I would have needed encouragement. I was, after all, weighed down by your mere physical presence. I remember, for instance, how we often undressed in the same bathing hut. There was I, skinny, weakly, slight; you strong, tall, broad. Even inside the hut I felt a miserable specimen, and what's more, not only in your eyes but in the eyes of the whole world, for you were for me the measure of all things.''

Last edited:

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
What are you trying to say in your essay? Context would help identify the clauses you want to use.

Orwell

HSC
It's for my AOS essay on Relationships - specifically referring to concepts such as alienation and abandonment/betrayal/lack of intimacy.

WildestDreams

HSC
'At that time, and at that time in every way, I would have needed encouragement. I was, after all, weighed down by your mere physical presence. I remember, for instance, how we often undressed in the same bathing hut. There was I, skinny, weakly, slight; you strong, tall, broad. Even inside the hut I felt a miserable specimen, and what's more, not only in your eyes but in the eyes of the whole world, for you were for me the measure of all things.''

'at that time' - repetition
'I' - first person
'skinny, weakly, slight' - listing
'strong, tall broad' listing
'eyes of the whole world' - hyperbolic

That should be more than enough... however if you like you may also comment on tone, structure (i.e. overuse of commas) as well as any positive or negative connotations and what they may foreshadow.

Hope this helps :)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
'At that time, and at that time in every way, I would have needed encouragement. I was, after all, weighed down by your mere physical presence. I remember, for instance, how we often undressed in the same bathing hut. There was I, skinny, weakly, slight; you strong, tall, broad. Even inside the hut I felt a miserable specimen, and what's more, not only in your eyes but in the eyes of the whole world, for you were for me the measure of all things.''

'at that time' - repetition
'I' - first person
'skinny, weakly, slight' - listing
'strong, tall broad' listing
'eyes of the whole world' - hyperbolic

That should be more than enough... however if you like you may also comment on tone, structure (i.e. overuse of commas) as well as any positive or negative connotations and what they may foreshadow.

Hope this helps :)
Also to add on, the 'strong, tall, broad' diction juxtaposes the persona's 'skinny, weakly, slight' physical stature.

Orwell

HSC
Prelims are tomorrow, freaking out, any techniques here:

It is as if someone is going to be hanged. If he really is hanged, then he is dead and it is all over. But if he has to go through all the preliminaries to being hanged and he learns of his reprieve only when the noose is dangling before his face, he may suffer from it all his life.

I'm thinking extended simile, but I don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)