What subjects are you thinking of dropping next yr? (1 Viewer)

bawd

HSC
I'm dropping Ancient History so I get some study periods to focus on other subjects.

The Kaiser

HSC
I having trouble deciding to drop English Extension or Physics. On the one hand because I do much better in Physics than in English Adv/Ext, it will raise my UAI. However, I am not interested in Physics and do not enjoy it - and I do not want to miss out on English Extension 1, because of the creative element. However because I will only have 11 units then English Ext will not count, but Advanced will, which is my worst subject. (Keeping both isn't an option, because I can't handle the workload, as evidenced by this year)

If anyone can help me and give me some advice, I'll greatly appreciate it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
The Kaiser said:
I having trouble deciding to drop English Extension or Physics. On the one hand because I do much better in Physics than in English Adv/Ext, it will raise my UAI. However, I am not interested in Physics and do not enjoy it - and I do not want to miss out on English Extension 1, because of the creative element. However because I will only have 11 units then English Ext will not count, but Advanced will, which is my worst subject. (Keeping both isn't an option, because I can't handle the workload, as evidenced by this year)

If I were you, I would choose English Extension 1 over Physics. You may perform better in Physics at the moment but it is all down to HSC. You will see tramendous difference in results in few months to come. If you continue with the subject that you hold no love for, you will begin to feel burnt out in the subject and you will encounter downfall in your ranks.

I never got over 70% in Mathematics Extension 1 last year despite my limitless reservoir of love that I hold towards it. However, my love towards it started to work at the beginning of this year. I began to work harder and harder as it got more serious. Now, my result is at 94% to 95% overall. If I had a subject that I didn't like, I would be reluctant to work for it even though it may be my HSC subject. See how you go next term. You will definitely start to work harder in the subjects that you like most (and hence get better marks and ranks in them).

By the way, I am planning to drop Chemistry even though it is one of my strength. I am dropping it because I just don't enjoy it.

The Kaiser

HSC
lyounamu said:
If I were you, I would choose English Extension 1 over Physics. You may perform better in Physics at the moment but it is all down to HSC. You will see tramendous difference in results in few months to come. If you continue with the subject that you hold no love for, you will begin to feel burnt out in the subject and you will encounter downfall in your ranks.

I never got over 70% in Mathematics Extension 1 last year despite my limitless reservoir of love that I hold towards it. However, my love towards it started to work at the beginning of this year. I began to work harder and harder as it got more serious. Now, my result is at 94% to 95% overall. If I had a subject that I didn't like, I would be reluctant to work for it even though it may be my HSC subject. See how you go next term. You will definitely start to work harder in the subjects that you like most (and hence get better marks and ranks in them).

By the way, I am planning to drop Chemistry even though it is one of my strength. I am dropping it because I just don't enjoy it.
I'm actually really frightened though, because then if I stuff up Advanced (A subject which I equally disdain like Physics) then i'm gone, and Extension wouldn't count at all.

But anyway, that's some great advice, Thanks! :rolleyes:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
The Kaiser said:
I'm actually really frightened though, because then if I stuff up Advanced (A subject which I equally disdain like Physics) then i'm gone, and Extension wouldn't count at all.

But anyway, that's some great advice, Thanks! :rolleyes:
It's the best 2 Units of English (not necessarily English (Advanced) alone). They's why I am advising you to choose English Extension 1. Put it this way, English Extension 1 will count towards your UAI if you perform badly in English (Advanced). Then, wouldn't it benefit you?

If you perform better at English Extension 1 in terms of scaled mark, it will count one unit out of two towards your UAI. (1 unit out of 2 will be from English Extension 1 and the other unit from English (Advanced)). You may also consider English Extension 2 if you are good at English.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
The Kaiser said:

Go with Extension English. :uhhuh:

brisee

HSC
I might take a leaf out of The Kaiser's book and drop Physics. I'm getting good marks in it, but I'm having problems staying awake ^^. Besides, the assessment I got startling marks for was a literature report - so I best channel that research/investigation energy into a history or EE2. :eek:

I'm planning on picking up EE2 English and Latin Extension. So now it's down to Ancient and Modern. I love Ancient at the moment. I can get flimsy in assessments, our school has never been crash hot at it and not to mention that it has notoriously dangerous scaling, but I have a really good teacher and currently I'm not doing too badly. Apart from the scaling, I'm thinking that the Archaeology Core Studies may kill me first.

