What subjects would be recommended to take if I want to do engineering? (1 Viewer)

Englite

HSC
So far I have got

Advanced English
Mathematics Extension 1
Mathematics
Physics
Economics
Engineering Studies
SOR 1 unit

Should I change anything around or is that alright? I also plan to take 4U Mathematics in Year 12.

raghusi

HSC
those subjects are pretty good! But what sort of engineering do u wanna pursue? if you wanna go for biomedical, petroleum, chemical, or environmental eng- i would repace eng studies with chemistry. otherwise, this combo is pretty good!

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
Advanced English
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension 1
Physics
Chemistry
SOR 1
And then another subject of your choice. I would take Bio but that might drive you insane with three sciences. Modern History or Economics might be better.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Engineering requires maths. Everything else, do what you want.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
engineering. just do maffs 4u and physics and choose some other subjects u like.

Alkanes

HSC
Chem is also good, but not necessary.

_deloso

HSC
So far I have got

Advanced English
Mathematics Extension 1
Mathematics
Physics
Economics
Engineering Studies
SOR 1 unit

Should I change anything around or is that alright? I also plan to take 4U Mathematics in Year 12.
Maths (4u), Physics, and advanced english (highly recommended that you do them!) then pick other subjects you enjoy.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Physics? Just do your maths if you want to do engineering. That's the only real prerequisite.

Alkanes

HSC
So 4U is a must for engineering?
It would be good, but you don't have to do it during high school. Because you can do bridging courses and you'll learn them during the duration of the course anyway, but doing it would be beneficial.

Alkanes

HSC
I thought Physics was required by many types of Engineering courses at UNSW?
Definitely, physics i think is a must for engineering. Surprisingly the other day i was reading the unsw uni guide, and for chemical engineer they said your recommended knowledge is physics and maths ext 1.. No chem? How ironic?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I thought Physics was required by many types of Engineering courses at UNSW?
Definitely, physics i think is a must for engineering. Surprisingly the other day i was reading the unsw uni guide, and for chemical engineer they said your recommended knowledge is physics and maths ext 1.. No chem? How ironic?
It probably is a 'must' but they'll teach you from scratch anyway, I think. The maths is something that can't be taught easily from scratch though.

funnytomato

HSC
4u maths is the backbone to engineering. If you don't do 4u maths, then you're at loss. Cuz I heard from ppl that they finish complex numbers in the first week of engineering.
Pick 4u maths, physics and maybe engineering studies.
For other subjects, just choose whatever you like.
4u maths will definitely be an advantage
but it wouldn't matter if you're a quick learner and haven't done it (however most of these ppl choose to do MX2)

Englite

HSC
I really don't want to do a bridging course at UNI, waste of time and pointless. You would much rather do the course in Year 11 and Year 12 and get that knowledge.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Adv English
Extension 1 or 2 Mathematics
Chemistry
Physics
Engineering Studies

Perfect Subject Build!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)