What subjects should I do for Year 12?? (1 Viewer)

Melv_Inc

HSC
I'm currently in Year 11 (about to be Year 12 next term) and got my marks for prelims. I'm not sure about what subject I should let go of (or if I should drop anything at all) since I feel like I've done relatively well in all of my subjects; i.e. I got above 90% for everything except ext1 math (86%):
  • English Advanced: 1/49
  • Math Advanced: 3/73
  • Math Extension 1: 4/41
  • Biology: 2/59
  • Physics: 2/43
  • IPT: 1/21
  • Economics: 1/18
Rn I'm juggling between the idea of dropping IPT (since I don't really want to do more than 12 units for the HSC, and it has shit scaling) + picking up Ext2 Maths and keeping IPT + not doing Ext2 maths which will put me at 13 units. Also, even though I got 4th for extension 1 (and also 86/100 in terms of marks), I kinda bombed the first exam (64%) and it was my worst subject for the half-yearly which is making me second-guess my ability to do ext2. I'm also not really firm on what I want to do for uni/my career so it's not like I need to do extension 2 for a engineering/CS degree or something. Any guidance would be very appreciated :)

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
I'm currently in Year 11 (about to be Year 12 next term) and got my marks for prelims. I'm not sure about what subject I should let go of (or if I should drop anything at all) since I feel like I've done relatively well in all of my subjects; i.e. I got above 90% for everything except ext1 math (86%):
Rn I'm juggling between the idea of dropping IPT (since I don't really want to do more than 12 units for the HSC, and it has shit scaling) + picking up Ext2 Maths and keeping IPT + not doing Ext2 maths which will put me at 13 units. Also, even though I got 4th for extension 1 (and also 86/100 in terms of marks), I kinda bombed the first exam (64%) and it was my worst subject for the half-yearly which is making me second-guess my ability to do ext2. I'm also not really firm on what I want to do for uni/my career so it's not like I need to do extension 2 for a engineering/CS degree or something. Any guidance would be very appreciated :)
For both of the degrees you've mentioned, neither require extension 2 as a prerequisite. Might I add though, your 'poor' performance in Extension 1 is not bad at all dude!! Year 11 is the time to make mistakes, this is the time you are given to tweak those minor inconsistencies in your working, or logical process in tackling certain question types. This 87% is likely going to skyrocket dude! I'm sure you're more than capable of 4U if you do put in the work.

- All the best man! GL.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
drop bio before u get brain trauma

jks

carrotsss

HSC
you can always pick up ext 2 and then wait and see which subject you end up wanting to drop

Melv_Inc

HSC
For both of the degrees you've mentioned, neither require extension 2 as a prerequisite. Might I add though, your 'poor' performance in Extension 1 is not bad at all dude!! Year 11 is the time to make mistakes, this is the time you are given to tweak those minor inconsistencies in your working, or logical process in tackling certain question types. This 87% is likely going to skyrocket dude! I'm sure you're more than capable of 4U if you do put in the work.

- All the best man! GL.
Thank you! I guess I'll try extension 2 and see how it goes for the first few weeks...

Melv_Inc

HSC
you can always pick up ext 2 and then wait and see which subject you end up wanting to drop
Yea, that's my current plan. Around how long should I wait until I drop a subject? Like until the first assessment? Until then, I'll be carrying 14 units which frightens me a little

Melv_Inc

HSC
drop bio before u get brain trauma

jks
I actually might.. Year 11 Bio was the most boring thing I've ever had to endure lmao. The only hope is that I've heard Year 12 bio gets much better

Sam14113

HSC
Oh my god what are those ranks

My personal opinion is just drop the subject you like the least, and take ext 2 if you feel like that's what you want to do. You're going to get a ridiculous ATAR either way and it's not like you need the subjects for anything. I feel like taking 14 units doesn't really have much benefit and it can make you stressed - I was taking 11 units this year and that was a lot.

If you really want to take 14 units into year 12 go for it - you've proven you can do it - but don't be afraid to drop even down to 10 units if you feel like you're overworked at any time.

Sam14113

HSC
I actually might.. Year 11 Bio was the most boring thing I've ever had to endure lmao. The only hope is that I've heard Year 12 bio gets much better
If you do drop bio and you get a 99.95 ATAR and state rank all of your subjects (hypothetically) but your friends say it gets very interesting, how much (if at all) do you think you'd regret dropping bio?