Modern. Well, it'd be a more stable choice. I'm getting great marks in this too, but I'm not very enthused with my teacher or with the class I'm in (out of the 8 people I sat amongst, only 4 are left - telltale, much?). And with a combination of WWI and Russia as a proposed national study next year, there's an air of something dead hanging around.

Please helllp. After writing that, I'm contemplating Physics again. I'd give you my semester 1 marks if that helps XD. Oh, what to do??

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
brisee said:
I might take a leaf out of The Kaiser's book and drop Physics. I'm getting good marks in it, but I'm having problems staying awake ^^. Besides, the assessment I got startling marks for was a literature report - so I best channel that research/investigation energy into a history or EE2. :eek:

I'm planning on picking up EE2 English and Latin Extension. So now it's down to Ancient and Modern. I love Ancient at the moment. I can get flimsy in assessments, our school has never been crash hot at it and not to mention that it has notoriously dangerous scaling, but I have a really good teacher and currently I'm not doing too badly. Apart from the scaling, I'm thinking that the Archaeology Core Studies may kill me first.

Modern. Well, it'd be a more stable choice. I'm getting great marks in this too, but I'm not very enthused with my teacher or with the class I'm in (out of the 8 people I sat amongst, only 4 are left - telltale, much?). And with a combination of WWI and Russia as a proposed national study next year, there's an air of something dead hanging around.

Please helllp. After writing that, I'm contemplating Physics again. I'd give you my semester 1 marks if that helps XD. Oh, what to do??
You will have 16 Units next year if you decide to keep all your current Units and pick two Extension subjects. I can see that you wish to drop 2 subjects to make your units to 12 units which are more manageable. Would you mind telling us how you are actually performing in those 3 subjects (modern, ancient and physics)? Show us some ranks and marks and from that we might be able to say what you might be better off without.

From what I have heard, dropping modern and physics sounds like the best choice. Unless you are topping them (or very close to top), you will be better off without them. Because in HSC, as I said you will see gradual but significant transition in your subjects' ranks and marks. Everyone will work hard (probably most of students). You will have to choose subjects that you like to get motivated. Your current performance cannot justify your subject selection only and it may chnage next year where you learn different topics.

jules.09

HSC
The Kaiser said:

That isn't necessarily the case. I asked my school deputy principal about this and he said that all units count. That's why certain things are worth two units, and they will count only one unit from it if that's what gives you better marks.

For example, if you get a scaled aggregate of 45, they multiply this by two (for two units) to give you a mark of 90.

You won't be losing anything if you're going to give extension english a shot; it's also better that you actually enjoy the subject? Physics is great, but if you don't like it, then that really settles it.

Also, even though the board makes it compulsory for people to do a minimum of four subjects, my deputy said they don't take that into account in the calculation of hsc/uai.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jules.09 said:
That isn't necessarily the case. I asked my school deputy principal about this and he said that all units count. That's why certain things are worth two units, and they will count only one unit from it if that's what gives you better marks.

For example, if you get a scaled aggregate of 45, they multiply this by two (for two units) to give you a mark of 90.

You won't be losing anything if you're going to give extension english a shot; it's also better that you actually enjoy the subject? Physics is great, but if you don't like it, then that really settles it.

Also, even though the board makes it compulsory for people to do a minimum of four subjects, my deputy said they don't take that into account in the calculation of hsc/uai.
No, that's not true. You may have misheard him/her. English Extension 1 is a 1 Unit course. Therefore, the maximum SCLAED MARK you can get from this is 50. When they calculate your UAI, they take you top 10 Units. Before doing that, they split all your Units into 1 unit value. And they work out the individual scaled mark for each unit and they add up the top 10 scaled units. This produces aggregate mark out of 500. (because 1 unit = 50).

