What subjects will you be doing in 2008? (1 Viewer)

HSC
lol, i hope it isn't as bad as you made it sound like =P

but yes, nonetheless, i'm still looking forward to it, because i usually love anything ancient history. :cool:

which other second semester AHST subjects would you say are more interesting anyway? and did you do AHST103?

and thanks for the offer for the reading material. i dont know yet which texts are required for this subject yet... but i might buy them off you later.

oh, and if anyone else has done this unit, what did you think?

K.

HSC
I'd recommend myth. You don't have to go to the lectures, only the ones you need for your assignment and its a precirculated exam too. Less stress and its more interesting. It spans across many interests of history too.

Nah, I havent done 103.

X

xeuyrawp

My guide to first year AHST subjects. The assignment weightings are approximate from my memory. I've done all the subjects except AHST104, 105, and 210, all of which I've sat in on at some time. I haven't done, or sat in on AHST235, which you can do in second semester - Alana Nobbs and Ken Parry take the subject, and they're good lecturers in my opinion.

Unless otherwise stated (102, 105), subjects are offered in 2008.

AHST100: Egyptian Archaeology: D1, E1, offered every year:

Basically this is the first Egyptology course. As such, you'd expect it to be broad in terms of requirements - it's not. It focuses soley on archaeology; namely artefacts, ecofacts, and art/architecture. It is broad historically, but in terms of the evidence, you only use a very small range - nothing textual, and nothing secondary. It's a great course; the lecturer is awesome and engaging, but, like most AHST subjects (with the exception of myth, I think), it'd be difficult unless you're passionate about it.

Readings are on a weekly basis and have to be done before the tute. Reasonable load; say ~20 minutes a week.

Assessments are: Short take-home test (10%), class participation (10%), essay (40%), and exam in the exam period (40%).

AHST101: Myth in the Ancient World: D2, X2, offered every year:

This is the only general AHST course. It covers Egypt, Rome, Greece, and Mesopotamia, but has a big Classical (Greco-Roman) focus. The unit is great for ancient historians as well as anyone generally interested as it allows you to select topics that interest you. The theoretical stuff about 'myth' is very relevant to any humanities/social science field, as it basically examines how myths are created and propelled.

The tutes are engaging because the tute questions require that a) everybody does the readings (~10 mins or less) and b) that some people do the tute questions. Thus there's always a reasonable amount of discussion.

Assessments: 2x tute papers (20%), essay (40%), final exam which is precirculated (40%). Broad choice of the questions.

AHST102: Greek Society 500-300 BC: Oikos and Polis: Offered 2009:

An interesting topic because it covers what is called 'social history' (wikipedia it). Great because very few AHST subjects cover non-traditional history, with the exception of 100.

Lectures are boring as hell, tutes are a bit more interesting. Great content, though.

Assessments and tutes as per AHST101, except there is no choice for the essay.

AHST103: Rome: From Republic to Empire: D1, E1, X1, offered every year:

One of the few AHST subjects which doesn't lose students every week, due in large part (and made interesting by) the perenially fascinating Tom Hillard and his partner Lea Bennes.

It covers the period right before Julius Caesar, and thus explores how a republic gets converted into a military-ruled empire. Great content, although very dense.

Assessments and tutes as per AHST102. The exam is usually only partly pre-circulated though. The essay is a prosopographical assignment, ie you outline and analyse the career of one person; challenging but rewarding.

AHST104: Antiquity's Heirs: Barbarian Europe, Byzantium, and Islam: D2, E2, sometimes not offered:

This subject connects the ancient Eurasian world with the medieval one. Outlines what happened to the Roman Empire, how it changed, and how the eastern borders of it interacted with the rise in Arab/Islamic cultures.

Assesments are: tute participation (10%), first essay (20%), second essay (40%), and an exam (30%).

K's done the subject properly.

AHST210: Archaeology and Society: D2:

This subject can be done in your second semester of first year if you did 12cps in your first semester.

It's a great subject. Covers archaeological methodology with focus on the Classical world. The work in the museum is engaging and relevant, and all the lectures and tutes are balanced between practical and theoretical work.

Assesments are something like AHST100.

AHST231: Ciceronian Rome: D2:

Prereqs are the same as 210; 12cps.

Another great subject, a continuation of theme and time from AHST103. Basically it starts where 103 ends; around the time of Julius Caesar. The subject is dense like 103, but even moreso because it covers a shorter period of time; literally only from Julius Caesar's birth to his death.

This is a fascinating and important period, so the content is automatically great. The lectures and tutes are in the typical Hillard style, which is engaging.

Assesments are like AHST103, except I believe there may be only one tute paper and not two.

endofdroad

HSC
Semester 1

ACCG100
ECON110
STAT170
MATH123

Semester 2

ACST101
ISYS123
ACCG101
ECON111

And can i ask guyz n gurlz i know this sounds dumb but how would you know what your major and submajors are??

edialeda

HSC
Semester 1:

ENGL218
HIST245
ENGL270

Semester 2:

HIST265
AUST200
HIST217

Only 8 hours at uni each week which is pretty good.

X

xeuyrawp

edialeda said:
Semester 1:

ENGL218
HIST245
ENGL270

Semester 2:

HIST265
AUST200
HIST217

Only 8 hours at uni each week which is pretty good.
Still want to do 265/365... <3 Michelle Arrow.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rofl, so did you get into Media LLB?

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
First Semester :

Accg101
Isys123
Busl250

+ Full time work.. yessss....

prusso

HSC
no1 doing my ones :(

1st
bba350
bba315
isys302
mktg306

2nd
accg253
bba216
bba351

then finished!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)