I wouldn't hang around with a subject, just hoping it gets better (I mean honestly I would if I topped it, but not if I topped like everything else as well). The decision's yours, but I think dropping bio or another subject you didn't enjoy makes sense.

carrotsss

HSC
Yea, that's my current plan. Around how long should I wait until I drop a subject? Like until the first assessment? Until then, I'll be carrying 14 units which frightens me a little
An extra 17% workload for a term shouldn’t completely kill you, I’d just drop something once you’ve 100% made up your mind

Sam14113

HSC
Carrotsss has a point

can I ask - I know people say bio is better in year 12, but is that in reference to specific modules, or the full course? My only concern is that right now you’re like “Okay let’s wait and see if Bio gets better” and then going into 2024 you’re thinking “Okay Module 5 was eh but people say Module 6 is better and Mods 7 and 8 are awesome I’ll stick around for a bit”… I think you can see how this can continue.

If it’s expected to be great from next term then I’d maybe hold on for a term with the decision to make a concrete decision at the end of the year, but otherwise it seems like you’re putting off a decision you’re ultimately going to have to make anyway.

Also maybe chat with your Physics teacher or past Physics students as well - Modules 7and 8 are soooo different to anything else you do before then and your enjoyment may change at that stage. I’m not saying it will, just saying it might.

Sam14113

HSC
Oh and last thing: does IPT have a big project for your school’s internal assessment? I did SDD and honestly spent way too much time on my project (my fault mostly) so just make sure if you’re going into a big project that doesn’t even count as a major work with 14 units - it might hurt.

goodcat911

HSC
“Okay let’s wait and see if Bio gets better” and then going into 2024 you’re thinking “Okay Module 5 was eh but people say Module 6 is better and Mods 7 and 8 are awesome I’ll stick around for a bit”… I think you can see how this can continue.
u just predicted how the last yr has been wtf

carrotsss

HSC
Also maybe chat with your Physics teacher or past Physics students as well - Modules 7and 8 are soooo different to anything else you do before then and your enjoyment may change at that stage. I’m not saying it will, just saying it might.
This is very true they’re just so content heavy, and a lot of it is just sorta knowing timelines and specific scientists/experiments rather than calculations, it feels like a completely different subject. It’s not the worst because it’s still really cool/interesting content, but it’s a lot more painful to study for than something like mod 5 (imo).

goodcat911

HSC
If you do drop bio and you get a 99.95 ATAR and state rank all of your subjects (hypothetically) but your friends say it gets very interesting, how much (if at all) do you think you'd regret dropping bio?

I wouldn't hang around with a subject, just hoping it gets better (I mean honestly I would if I topped it, but not if I topped like everything else as well). The decision's yours, but I think dropping bio or another subject you didn't enjoy makes sense.
100% agree with this. if u dont enjoy a subject, ur gonna have much less motivation to study for it and put less effort than if it were a subject u enjoyed. i recommend doing 4u, eng adv, phys, eco and ipt and maybe drop one of these later on during the year if ur confident with 10.

Melv_Inc

HSC
can I ask - I know people say bio is better in year 12, but is that in reference to specific modules, or the full course? My only concern is that right now you’re like “Okay let’s wait and see if Bio gets better” and then going into 2024 you’re thinking “Okay Module 5 was eh but people say Module 6 is better and Mods 7 and 8 are awesome I’ll stick around for a bit”… I think you can see how this can continue.
I'm not too sure but I'm guessing that the overall experience (i.e. the full course) gets better from the context in which I asked others. Honestly, the only part I disliked about bio was plants and ecosystems but everything else was enjoyable, including the class and the teacher. I've skimmed ahead for year 12 bio and, unless I've missed something, there's basically no plants (except for a little bit in mod 5) and no ecosystems so that's why I'll probably end up keeping it tbh
Also, regarding your other comments:
- I quite enjoy physics as a subject and I know module 8 is similar to some of the "universe" stuff from year 10 science which was probably my favourite topic so I'm pretty sure I'll keep it
- IPT has no major work; it's just 5 topics of content content content (basically the 'computer' version of Bio lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)