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
No, that's not true. You may have misheard him/her. English Extension 1 is a 1 Unit course. Therefore, the maximum SCLAED MARK you can get from this is 50. When they calculate your UAI, they take you top 10 Units. Before doing that, they split all your Units into 1 unit value. And they work out the individual scaled mark for each unit and they add up the top 10 scaled units. This produces aggregate mark out of 500. (because 1 unit = 50).
yeap english extension 1 is apparent a 1 unit course. Extension 2 is also a 2 unit course as you also have to sit the exam for english 2 units. When I mean extension 2 is 2 units, I meant that for doing it u have to do extension 1 and extension 2 which are both out of 50 marks. Thus totalling 100.

jules.09

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yes, english extension is indeed a one unit course. What I'm saying is that there's nothing to lose because they can count one extension unit and 1 unit from advanced.

That's 2 units of english. Or if the kaiser performs brilliantly in all 3, then all three count.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jules.09 said:
Yes, english extension is indeed a one unit course. What I'm saying is that there's nothing to lose because they can count one extension unit and 1 unit from advanced.

That's 2 units of english. Or if the kaiser performs brilliantly in all 3, then all three count.
I thought you meant that all subjects count. Sorry!

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
At the moment, it is a choice between Information Processes and Technology and Extension English 1.

For starters, I find the IPT course very laid back and definitely something that does not interest me. It was something that was assigned to me since my original selection of modern history clashed with something else on my time table.

It also apparently scales very poorly, and the class is far from an ideal learning environment.

I do however, hold the capability of excelling within this subject due to its basic content (at least from my perspective). I am currently fairly satisfied with my performance.

Extension English on the other hand, is putting me in a situation where I'm inundated with too much English, and it eventually becomes a bore. I appreciate everything in moderation I guess.

I understand the logical decision is to keep Extension because it merely requires a little more dedication on my part to excel within it. The scaling involved with this course is without question a bonus.

I guess in the end, I need to determine which of the two subjects I am capable of achieving the best results in.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sikdude said:
hey, peoples can you just me out.

just wanted to know how you know what subjects scale the best or not, if you get above state average, i do

physics, engineering studies, biz studies, biology, 3 unit maths and adv english...?

and also what i would need to get in each subject to get a UAI over 95..
Go to the www.uac.edu.au and then type in scaling report in the search function. You will be able to come across it. If you cannot find it, I will find it for you. For your 2nd question, download the UAI calculator fromg google (the most recent one). Then type in marks to see how you can get it. Good luck.

jules.09

HSC
lyounamu said:
I thought you meant that all subjects count. Sorry!
Hey, it's cool.

To actually address this thread, I think I'll drop Visual Arts even though I can do it, to accomodate for my extensions in english and math.

... even though I don't really like chem but it is a general pre-requisite/recommendation for all science based courses in uni.

Fisics is phun so I should be keeping it. :lol:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Aznmichael92 said:
yeap english extension 1 is apparent a 1 unit course. Extension 2 is also a 2 unit course as you also have to sit the exam for english 2 units. When I mean extension 2 is 2 units, I meant that for doing it u have to do extension 1 and extension 2 which are both out of 50 marks. Thus totalling 100.

I thought Extension 2 English is 1 unit because
Advanced English (2unit) + Extension 1 English (1unit) + Extension 2 English (1unit) = 4 unit English.

jules.09

HSC
kaz1 said:
I thought Extension 2 English is 1 unit because
Advanced English (2unit) + Extension 1 English (1unit) + Extension 2 English (1unit) = 4 unit English.
I think he means both extensions, as opposed to just the 4th unit (extension 2 english).

Math is a different matter though. Extension 1 math = 2 units, extension 2 math = 2 unit, but I think that was established earlier. :)

kusokc

HSC
cant wait to drop physics..

since i came almost last place in the half yearly.. /_\..

i will be so much better if i picked legal studies/geography instead of physics..

i just cant stand with those motion stuff.. ..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)